DoubleYou

I have yet to figure out how this bug is caused. Thanks for the log file. The more I have, the more I can narrow it down. I have a theory that I would like to test, if you are willing. Could you try the following and see if it gives you the error message or not?

1. Copy Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini to your desktop.

2. Open BethINI and go to the Setup tab.

3. Click the INI Path dropdown and select Browse...

4. Browse and select the INI files copied to your desktop.

5. Go to the Basic tab and click Save and Exit.

Let me know if it still throws the error.

I have yet to figure out how this bug is caused. Thanks for the log file. The more I have, the more I can narrow it down. I have a theory that I would like to test, if you are willing. Could you try the following and see if it gives you the error message or not?

1. Copy Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini to your desktop.

2. Open BethINI and go to the Setup tab.

3. Click the INI Path dropdown and select Browse...

4. Browse and select the INI files copied to your desktop.

5. Go to the Basic tab and click Save and Exit.

Let me know if it still throws the error.

just a heads up. been lurking to see if others had the same error. fixed the pathing and tried to use this "fix" here. still throws the same error. 

Thanks for trying that. I will see about making a workaround in the future, since I can't seem to find the cause.

I've also tried the pathing fix, unfortunately, I still get the same error. If there's anything I can do to help narrow the cause, I'd be glad to do so.

I've also tried the pathing fix, unfortunately, I still get the same error. If there's anything I can do to help narrow the cause, I'd be glad to do so.

Thanks for trying that. I will see about making a workaround in the future, since I can't seem to find the cause.

and i will gladly second that. im checking this forum daily so let us know if theres anything at all we can help try to figure this out. your tool is beyond useful and i think anyone here is glad to help further this tool for the sake of the rest of the community regardless of the problems that may arise! :)

and i will gladly second that. im checking this forum daily so let us know if theres anything at all we can help try to figure this out. your tool is beyond useful and i think anyone here is glad to help further this tool for the sake of the rest of the community regardless of the problems that may arise! :)

Thanks for the support. I've got a potential fix prepped for release, and I'm just waiting for the final antivirus to give me the green checkmark. Do you guys happen to have one of the other games that BethINI works on, and if so, does it cause the same problem?

Version 3.2

• New Tweak: Eye Environment Mapping under Detail for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.
  • Unlocked Tweak: Light Fade under Detail for Oblivion.
  • New Feature: BethINI now allows the user to decide whether or not BethINI will modify Custom INI files. The feature will only show itself if a Custom INI file is found, and if it has not been setup already, prompt the user to decide if they want it modified at startup.
  • Bugfix: Due to reports of the invalid settings auto-detection running wild and deleting perfectly valid INI settings, I have added a routine to auto-detect if the auto-detection is bugging out, disabling this feature. I have also added a toggle for it, called "Auto-detect Invalid Settings," in the Setup tab. This should fix this bug, for which I have yet to be able to find the cause.
  • Bugfix: The statusbar did not display everything that it was supposed to display.
  • Bugfix: The "Please Wait: Loading" message was turned off before startup was completed.
  • Bugfix: The main GUI elements could be used before startup was completed. They now will be disabled until startup is finished.
  • Bugfix: If the user clicks the close button at the Choose Game dialog box while using the Autohotkey Script version, the script now will close correctly.

There have been a few users on Lexy's Discord reporting that some of the INI changes made (Grass Fade for one, though there are reportedly others) are not actually being changed by BETHINI when they are set... many are having to go into the INI and make those changes manually. Is this something you are already aware of?

Edited by Shadriss

There have been a few users on Lexy's Discord reporting that some of the INI changes made (Grass Fade for one, though there are reportedly others) are not actually being changed by BETHINI when they are set... many are having to go into the INI and make those changes manually. Is this something you are already aware of?

I answered the grass fade question already. I use fGrassFadeRange to extend from the fGrassStartFadeDistance, so there is no need to extend fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance to 18000 or whatever, because that is where the grass starts to fade, and fGrassFadeRange populates grass beyond this starting distance, causing a gradual transition while moving entirely free from grass pop-in. And actually fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance merely sets the max value of the in-game slider in settings and has no real effect on the game, although obviously if you had it less than fGrassStartFadeDistance and then opened in-game settings and adjusted the slider, that would be bad. You will notice that I use the same method for light fade, as it works the same way.

DoubleYou, my skyrimprefs are not reordering into alphabetical order with the new version. Any ideas what could be causing this?

After further review, I don't know what is causing that. I thought I had made a mistake, but everything seems to be working on my end. Are you sure you are pointing to the correct INI files?

I answered the grass fade question already. I use fGrassFadeRange to extend from the fGrassStartFadeDistance, so there is no need to extend fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance to 18000 or whatever, because that is where the grass starts to fade, and fGrassFadeRange populates grass beyond this starting distance, causing a gradual transition while moving entirely free from grass pop-in. And actually fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance merely sets the max value of the in-game slider in settings and has no real effect on the game, although obviously if you had it less than fGrassStartFadeDistance and then opened in-game settings and adjusted the slider, that would be bad. You will notice that I use the same method for light fade, as it works the same way.

Thanks for this - I'll pass it on to the relevant people.