AMD CrossfireX Fix info outdated

VirusShell

Question

Hello!

First of all I would like to introduce myself and also say I usually tend to stay quiet but I do involve myself every now and then when I feel I should.

I noticed that on the wiki there was/ has been info for a possible fix for users like myself using CrossfireX. Due to a recent UI change on AMD's part the information there no longer applies to any user using 13.x drivers. It's a small change that almost makes the process previously used look backwards but it's also a bit smarter.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#Possible_Crossfire_Fix

I just wanted to mention that I took the time to do a quick addendum to the information already posted there. That way anyone else in my boat can get some help.

For what's it's worth, AMD posted the 13.2 beta 5 drivers yesterday. Also, anytime somebody with Crossfirex updates they should also look into disabling ULPS as this can lead to significant performance increases. I can add the steps on how to do this if it makes sense

7 answers to this question

Hello!

First of all I would like to introduce myself and also say I usually tend to stay quiet but I do involve myself every now and then when I feel I should.

I noticed that on the wiki there was/ has been info for a possible fix for users like myself using CrossfireX. Due to a recent UI change on AMD's part the information there no longer applies to any user using 13.x drivers. It's a small change that almost makes the process previously used look backwards but it's also a bit smarter.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#Possible_Crossfire_Fix

I just wanted to mention that I took the time to do a quick addendum to the information already posted there. That way anyone else in my boat can get some help. For what's it's worth, AMD posted the 13.2 beta 5 drivers yesterday

Thanks for doing this! I've been the only one maintaining that guide and I'm an NVIDIA user so there's no way for me to check the AMD information. I usually rely on Z for that stuff, but he says pretty busy so thanks again.

I'd also like to point out a few things:

1) AMD have changed their normal release cycle, with many betas being released each month. These often include important fixes and performance improvements, whilst not as important for Skyrim, they might provide proper support for newer games.

2) AMD seems to have ditched the Catalyst Application Profiles. That means that for proper CrossfireX support you will need to shift a lot of drivers, see above.

3) AMD have released an uninstallation tool for their drivers. I highly recommend that less experienced users use it to uninstall old drivers before upgrading:

https://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

1) AMD have changed their normal release cycle, with many betas being released each month. These often include important fixes and performance improvements, whilst not as important for Skyrim, they might provide proper support for newer games.

2) AMD seems to have ditched the Catalyst Application Profiles. That means that for proper CrossfireX support you will need to shift a lot of drivers, see above.

3) AMD have released an uninstallation tool for their drivers. I highly recommend that less experienced users use it to uninstall old drivers before upgrading:

I do know that 13.2 Beta 3 did have a performance increase directly related to Skyrim.

While it's true that AMD did indeed change their release cycles, I seem to recall that CAP's are still somewhat important. I believe I remember seeing that it was recommended to have the previous CAP (12.11 CAP 2) installed for the 13.X drivers.

Thanks for posting the uninstall tool! I did not know it existed. I've been doing it with Driver Cleaner. But it's been outdated for years

I do know that 13.2 Beta 3 did have a performance increase directly related to Skyrim.

While it's true that AMD did indeed change their release cycles, I seem to recall that CAP's are still somewhat important. I believe I remember seeing that it was recommended to have the previous CAP (12.11 CAP 2) installed for the 13.X drivers

Thanks, I'll investigate this further and see what comes up.

If the beta drivers bring some improvements to Skyrim, then by all means, they should be recommended in the STEP guide.

I'm not entirely sure by what is meant by "Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2" to be honest. But while playing BL2 last night it did seem to perform better. However, without having any sort of data to back that up it . . .

Here is a link to the most recent beta notes: https://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst132BetaDriver.aspx

I am currently using the 13.2 Beta 3 drivers (just downloaded the 13.2 Beta 5 drivers) concerning caps... you are NOT suppose to use 12.11 CAP 2 with the Beta drivers. The caps are built into the Beta drivers.

For the caps to show up in the new catalyst ui you need to click on add, then point to the game .exe (ie TESV.exe) once you do that the crossfire profiles will appear.

The 12.11 CAP 2 is to be used with the 13.1 release.

I am not sure any of this has changed I have not installed the new beta yet.

Also, word of warning on using the new AMD uninstaller... if your system is a full AMD system it will remove everything! not just the display stuff. I found out the hard way when I used it before installing the 13.2 beta 3 driver .