DoubleYou

Don't know which game you are playing, but mostly draw distances, i.e., how far you can see certain things in detail. If you like medium well enough, use it. The goal is to always have good fps. I tried to tweak it so that it would not be bothersome until you get to the low and poor presets, and low really isn't too terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with FOV in FO4 after giving the FO76 beta a few tries, and noticed BethINI only touches the setting for third-person.

Ran a good chunk of tests, and ended up with this:

"fDefault1stPersonFOV"
Ongoing game: Controls first-person FOV.
New game: Controls first-person FOV and viewmodel FOV/size for weapons and Pip-Boy.

"fDefaultFOV"
Ongoing game: Affects size of the translucent backgrounds that are part of the main menu and HUD, loading screen background, Power Armor HUD and Power Armor Pip-Boy.
New game: Same as above.
(Don't touch this one, obviously.)

"fDefaultWorldFOV"
Ongoing game: Controls third-person FOV.
New game: Same as above.

Only the FOV for weapon and Pip-Boy viewmodels are baked into the save, which is derived from fDefault1stPersonFOV on a new game start, but it can be permanently changed for your playthrough with the FOV console command. For example, "FOV 80 100" for someone with a FOV of 100.

So if you want your FOV higher than default (and without super tiny weapons and Pip-Boy) for a new playthrough, you need at least some form of involvement;

A. Start with all changes in place and apply the FOV tweak once with the console command.

or

B. Start without changes to fDefault1stPersonFOV, save and quit as soon you can, apply changes to fDefault1stPersonFOV and you're ready to continue playing.

On a sidenote, the FOV settings behave almost identical in FO76. The only difference I could find was that seemingly none of it was part of the save (see "new game"), but your viewmodel FOV would reset to default either over time or with the use of VATS/Power Armor. (Didn't pinpoint the culprit exactly.)

Edited by GamebryoWizard

• 3 weeks later...

I've came across a setting in skyrimprefs that appears to be changed by selecting bethINI presets but not vanilla presets when running this tool.

[TerrainManager]
fSplitDistanceMult=(was 4.0000) I set it to fSplitDistanceMult=1.5 which fixed a culling data glitch I was getting with 4.

Any reason for 4 with a better (INI) solution to this glitch? Link is basically what 4 does and what 1.5 fixes for me.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6314?tab=description

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI/TerrainManager

A value of 4 was chosen for improved LOD detail. Of course, this value is pushing it beyond vanilla values, attempting to bring in more detail and combat z-fighting. If there are places where there are vanilla bugs, like the area you mentioned, changing the LOD settings lower may hide them, at the expense of other areas. I think the value of 4 was only used for ultra. I recommend using high

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI/TerrainManager

A value of 4 was chosen for improved LOD detail. Of course, this value is pushing it beyond vanilla values, attempting to bring in more detail and combat z-fighting. If there are places where there are vanilla bugs, like the area you mentioned, changing the LOD settings lower may hide them, at the expense of other areas. I think the value of 4 was only used for ultra. I recommend using high

Thanks, I believe that's the link I came up with 1.5 from, I tried 2 same results as 4. Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with whole numbers vs decimals, maybe the .5's. Those "other areas" are where I'm struggling atm, some I've hammered out with other ini changes, others not so much, mainly LOD pop in.  I have a whole tweak log & corresponding INI backups along with graphics card settings with fSplitDistanceMult=1.5 if there's any interest in it. I'm playing on ultra with a beastly system so many of my current values I've set above what bethINI sets for ultra, sourced from old STEP ini guide, sse step ini default values, step forums & rarely "other sources". Averaging 60 fps, smooth gameplay for the most part.

Back to square one now with BethINI tweaked presets and decimals for fSplitDistanceMult or maybe try raising my other lod values before messing with split distance.

Edited by headfull

New start, sorry wouldn't let me edit my last post again. Max settings in the main game launcher, then max selected in bethINI related to fade, detail, etc. No FXAA.  Black squares in the ocean.

-

fSplitDistanceMult=4  Bad >> 3.5000 >>>>>>>>2.5 >> 4.5 >> 6 >> 1.90 GOOD >> 1.9999 >> BAD >> 1.9990 >> 1.9900 >> 1.9900 >> 1.9005 Eh.. >> 1.9

Issues with this exact set-up:

Bad: Mid LOD for water and landscapes has bad pop in. Seems ok far, mid has a lod line part animated part not, stays mid till fairly close. Rare flashing particle effect: Steam vents. A separate issue not caused by but not fixed by this tool -

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7188971-nearly-vanilla-water-lod-bug-missing-water-from-a-distance/

Not expecting hands on tech support, just explaining why I started fiddling with the ini's & came across the splitdistance which fixed part of the linked thread's problem.

The Good: Close lod looks great even in "my hole"; far lod looks great, I might add back fxaa sharpen it up.

I found a "patch" for the ocean problem but if it can be solved with ini...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6314?tab=description

I may take this whole split distance and how to counter the ocean hole at 4 to an existing/separate thread, up to UU.

Hello,

I've recently downloaded your Mod (thanks for the hard work btw) for use on Fallout 4.

I've been editing the ini files manually up until now, and your mod is much appreciated.

I used the option to turn Godrays off and noticed that the only change it made was to turn bVolumetricLightingEnable to 0.

The ini file saves down with this setting. But my understanding was that this alone was not enough to turn godrays off and to do so required turning bNvGodraysEnable to 0 in the Fallout.ini (something the launcher doesn't do even when you set them to off).

I noticed that this setting isn't in the Fallout.ini file saved by BethINI - and that it doesn't appear in the list of setting here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/9309-fallout-4-default-values-for-all-valid-ini-settings/

But it is in the Fallout4_Default.ini file, as well as the original Fallout4.ini found in the user folders. Could you please clarify this for me?

Many thanks.