DoubleYou

I just tested it and it seemed to work fine. I coded it to set fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance 4000 higher than fGrassStartFadeDistance. I do realize that the way I set up the grass fade calculation is confusing, because I rely heavily on fGrassFadeRange, since it doesn't suffer from the bugs produced from pushing fGrassStartFadeDistance beyond the iGrassCellRadius. I may separate these two controls and set them to their calculated maximums to avoid issues.

Hi DoubleYou,

first off, thanks for all your work. Can you help me understand this a bit better? I would really like to be able to follow where the grass values end up and how they are calculated.

If I set Grass Fade to 18.001 (the 1 is so I could follow my change), I end up with fGrassFadeRange=13501 in the ini file. Now if I add 4000 to that, it's not 18.001.. So that has me confused.

Using BethINI Standalone Version-4875-3-3

Here's my entire grass section, for reference:

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
bDrawShaderGrass=1
fGrassFadeRange=13501
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
fGrassWindMagnitudeMax=125
fGrassWindMagnitudeMin=5
iGrassCellRadius=2
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
iMinGrassSize=60
Edited by Chopsicles

The 18001 number is the sum of fGrassStartFadeDistance in your Prefs INI file and fGrassFadeRange in the main INI file. It is coded to place 75% into fGrassFadeRange and 25% into fGrassStartFadeDistance. 4000 plus fGrassStartFadeDistance equals fMaxGrassStartFadeDistance in the Prefs INI. Since any valid value in the Prefs INI overrides the setting in the main INI file, BethINI does not change the setting in the main INI file, which is how you have a setting of 7000 showing there. The fMaxGrassStartFadeDistance only controls the in-game grass slider in the in-game settings, so it is only important that it be equal to or greater than fGrassStartFadeDistance.

The light fade slider is coded similarly.

I'm using MO2 (2.2.2.1) to mod Skyrim SE, and when I run LOOT from MO2, I get a pop-up window that says:

Mod organizer is attempting to write to "skyrim.ini" which is currently set to read-only.

The pop-up gives me three options:
  • Clear the read-only flag
  • Allow the write once (The file will be set to read-only again)
  • Skip this file

I haven't seen this message when I've modded the game before. This is a 100% fresh install, and the only thing I can think of that I did differently was I downloaded, installed, and ran the STEP BethINI file. The instructions for installing BethINI say to "prevent changes to the INIs, check the 'Make INIs Read-Only' box," which I did.

Based on that last sentence, my hunch is that I should choose "Skip this file" when I launch LOOT and see the pop-up, but I'd like to confirm that before I spend hours installing mods. Many thanks for any help!

post-7176-0-80264700-1586867115_thumb.png

Ok, thank you!! That helps me a ton. I didn't want to go through all the STEP mods and then find out I did this part wrong.

So just to make sure I have it right, it would be ok to go back into the BethINI app and uncheck the “Make INIs Read-Only†box? (As a more permanent option to choosing the second option in the LOOT window, as you said.)

Right. Setting the read only box is only for people who are afraid some other program is going to modify your INI files against your will. The main problem I have with the practice is that if you change your in-game settings (say you up the difficulty to Legendary), the setting won't be able to stick across successive launches because the INI files are set to read only. Only case where I would recommend using it is if you are using the Enderal Launcher, or it's older Oblivion Nehrim cousin, as otherwise it makes a lot of incorrect changes.

Right. Setting the read only box is only for people who are afraid some other program is going to modify your INI files against your will. The main problem I have with the practice is that if you change your in-game settings (say you up the difficulty to Legendary), the setting won't be able to stick across successive launches because the INI files are set to read only. Only case where I would recommend using it is if you are using the Enderal Launcher, or it's older Oblivion Nehrim cousin, as otherwise it makes a lot of incorrect changes.

When I saw that prompt after running BethINI, I mistakenly assumed you were recommending setting the INI files to read-only and clicked it. It didn't take long to regret that decision because Mod Organizer prompted to save the INI files every time I exited the game so I've since reverted these to writable. It's been a while since I ran it, but I don't remember seeing any text explaining that it's not recommended unless I completely overlooked it.

I think I only have a prompt if the INI files already are set to read-only by the user. I can't remember what the prompt says, but it probably assumes that the user had them set to read only for a reason. I don't think I have any written documentation suggesting that one way is better than the other. Many people feel more comfortable with them set to read only. I find it more of a hindrance.

Now that Fallout 76 is finally becoming what most would call a proper Fallout game, are you at all looking into adding it to BethINI? I truly can not play Bethesda games with it now, and so it would be fantastic to be able to tweak the game to a far more enjoyable state.

Many thanks for all of your excellent work with BethINI! :)

Fallout 76 is solely an online game. Internet in my rural area is not capable of supporting online gaming at the moment, so there is no real way for me to test it. Also, I am not sure how INI tweaking may not cause problems with the anti-cheat mechanisms of the game.