xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

@Sheson

Did you have a chance to look at the normals I uploaded for you? Did you find anything unusual with them?

I just tested. They work fine here. They are in unusual formats for FO4 normals which are usually 2 channel BC5 so not sure what the reason is for that.

Because of that some require the use of TexConv.exe to load, which means a temp version is created first, then converted externally by texconv and then read. That is where UAC, antivirus, disk full error could interfere. 

You tried them as loose file to rule out BSA reading errors right?

No idea why removing them would cause other textures to have problems. Since you seem to be using xLODGenx64 it shouldn't be running out of memory either. But maybe see if only selecting build normal and smaller sizes like 128 make a difference.

Edited by sheson

But maybe see if only selecting build normal and smaller sizes like 128 make a difference.

I already tried with size 32 for diffuse and normals for all levels and mesh quality 30 to speed up the process and get to the warnings faster and the result was the same.

You tried them as loose file to rule out BSA reading errors right?

Yes, I extracted the 5 files and that is when suddenly other warnings cropped up. I'll try with just loose files to see if that gets a different result and report back to you.

Alright, so I have some interesting observations to make. First of all, there were no errors when I ran xLODGen using loose files, so the files themselves seem to be okay (as you had confirmed on your end as well).

Secondly and more interestingly, when I extracted the four BA2 archives with B.A.E. (latest Fo4 version) I got this error message while extracting Vivid Fallout:

eMJ4CT1.png

As you can see it is mostly normal maps that are causing issues, including two of the ones that I sent you (marshmuddygrass01_n and marshmudfloor01_n). I re-downloaded the mod (4k version) and got the same errors with the freshly downloaded one as well. Interestingly enough, the official archive2.exe from the Fo4 CK has no problems extracting the archives and no files are missing unlike with B.A.E. I also manually created an archive from the extracted files (the ones extracted with archive2 of course, since the one from B.A.E. were missing files) with archive2.exe (DDS format, default compression, rest on default) and B.A.E. had the same errors with this archive.

So I assume that there is some issue with how these archives are being read by xLODGen the same way that B.A.E. has issues?

Alright, so I have some interesting observations to make. First of all, there were no errors when I ran xLODGen using loose files, so the files themselves seem to be okay (as you had confirmed on your end as well).

Secondly and more interestingly, when I extracted the four BA2 archives with B.A.E. (latest Fo4 version) I got this error message while extracting Vivid Fallout:

eMJ4CT1.png

As you can see it is mostly normal maps that are causing issues, including two of the ones that I sent you (marshmuddygrass01_n and marshmudfloor01_n). I re-downloaded the mod (4k version) and got the same errors with the freshly downloaded one as well. Interestingly enough, the official archive2.exe from the Fo4 CK has no problems extracting the archives and no files are missing unlike with B.A.E. I also manually created an archive from the extracted files (the ones extracted with archive2 of course, since the one from B.A.E. were missing files) with archive2.exe (DDS format, default compression, rest on default) and B.A.E. had the same errors with this archive.

So I assume that there is some issue with how these archives are being read by xLODGen the same way that B.A.E. has issues?

Can BAE unpack the vanilla archives without problems?

Can you test extraction with xEdit 4.0.1? It will load the BA2 via the normal plugin name. Then start Asset Browser with CTRL+F3 and enter part of those file names in the filter, then right click one of the found files to extract.

Can BAE unpack the vanilla archives without problems?

Yes, it has no problems with vanilla archives and most mod archives either, tho I had issues with it with Fallout 4 archives before, but it was an older version which just crashed instead of giving an error message.

Can you test extraction with xEdit 4.0.1? It will load the BA2 via the normal plugin name. Then start Asset Browser with CTRL+F3 and enter part of those file names in the filter, then right click one of the found files to extract.

xEdit is able to extract the files, however!, it makes them unreadable in the process. I extracted marshmuddygrass01_n from Vivid Fallout once with xEdit and once with archive2.exe and while I can open and view the version I extracted with archive2, the file from xEdit cannot be opened by the same program, in my case it was paint.net with up to date dds plugin. I tested with other files that caused errors in B.A.E. and the same thing happened there as well. So it seems xEdit and by extension xLODGen has a problem extracting these files or reading the archive correctly, right?

Edited by El_Rizzo

Yes, it has no problems with vanilla archives and most mod archives either, tho I had issues with it with Fallout 4 archives before, but it was an older version which just crashed instead of giving an error message.

xEdit is able to extract the files, however!, it makes them unreadable in the process. I extracted marshmuddygrass01_n from Vivid Fallout once with xEdit and once with archive2.exe and while I can open and view the version I extracted with archive2, the file from xEdit cannot be opened by the same program, in my case it was paint.net with up to date dds plugin. I tested with other files that caused errors in B.A.E. and the same thing happened there as well. So it seems xEdit and by extension xLODGen has a problem extracting these files or reading the archive correctly, right?

Yes, I will check with the other xEdit devs about this. There already was talked about updating the BSA functions anyways.

To be clear, xEdit and xLODGen are just different modes of the same application. The xLODGen Terrain LOD beta just has changes in the LOD and Image lib parts for testing before they finally merge back into the official version.

Yes, I will check with the other xEdit devs about this. There already was talked about updating the BSA functions anyways.

Okay, good to know, hope you guys have success in finding the issue :)

To be clear, xEdit and xLODGen are just different modes of the same application. The xLODGen Terrain LOD beta just has changes in the LOD and Image lib parts for testing before they finally merge back into the official version.

I'm aware of that, when I wrote 'by extension' I was implying that, but it might have come across differently ^^.

You can see path/filename of the options file it tries to load from the log by looking for "No options file found: ..."

The format is ..\Edit Scripts\[Game Mode]LODGen_[Pluginname that adds the worldspace]_[worldspace name]_Options.txt

So for Falskaar it is "..\Edit Scripts\TES5LODGen_Falskaar_Falskaar_Options.txt"

In this case add the lines to the file

IsHDTextureMask=mountainslablod.dds
IsHDTextureMask=mountainslablod2.dds
IsHDTextureMask=mountainslablod3.dds

unfortunately it does not always work. I'm sorry you didn't correct the behavior LODGen as in version 3.1.2.Using these crutches is stupid.

unfortunately it does not always work. I'm sorry you didn't correct the behavior LODGen as in version 3.1.2.Using these crutches is stupid.

xLODGen is a CK LOD generator replacement, so it adheres to those rules and constraints for all the different games to ensure compatibility and performance as best as possible. LODGen version 0.9 from many years ago is buggy in many different aspects and many of those bugs have been fixed in the meantime.

The "crutches" are optional settings to allow non standard features for specific needs. If the optional settings to allow out of specification features or anything else does not work as expected or needs adjusting, I suggest to provide a proper problem description like before so we can fix any issues or add new features as required. We do this in a calm and mature approach to continuously improve the tools without breaking (vanilla) behavior for anybody else.

Edited by sheson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will Enderal: Forgotten Stories be supported? 

xLODGen terrain LOD beta 0.39 supports Enderal

It should now also properly support many texture formats in custom BA2 for Fallout4 without issue.

Next version of DynDOLOD will also support the new Enderal installation location. Everything else seems to be the same as the "original" Enderal. Unfortunately that includes the messed up INIs.