Barrow Button Fix (by OfftheRails)

stoppingby4now

• 2 months later...

Browsing a bit on the Unofficial Patch forums, and Arthmoor responded to a question about this mod, saying...

This one isn't actually a bug fix. That button is a decoy. The real activator is the helm itself.

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3636-mods-made-obsolete-by-unofficial-patches/?p=145258

If this is the case, then it would appear that this mod is actually breaking an intended puzzle rather than fixing a problem.

I don't think so. Once it is open it should always stay open? The author did state that the helmet sometimes does not work (though that post was last summer and the intention of the mod). I am still personally going to uninstall the mod. The helmet works for me and I probably won't return once I go there.

There are other (I believe radiant) quests leading to Yngol Barrow. I had the problem, that my quest item spawned in the chest after the gate, which only opens when the helmet has been taken off the skeleton. The helmet only spawns when the quest for retrieving yngol's helmet has been started, so that's the actual problem.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a fix for this issue that would only allow the pull chain to activate the door if the helmet wasn't present, but would disable the pull chain if the helmet was there or if the specific quest involving the helmet was active.

That sounds good. A possible way to implement that (don't know if it's the best way) would be to have the pull chain be deactivated during the duration of the Yngol Barrow quest, and have both the hidden lever and the chain be valid activation methods for the portcullis. Of course, this means that there would be a suddenly appearing pull chain on the next visit to the barrows, but that's a minor problem. It also means that the quest entry for the Barrow needs to be modified to have the portcullis as a alias, so compatibility problems will be created with anything that modifies the Barrow quest. Then again, if I go that route, I will be sure to have a version with the Even Better Quest Objectives objective.

Thanks all for the work on this.

I am adding this "fix" to the list of STEP removals for 2.2.5. We'll watch for WI's fix in the meantime ... what are Arthmoor's plans for this bug in the USP?

May be wise to submit the plugin edits to that team for incorporation into the USP.

I brought this up to Arthmoor - he said that no radiant quests sent him to the Barrow. I know the UESP says that one other quest goes to the area, but that seems to be taken care of via script already. Think that going to the Barrow before you get the quest can cause the issue.

I'll bring this up again in the chat again to see the general opinion - didn't really see one last time. May also report this on the Tracdown as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

After discussing with Arthmoor more, this "barrow button" is a non-issue. The Barrow is marked as a non resettable zone, and even if you enter the Barrow before the quest, the trigger doesn't depend on the quest being active.

So, there's no point in fixing it at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2