Automatic Variants (by Leviathan1753)

Anosognos

Any updates on the "good/essential" packs or new things for Automatic Variants? I know there has been several revisions since this was written and I'm looking to put it in my next guide update.

I really want to use this one, but I find that there are only a couple of mod authors that have created AV "plugins". I just don't have the time to mess with creating AV-compatible versions of the obvious candidate mods, so waiting for this to become more popular.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to AV, in my searching I haven't really found that many competing texture mods for creatures. The ones linked from his site that have AV packages are about the only ones competing and you can still use individual mods for creatures not touched by the AV program(Dragons, Frost Atronach, etc.) while still maintaining variety with the others (bears, mammoths, etc.) I'm going to play around with this some more and maybe even figure out how to make AV packages out of the various other mods if required. Will take a bit of time but I think in the end it will be worth it.

To be fair to AV' date=' in my searching I haven't really found that many competing texture mods for creatures. The ones linked from his site that have AV packages are about the only ones competing and you can still use individual mods for creatures not touched by the AV program(Dragons, Frost Atronach, etc.) while still maintaining variety with the others (bears, mammoths, etc.) I'm going to play around with this some more and maybe even figure out how to make AV packages out of the various other mods if required. Will take a bit of time but I think in the end it will be worth it.[/quote']

If you find an easy process to install and make AV packages or make notes along your journey, you could create a guide for with wiki. :whistling:

To be fair to AV' date=' in my searching I haven't really found that many competing texture mods for creatures. The ones linked from his site that have AV packages are about the only ones competing and you can still use individual mods for creatures not touched by the AV program(Dragons, Frost Atronach, etc.) while still maintaining variety with the others (bears, mammoths, etc.) I'm going to play around with this some more and maybe even figure out how to make AV packages out of the various other mods if required. Will take a bit of time but I think in the end it will be worth it.[/quote']

I am not thinking of competing mods (although that is an interesting idea too). Rather mods with many different options (e.g., Soul Gems Differ, Bellyache's Crits, Deadly Spell Impacts, many, many more)

I've tested this mod several times with all the available AV packs and have had to exclude it from the heavily modded skyrim I run - while it does randomize enemy/creature textures, it also causes CTD's or freeze's at the start of battles. I think it just requires too much from game+pc at this stage, even after running the optimizer & compressing the textures. I have also have a lot of combat mods installed so it may just be too many mods running at the same time (during combat) when this one is included.

Peace.

I've tested this mod several times with all the available AV packs and have had to exclude it from the heavily modded skyrim I run - while it does randomize enemy/creature textures, it also causes CTD's or freeze's at the start of battles. I think it just requires too much from game+pc at this stage, even after running the optimizer & compressing the textures. I have also have a lot of combat mods installed so it may just be too many mods running at the same time (during combat) when this one is included.

Peace.

Can someone corroborate with the mod author and get back? I know it is still in active dev.

• 1 month later...

Are there still issues with it? Does it really cause CTDs.

I removed it quite some time ago, when it would continuously cause CTDs for me in the same cave. Spoiler(the one with the red nirnroot)

I would like to use it for Trolls, giants and Falmer. But Skyrim is not so big, even in the wild there is very little variation amongst most animals. Especially bellyaches rabbits I find unrealistic, how many different colored rabbits do you see in a wood where foxes live? And how many differnt types of wolves and foxes have you seen? Personally I like the creatures to remain rather similar to oneanother. A wolf pack usually contains all similar wolves (except in some zoo's). However, the more humanoid/elf like creatures would be more appropriate to have variation IMO. If it is stable, I would like to use some of those packs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finishing off my clean Skyrim/STEP install in a few day. Going to include AV and see if I get any problems.

Yes pls report your experience because I just finished following STEP (+ a few extra mods) and I'm already experiencing some CTDs and sound/music not loading up, and I'd love to include AV but it seems like it's already overdoing it on my machine.