LODgen running for 2.5 hours AFTER DynDOLOD "finishes"

BlacksburgNick

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is an actual issue, but it seems strange.  When I run DynDOLOD (SSE), the process "completes" at around 40 minutes and I get the pop up asking me to save, exit, etc.  However, LODGen continues to run for another 2.5 hours.  I looked through my logs and found that it's LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log that runs for an extreme length.  The other ones all complete in 30-40 minutes.

I have a fairly high end system (7700k OCd to 4.9ghz, 16gb ram, samsung 960 m2 SSD).  Furthermore, I doubt any kind of thermal throttling is occuring because I delidded my CPU and use water cooling, so it rarely gets over 55c.  So, is this behavior "normal?"  I've attached my DynDOLOD SSE Log and I've included the Tamriel log below:

https://pastebin.com/ZfX4jmv2

Also, here is my Modlist:

https://pastebin.com/0QLQgKvj

Load Order:

https://pastebin.com/FngrdEfe

Lastly, I am on the relelease version of Windows 10 that includes the fall creators update. (not the testers stuff).  I am using DynDOLOD 2.35 and SE Resources 2.30.  

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

As explained many times before, LODGen runs longer the more verticies the objects for LOD have. Using full model fallback for 3D LOD trees for example adds a lot of vertices. LODGen will also run longer the more hi-res the terrain LOD meshes are.

There might be stuff running in the background taking away CPU cycles or maybe the CPU is throttled due to temps.

The vanilla game, just Tamriel takes about 5 minutes with vanilla 3D hybrid LOD trees, less with normal tree LOD obviously.

The DynDOLOD 2.36 beta for Skyrim SE with dynamic LOD will not be any faster, rather generating the plugins will take a couple minutes longer, too.

Edited by sheson

Hi Sheson,

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread.

I am having the exact same problem, but I followed LadyLexy's LotD guide here on the nexus and it looks like I am the only one. Other users have their DynDOLOD output (ultra trees setting) after 20-30 minutes and get about 1.3 GB of data while I end up with 6.5 GB after 4 hours. Disabling the fallback option gives me the "good" result that everyone else gets.

I did not follow the guide by the letter, but if it comes to landscape, flora and tree mods, I am almost 100% with the guide. What could be the cause that my outcome is so different from other one's? I have High Poly Project and Enhanced Textures UV as additional mods, but disabling them (from MO2) made no difference. Could it nevertheless be these two mods and I have to REMOVE them for LOD generation instead of just disabling?

Thanks for your help, your support and the fantastic work you share with us.

Edited by Shabdez

I do not support third party guides.

If there are more objects with LOD, it takes longer and will create larger files.

If there are more triangles in the models used for LOD, it takes longer and will create larger files.

If there are more triangles in the terrain meshes, it takes longer.

It should be no surprise that using full model fallback for 3D tree LOD instead of billboards takes a magnitude longer and creates much larger files. I suggest to read Docs/trees.ultra/DynDOLOD-Trees.html and in case 3D tree LOD is desired, to only use tree mods that properly support 3D tree LOD with optimized 3D LOD models and textures. Full model fallback is an option for advanced users because it is technically possible, not something that should be generally used - for a number of reasons.

Disabling mods makes no sense. If a mod has resources that are used for LOD, then the resources should be enabled or else the generated LOD would be incorrect. If a mod does not have resources used for LOD, then disabling the resources makes no difference. Use the appropriate generation settings and rules to determine which models are used for LOD.

Sheson... when this happens, you are not supposed to close LODgen? It closes on its own? I've been closing it after I get the "save and exit" option. I assumed the lodgen just forgot to close itself. Is that why I'm getting tree popin? I need to leave the lodgen open for a few more hours?

Also when I stress my CPU using other programs it gets 70 degrees C tops. When I run dyndolod it pushes my CPU past 90 degrees and the wattage goes up to 108. What the heck...

90 C is too hot, you need a better cooling solution. Your processor is likely throttling which will lead to longer run times for DynDOLOD. Running sustained at 90 C will eventually degrade your processor. You could try generating LOD for only one world at a time but keep an eye on the temps. What CPU do you have?

Sheson... when this happens, you are not supposed to close LODgen? It closes on its own? I've been closing it after I get the "save and exit" option. I assumed the lodgen just forgot to close itself. Is that why I'm getting tree popin? I need to leave the lodgen open for a few more hours?

Also when I stress my CPU using other programs it gets 70 degrees C tops. When I run dyndolod it pushes my CPU past 90 degrees and the wattage goes up to 108. What the heck...

The obvious answer is that if you kill a process prematurely, it can not complete its task. You should not kill the LODGen.exe process that generates the object LOD if you want complete LODs. You will just have to let the processes finish on their own.

If DynDOLOD gives up waiting for LODGen it should print a message similar to Gave up waiting for LODgen to become available. Wait for LODGen to finish before closing DynDOLOD.exe. DynDOLOD.exe should stay open in case MO is used, so that the virtual file system stays active.

Make sure the CPU (overclocking) setup is stable and cooling is in order. The tools use multi-threading to make use of all cores.

Edited by sheson