DoubleYou

I have never heard this tweak being criticized before. This just increases the loading screen time by 1.5 seconds in order to give scripts a little more time to finish before you start playing. There are several other tweaks to Papyrus that have been considered unsafe, but never this one that I have heard.

Nope, that's not what fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS does. This is the frequency of Papyrus updates, specifically the OnUpdate() event and EvaluatePackage() function. It probably shouldn't be changed, as rather a large number of scripts were developed with the default value.

Higher numbers probably seem to improve performance, because so many environmental scripts update. For example, butterflies and fish will change direction far less often.

To test:

• With BethINI 2000.0, the Touring Carriages horse comes to each path waymarker, pauses for a significant period, then goes onward to the next waymarker.
  • With default 500.0, and a carefully tested radius distance for the marker package OnEnd completion scriptlet, the travel has no obvious pauses.

Also a brief mention as you are probably already well aware: currently https://wiki.step-project.com/BethINI has a number of fields that are no longer present and is missing a few others.

BethINI has improved substantially since last I tried it circa 3 years ago on alt3rnity's recommendation over at AFKMods. Had to revert. This time around, it was a reference by RWT FAQ. Hopefully it does the trick.

I'll try it some more over the next week, but this problem was particularly obvious.

Hey DoubleYou,

I have been toying with Skyrim SE lately. Thanks again for your great tool, it really helped. I got some questions if you would be willing to help out:

It seems that some DoF blur effects where not entirely disabled by disabling DoF. I still had some DoF blur going on, dunno why.

Is there a way to make grass fade more aggressively towards the edge? I'd like to start the fade earlier and have lighter grass at the end.

[edit] found a guide for some of these settings. Do you happen to know if terrain lod setting distances are similar for LE and SE?

Is fMeshLOD used by the game? Does this actually reduce poly count?

Did you notice much of a difference with decals and particles? Particles can be a performance hog in some engines, so it might be desirable to restrict them in some way. It would be nice to have some indication on what kind of visual difference to expect, what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by Spock

1. There are multiple types of blurring. Not sure which one you may be referring to, but a picture couldn't hurt.

2. I am not sure that you can entirely do that with the grass fade. You could try setting the fGrassStartFadeDistance lower and increasing fGrassFadeRange to compensate.

3. TerrainManager settings are virtually identical. Read the information in DynDoLOD documentation to gain a good understanding of these settings.

4. fMesh settings do significantly impact the game both visually and performance-wise. I don't know if it reduces the poly count, as I never tested for that.

5. Decals do affect performance, but not terribly badly. Visually it makes a lot of difference. Particles don't seem to impact performance too much in my own testing. There isn't too much benefit to changing it, unless you use a mod that emphasizes them.

BethINI wont let me change fLightLODMaxStartFade and fLightLODRange in fallout 3's INI. Every time I change it in the custom tab and save, it goes back to 4637 for MaxStartFade or 10229 for LODRange. Other settings work including the other light/specular LOD settings.

I encountered a bug when using BethINI to manage the INI files of a Fallout New Vegas install managed by Mod Organizer 2. When BethINI looks for Mod Organizer profiles, it checks gameName in ModOrganizer.ini to find out which game is being managed, but MO2 calls it New Vegas while BethINI seems to expect Fallout New Vegas, leading it to conclude there are no applicable Mod Organizer profiles.

Here are two logs showing the correct behaviour when managing Oblivion and the erroneous behaviour when managing Fallout New Vegas.

Oblivion Mod Organizer, according to the INI file, appears to be located in C:\Games\Modding Tools\Mod Organizer 2\
MO Path: C:\Games\Modding Tools\Mod Organizer 2\
Mod Organizer is not portable. Try Mod Organizer 2 AppData location.
Mod Organizer Instances in AppData:
Fallout New Vegas is for: New Vegas
Oblivion is for: Oblivion
ModOrganizer.ini for Oblivion found at C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion
Skyrim Special Edition is for: Skyrim Special Edition
The following Mod Organizer instances could be used for this game: Oblivion
The Mod Organizer instance called "Oblivion" is managing a game located at C:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Oblivion\
The Mod Organizer instance called "Oblivion" is managing the same game BethINI is! Therefore, it will be set as the instance to locate Mod Organizer profiles.
ModOrganizer.ini for Oblivion found at C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion
Mod Organizer 2 Base Directory is C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion
Mod Organizer profiles for Oblivion are located at C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion\profiles
MO Profiles folder: C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion\profiles
User closed Mod Organizer before continuing. Draugr Apocalypse averted.
Fallout New Vegas Mod Organizer, according to the INI file, appears to be located in C:\Games\Modding Tools\Mod Organizer 2\
The following Mod Organizer instances could be used for this game:
Mod Organizer profiles for Fallout New Vegas are located at
MO Profiles folder:

Nope, that's not what fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS does. This is the frequency of Papyrus updates, specifically the OnUpdate() event and EvaluatePackage() function. It probably shouldn't be changed, as rather a large number of scripts were developed with the default value.

Higher numbers probably seem to improve performance, because so many environmental scripts update. For example, butterflies and fish will change direction far less often.

To test:

• With BethINI 2000.0, the Touring Carriages horse comes to each path waymarker, pauses for a significant period, then goes onward to the next waymarker.
  • With default 500.0, and a carefully tested radius distance for the marker package OnEnd completion scriptlet, the travel has no obvious pauses.
Also a brief mention as you are probably already well aware: currently https://wiki.step-project.com/BethINI has a number of fields that are no longer present and is missing a few others.

BethINI has improved substantially since last I tried it circa 3 years ago on alt3rnity's recommendation over at AFKMods. Had to revert. This time around, it was a reference by RWT FAQ. Hopefully it does the trick.

I'll try it some more over the next week, but this problem was particularly obvious.

I just got finished testing out Touring Carriages on Skyrim Special Edition. I did a run from Solitude to Riften, and I didn't experience any pauses whatsoever. I even tested setting it to 200000, and there were no pauses. Where are you getting this information from? When I did my research, I was going by information directly from a BGS developer located here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1487930-getting-a-lot-of-script-lag-going-over-10000-ms-sometimes/?p=23340131

Also, PS3 and XBOX uses 2000 for this value, and actually 2000 is the default value, and 500 is a Bethesda modification value, so I'm not so sure that this is a problem.

I encountered a bug when using BethINI to manage the INI files of a Fallout New Vegas install managed by Mod Organizer 2. When BethINI looks for Mod Organizer profiles, it checks gameName in ModOrganizer.ini to find out which game is being managed, but MO2 calls it New Vegas while BethINI seems to expect Fallout New Vegas, leading it to conclude there are no applicable Mod Organizer profiles.

Here are two logs showing the correct behaviour when managing Oblivion and the erroneous behaviour when managing Fallout New Vegas.

Oblivion Mod Organizer, according to the INI file, appears to be located in C:\Games\Modding Tools\Mod Organizer 2\
The following Mod Organizer instances could be used for this game: Oblivion
The Mod Organizer instance called "Oblivion" is managing a game located at C:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Oblivion\
The Mod Organizer instance called "Oblivion" is managing the same game BethINI is! Therefore, it will be set as the instance to locate Mod Organizer profiles.
Mod Organizer 2 Base Directory is C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion
Mod Organizer profiles for Oblivion are located at C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion\profiles
MO Profiles folder: C:\Users\[censored]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Oblivion\profiles
Fallout New Vegas Mod Organizer, according to the INI file, appears to be located in C:\Games\Modding Tools\Mod Organizer 2\
The following Mod Organizer instances could be used for this game:
Mod Organizer profiles for Fallout New Vegas are located at
MO Profiles folder:

Thanks for the detailed bug report. I have created a fix that will be included in the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DoubleYou,

I have a problem with bethINI (more of an inconvenience than an actual problem), which I don't know how to fix. It might've been answered previously, but I'll ask it still.

Problem is, bethINI takes a long time to scan the game folder, a very long time at that (~3-4 hours). In the beginning it bolts through some of the folders, but then starts to scan everything literally one-by-one. Now, I'm a MO2 user and, as per recommendation, I didn't install it through MO, but rather placed it in the game folder and tweaked everything in the setup window the first time I passed the scanning process. Now that I have to run bethINI again, it once again scans every single folder/subfolder/file it comes across. Pretty sure that 3-4 hours scanning isn't intended, so what could be a problem here. 

P.S.: It takes about 90 minutes just to finish scanning the game's data folder and it starts slowing down in the middle of the scripts folder. 

• 3 weeks later...

Please post your INI settings.

[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=0.5000
fVal0=0.5000
fVal1=0.5000
fVal2=1.0000
fVal3=0.2500
fVal4=1.0000
fVal5=1.0000
fVal6=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000