Skyrim crashing on startup when running SKSE through Mod Organizer even when no mods are activated

Nincro

Question

Hey guys, I hear alot of people are having this issue and could not find a fix.

I've run both through when given admin privleges and that didn't fix it.

Checked to make sure that my SKSE.ini was in the folder SkyrimSE>Data>Skse>

Here is the contents

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
;EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
;DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
;ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Any other info I can give you?

13 answers to this question

If Skyrim or Mod Organizer is in Program Files or any other folder controlled by UAC, you should move it to a folder owned by you to avoid potential permission issues.

When you install SKSE, you should copy the *.dll and *.exe files into the Skyrim directory (e.g. C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim). You should then install the remaining bits (notably the scripts folder) as a mod in Mod Organizer and add the skse.ini file to this mod. This way you are using the skse.ini file in Mod Organizer so you don't need one in the game's data folder. The following link contains the detailed instructions on how to properly install SKSE with Mod Organizer and provides the recommended contents for skse.ini.

Skyrim Script Extender Recommendations

Edit: I forgot to mention to make sure you are using the latest version of Mod Organizer 2 on discord.

Do you by any chance have Mod Organizer installed in the Steam or Skyrim folder? If so, you should move it somewhere else because this is known to cause issues like this. And just to be certain we're poking in the right direction, you can run skyrimse.exe from Mod Organizer and the game works fine?

Firstly I'd argue that there are NOT a lot of people having this issue, but that's neither here nor there.  ::):

Since you say that SKSE crashes when run from MO2 but not when the vanilla game executable is called the first place to look is your SKSE install. Since you say that you have followed the instructions @Greg posted I'd look at the contents of the SKSE mod as defined in MO2. I can't recall off the top of my head what the correct INI settings are so make 100% that nothing is out of place.

I would also suggest you move MO2 to a folder directly off the root such as: C:\MO2 rather than as a sub-folder within the Program Files folder.

Lastly you should post your logs with your issue reports as it is almost impossible to tell what is happening without some diagnostic information.

Reporting Issues: When reporting an issue, you should always provide your MO2 version, windows version (run winwer to see build number) and your mo_interface.log (drag&drop on discord) that can be found in: \logs inside the ModOrganizer folder if you use a portable Instance, or in: appdata\local\modorganizer\<InstanceName>\logs if you have a global instance of MO. From MO2 v2.1.2 you can also open the logs folder from the new "Open folder" menu over the mod-list (Close MO before actually sending the Logs because those are written only after exiting the program). If you are asked for the Usvfs log, please set your log level to debug in the MO2 settings (under Diagnostics), restart MO to let the setting take effect, reproduce the issue (making the minimum amount of steps required for it to keep the log relevant), close MO (otherwise the logs are not fully written) and drag&drop the usvfs log on discord to send it (If it is too big to send you can zip it and if that is not enough, you will need to use either Mega or DropBox or similar services).

This is from the MO2 Discord app so where it says to drag/drop onto Discord, instead post it here inside "spoiler tags".

The link below to the Citizenship Guidelines has instructions on how to do that.

Hi,

Since I am having the same problem I thought I would piggyback on this thread.

Setup is:

- Windows 7

- MO2 2.1.2 - Installed on D: drive outside of Game folder

- Skyrim SE Latest - Installed on D: Drive

- Using Mods from Tech's SSE step guide

I have been playing for about 3 months with no problems. Stopped playing for a while during which SSE was updated [sigh].

I have updated:

- SKSE 

- PapyrusUtil

- moreHUD

The crash message is the ever helpful - 'Skyrim SE stopped working etc...' It doesn't get very far as I can still see MO2 in background.

I can run the native Skyrim Launcher with no apparent problems.

I have attached the log file. I set the MO2 Diagnostics to Debug

usvfs-2018-05-02_12-26-34.txt

Cheers,

Steve

@GrantSP - thanks I have done as you suggested and while still not fixed I thought I would pass on the things they have had me try. Try each one separately. They don't solve the problem really but they can provide info for helping find solution so mention on Discord . 

- Try using Default Profile , i.e. no mods loading - this didn't work 

- Configure Default profile - uncheck the Local Game  Settings - this didn't work 

- Try run outside MO2 using Steam Launcher - this worked for me

- Try run outside MO2 using SKSE - this worked for me

- Try a new instance of MO2. You can do this with button in Top Left. This worked for me but since there were no mod it would be like starting from scratch.

Cheers,

Steve

FYI, I think I find the issue with my crashing. I can now get into SSE and load a game after updating the Unofficial Patch.

So for me using TechAngel's modding guide after the SSE update I had to update the following mods/files

SKSE

- PapyrusUtil

- moreHUD

- Unofficial Patch - The only issue that I might have is during update process I saw it was using textures.bsa so not sure if it has overridden textures

Cheers,

Steve