Consistent Older People (by Winterlove)

Kelmych

This mod has a mirage of options. While for Core the recommended "All NPCs" version is okay, as long as the STEP patch is used it should remain okay for Extended as well. If the STEP patch is not used, the All NPCs BOYD Compatible Loose Assets optional version should be used.

I would like to challenge this by changing the recommendation to the All NPCs Loose Assets optional to keep in line with STEP's recommendation of using loose files whenever possible. I would also like to recommend adding the No Elves optional file to the recommendation to keep the mod lore friendly.

They are among the longest living and intelligent races of Tamriel' date=' and they often become powerful magic users due to both their magical affinity and the many centuries they may devote to their studies. Source: https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Altmer[/quote']

It is common knowledge that elves, in any lore, have outstanding longevity and live to be very old while keeping their fare, young complexions. For this reason I recommend we include the No Elves optional.

Thoughts?

I haven't read that they maintain their youthful appearance indefinitely. There is also a great deal of conflict in the lore on life span of mer. I have read more than a hundred years, I have read as many as a thousand years. The more recent literature in the franchise points to the former.

I think it is best in this case to look at the historical precedence for how age is portrayed in the ES games. In the ES games, there are elderly mer. In Skyrim, the voice for the older mer is different from that of regular mer, and their appearance differs too. It seems to follow that the consistent older people mod could extend to both human and mer races.

Also, I think you have to consider the intent of the mod. The intent of the mod is to resolve conflicts between appearance and description of characters. A great example, the high elf that gives you the quest to retrieve the white phial in windhelm. He is described as near death, his history suggests he has lived a long time, and the voice actor used is the one used for other older characters. It makes sense that appearance should reflect that (provided that mer can age at all).

From a game point of view I actually prefer that some elves seem old. If they where all young etc, then there are some quirks.

Like its already mentioned then some elves have the voice of an older person... would be weird if they look young.

I have not studied the lore enough... but ES lore is about as holed as a cheese. The few books I do recall reading says the they do age. Although slowly, and not really in the same manner as humans.

Finally it could just be that the skin have suffered from years of magical exposure on a mage, or just spending too much time in the wilds etc. Elves are magical creatures even in ES, so perhaps their looks only reflect their conditions, like the sick one with the white vial.

I'd prefer elves to stay old too. They do get older, it takes much longer than humans, true. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be old elves in Skyrim, no? Why wouldn't there be? Are there only young elves in Skyrim? Where are the old ones then? In some kind of elves care home? :D

BTW, Orcs and falmer are elves too (mer). Does "no elves" file exclude old orcs too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't be unreasonable, I suppose, for the percentages of old and young looking elves to be similar to those for humans. The actual ages would, of course, be much greater than for humans. Makes sense to me to exclude "no elves".

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an update for the BYOD compatible edition. Should probably update the guide notes.

Hmmm, It appears that STEP 2.2.7 came out on September 28th, 2013, but the BOYD compatible edition came out later on 21 November 2013, and even though EssArrBee noticed it, but no one ever updated the guide notes.  Was this just an omission, or was there a reason behind it?

Should I install "Consistent Older People 18 All NPCs Loose Assets" like the guide says, or should I install the "Consistent Older People 18 All NPCs BOYD Compatible Loose Assets" version?

• 2 months later...