768 replies to this topic

#766 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

Bethesda is not really in the habit of fixing bugs and I doubt they will address that one either.

Not sure way I have to copy and paste from the manual again and again:

With TexGen.exe most but not all object LOD source textures can be generated from the full textures in the current load order.

It is obvious that terrain LOD texture generation does not matter to TexGen or object LOD texture generation or vice versa.

Is BC7 quick or max not a suitable option for normals in SE win 7/win 10 ?  Since that is what I am using for diffuse.  But in your recommendation you only mention 565 (windows 10) or DXT5 (windows 7)

#767 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

Is BC7 quick or max not a suitable option for normals in SE win 7/win 10 ?  Since that is what I am using for diffuse.  But in your recommendation you only mention 565 (windows 10) or DXT5 (windows 7)

Read my my suggestions for first time tests more carefully:

Use DXT1 for diffuse and 565 (DXT5 if on Windows 7) for normal maps. If generating for Skyrim Special Edition use BC7.

This has also been discussed https://forum.step-p...697#entry233697

As I keep suggesting: Test yourself what works best for the game, load order and hardware you are using.

#768 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:24 PM

Read my my suggestions for first time tests more carefully:

Use DXT1 for diffuse and 565 (DXT5 if on Windows 7) for normal maps. If generating for Skyrim Special Edition use BC7.

This has also been discussed https://forum.step-p...697#entry233697

As I keep suggesting: Test yourself what works best for the game, load order and hardware you are using.

Sorry I do understand now, I will run then both bc7.

I was reading about your brightness settings (recommended 0) if too dark you suggest to brighten the noise.dds itself rather then adjusting brightness settings + to compensate...

Cathedral Landscapes recommends +8 to brightness when generating terrain lods... from my understanding this would be because their included noise.dds is too dark?

#769 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

Sorry I do understand now, I will run then both bc7.

I was reading about your brightness settings (recommended 0) if too dark you suggest to brighten the noise.dds itself rather then adjusting brightness settings + to compensate...

Cathedral Landscapes recommends +8 to brightness when generating terrain lods... from my understanding this would be because their included noise.dds is too dark?

If you have questions about third party mods or instructions you need to ask their author.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users