xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

I see.

Yeah I have noticed the discussion going on that thread you quoted me but I didn't think that it was relevant.

Are the MO2 guys aware of this bug or should I post on their discord?

Thanks sheson!

I have not seen anything or posted anything, because I haven't had this error happen myself. And I pretty much got all the alpha, betas and RC of the new MO in the past months too.

However, based on the information from your post, it seems there might be an issue with the executed program (xLODGen.exe) starting a child process (LODGen.exe/TexConv.exe) and piping back its console output.

It seems that return pipe is somehow redirected by the virtual file system into a file that is/was open for reading.

It happened again with the newest MO2 alpha build (2.2.1 Alpha 2).

I guess I will make the MO guys aware by linking them our discussion sheson.

Can you test with version 43? It uses a a different library to run the external commands. It is also compiled with latest Delphi version and has some additional multithreading optimizations. Maybe it makes a difference.

Edited by sheson

Hi sheson,

It seems that the version you uploaded above works just fine!

Tested it with MO2 version 2.2.1 Alpha Build 2.

Thanks a lot man!  ::):

That's promising. A few more complete runs to double check ... :)

So correct me if my understanding of xLODGen is wrong here, but when I run xLODGen to generate object LOD, it should generate object LOD based on my currently active, personal load order, correct? I'm asking because I can't seem to get xLODGen to generate the correct LOD atlas for my current Fallout 4 load order. The specific mod I'm having issues with is Boston Natural Surroundings (BNS) and NeuralLOD. Since I'm using BNS I can't use the pre-built LOD files that NeuralLOD comes with, but have to generate my own using the resource file it alternatively provides for such cases. However, when I run xLODGen to generate new object LOD with both mods active (as well as the rest of my load order, of course), then the resulting atlas doesn't contain the green tree lod from BNS but instead the vanilla tree LOD.

This is what the atlas looks like that comes with BNS:

73yFDi7.jpg

and this is the one that xLODGen creates based on my currently active mods:

w9RkmPW.jpg

I've also noticed that the generated LOD .bto meshes don't contain the trees that BNS adds to the game, unlike the files that come with BNS. I've tried with BNS's own LOD files present it its archives and I also ran xLODGen after manually deleting all the LOD files that came with BNS and the result was the same in both cases. I've used xLODGen 43 and the latest dev build of MO2, but other versions of both tools get the same result.

So my question is basically, is this working as intended and xLODGen simply doesn't consider mod added/changed objects during object LOD generation or is something going wrong on my end?

xLODGen is working perfectly fine and was used to generate the LOD included in the mod.

In order for users to generate LOD for new assets added by mods, the plugin needs to define the LOD models on the new base records and also include new LOD models and textures.

Those LOD resources seem to be optional downloads that need to be downloaded and installed separately.

Edited by sheson

In order for users to generate LOD for new assets added by mods, the plugin needs to define the LOD models on the new base records and also include new LOD models and textures.

Ah okay, I figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure since I'm not an expert on these matters (by a long shot :teehee: ) and wanted to be sure, thanks for the explanation! ::):

Those LOD resources seem to be optional downloads that need to be downloaded and installed separately.

The ones from BNS? Gotcha, gonna take a look at them, thanks once again! ::D:

Ah okay, I figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure since I'm not an expert on these matters (by a long shot :teehee: ) and wanted to be sure, thanks for the explanation! ::):

The ones from BNS? Gotcha, gonna take a look at them, thanks once again! ::D:

Both of them seem to have optional LOD Resources available.

Both of them seem to have optional LOD Resources available.

Yeah, well I'm already using the ones from NeuralLOD since I can't use the prebuilt ones, hence why I was trying to rebuild my LOD and came upon the issue with BNS :)

Hey sheson,

I just wanted to stop by to say Thank You for all the support and updates you provide constantly. 

On another note, has there yet been any progress with grass lod meshes? I remember discussing this a while back, and you said that you were experimenting but no ETA of course. 

Kind regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to report that something seems to be wonky in 0.43. I created Terrain LOD with 0.43 the other day and when I did a short check I noticed that almost all diffuse texture files look like this:

dlc03farharbor.4.-1.1.dds

Bu8Xmnn.jpg

or at best like this:

dlc03farharbor.4.-1.17.dds

OnTePoA.jpg

Whereas the same exact files look like this in 0.42:

dlc03farharbor.4.-1.1.dds

kv5O0aN.jpg

and

dlc03farharbor.4.-1.17.dds

J0TXI0r.jpg

There were no error messages during generation and the log didn't contain any errors either. These results can be reliably reproduced and the only change was the version of xLODGen being used, I didn't change/update any mods or changed my version of Mod Organizer 2 and I didn't change any settings within xLODGen as well.

Edited by El_Rizzo