DoubleYou

Skyrim SE user, Bethini user, have the latest version.

Does using Bethini negate the skyrim.ini file found in documents>mygames>skyrimspecialedition ?

I'm trying to eliminate door fade via the instructions shown here  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23743

for your convenience I'll C/P them here

1 - Go to \Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition and open skyrim.ini
2 - Under [General] add the lines:

fAutoDoorFadeSecs=0.0001
fFastTravelFadeSecs=0.0001
fLoadGameFadeSecs=0.0001
fNormalDoorFadeSecs=0.0001
fNormalDoorFadeWait=0.0001

[interface]

fFadeToBlackFadeSeconds=0.0001
fMinSecondsForLoadFadeIn=0.0001
fSleepFaderTime=0.0001

and it is having no effect on my game.  Does bethini bypass the skyrim.ini file?  Any ideas?

Edited by piranha45

BethINI does not bypass the Skyrim.ini file, and if you make those tweaks, they should work. You may try to apply these tweaks via the Custom tab. If it doesn't work, you may have a plugin-loaded INI that could be overwriting it. Or if you have a SkyrimCustom.ini with alternate values, you may need to change those. Please note that if you use Mod Organizer, your INI files in Documents\My Games will not be used.

That game setting cannot be set by using INI files, which is why you didn't find it in the Custom tab. I know the mod page says they work, but I just tested it and they don't.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was worried about!

testing I done on skyrim special edition in the hopes of dealing with this bug

fShadowBiasScale don't do nothing, no matter the value

fFirstSliceDistance max value is half of the fShadowDistance value (I try to set both the same, since that bug happens at the end of fFirstSliceDistance), maybe there is a way to change this and match both values?

here's a save, whiterun facing some houses, load it up and the bug will be present on the roofs (like in the video)

this is vanilla ultra settings, so fFirstSlice 2000, fShadowDistance 10000 and 4096 shadow resolution

no mods

if you test the save, please report your video card model. I suspect this is a shader issue tied with specific hardware

I have a gtx960 btw

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r63si2fe4u58by/Save3_00000000_0_4E6F7264_WhiterunWorld_000036_20190701212713_1_1.ess?dl=0

Okay, so this is a vanilla shadow distance issue after testing. Bethesda's implementation of shadows has always been buggy. You can try a number of things to combat it, after some testing:

1. Increase the shadow bias (fShadowDirectionalBiasScale). This will generally lessen the effect, but not much. A value of 1 was used in comparison to 0.15 (my preferred) and 0.3 (vanilla preset value).

2. Hit the Remove Shadows checkbox for a huge performance gain and entire elimination of the buggy Skyrim shadows! LOL. Not recommended.

3. Change the Detailed Draw Distance value (fFirstSliceDistance). Vanilla presets set this to 2000. Default value is 1250. BethINI High is 2800. BethINI Ultra is 3500. None of these values eliminate the effect, but you are less likely to notice it the farther you push it away from you. Of course, if you set this to 0, you will hardly notice it at all, as you would have to be right up next to it for the shadows to be at all detailed. But then all your shadows look like crap. Alternatively, push the value out to, say, 8000, and I couldn't position myself to see the issue at all. at 4000 I couldn't find it either, but you seem to have to be at just the right spot to find it at higher values.

4. Exterior Draw Distance (fShadowDistance) does play a role in this. For instance, if you put it at the same value as Detailed Draw Distance, the issue will be exacerbated. Best to put some distance between the two.

Hope this helps. Personally I use BethINI High settings and could barely find this issue. I had to look pretty hard and line it up just right.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, currently following the STEP Guide. Installed and configured BethINI and following all instructions by letter, including the option of making the INI read only and directing the INI file path to the correct location, which is in C:/user/AppData/Local/ModOrganizer/Skyrim/profiles/Step Core/skyrim.ini. I saved and exited, however, when starting Mod Organizer, it says that MO is attempting to write over to the mentioned file location. Am I doing it wrong? Should I clear the read only flag? Thank you.

Hi, currently following the STEP Guide. Installed and configured BethINI and following all instructions by letter, including the option of making the INI read only and directing the INI file path to the correct location, which is in C:/user/AppData/Local/ModOrganizer/Skyrim/profiles/Step Core/skyrim.ini. I saved and exited, however, when starting Mod Organizer, it says that MO is attempting to write over to the mentioned file location. Am I doing it wrong? Should I clear the read only flag? Thank you.

If it's the prompt I'm thinking that you're getting, it's because the newer versions of BethINI adds the custom INI, if it's missing. Just let it overwrite, make sure your settings are correctly set, and save.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A really handy option would be a setting whereby the entries are sorted but nothing else is changed. That way, if I want to do a line-by-line comparison of two files, it's much easier. As it is, anything I run through bethINI is likely to be changed, in some way, which makes it impossible to see exactly what the original file contained.

This would also be helpful for organizing other ini files that bethINI wouldn't otherwise recognize.

Edited by sr383