ftreeloaddistance or Distant Object Detail on Ultra causing Stuttering...fix?

drift123

Question

Hi,

I've started modding Skyrim on a new PC with decent specs, and was surprised when I was experiencing noticeable "macro-stuttering" when running around outside Whiterun on a horse in third person. After much testing and research, I came across a 2015 post on here by DynDOLOD mod author Sheson, claiming that when ftreeloaddistance is set to 1,000,000 , and you cross a cell border it causes stuttering.

So I tried it out and enabled cell borders in the console and set ftreeloaddistance to 1000000. Sure enough whenever I crossed a cell border there was a large stutter. When I put this value down to 40,000 , or set Distant Object Detail from Ultra to High, the stutters went away or became too small too notice.

My question is if this issue has been fixed or if there is a way to keep Distant Object Detail on Ultra and still remove this stutter?

Thanks!

The tools and settings for Skyrim exist to make it run fine until it hits x86 memory barriers or Direct X9 draw call limitations.

Skyrim SE does not suffer from the 3rd person tree LOD cell border stutter. Its advantage is that it has higher limits before needing optimization.

Use Medium preset. Use Billboards for LOD4 insead of 3D tree LOD

Skyim can run without loading stutter. I find it best to set ReservedMemoryMB to any value with the mouse rotator thingy while using cursor keys to move to find the sweet spot.

Test with CrashFixes UseOsAllocators=1. Use BethINIs.

Best to find a recent guide for best performance for whatever OS you are using.

This fixed all my stutter problems even with a HDD! :)

You guys should fix the "Post Edit Function" aswell.

Hope the little donation will help.

Keep up the great work especially Sheason, Step Project and Gamer Poets!

THANK YOU! :)