xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 110 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

This might be caused by textures that are used directly instead of being on the object LOD atlas. Make sure all textures are put on the atlas, or in case something they are used directly that they are correct/support format. It is also possible this is caused by using full models for object LOD and the conversion lets something through that is not supported in LOD.

Instead of just deleting all meshes and textures, delete in a binary search until only the problematic file(s) are left. 

First remove tree (*btt and *.lst) and terrain (*.btr) LOD meshes so that only object (*.bto) LOD meshes are left. If the problem goes away then remove the object LOD and either only put pack tree or terrain LOD meshes until you now which of the 3 LOD types it is.

Then move a half of the meshes files to a backup folder. If the problem goes away restore those files and remove the other half. Repeat until only one or a handful files are left.

Then check those files in NifSkope for obvious problems / used textures.

Upload file to a fileservice so I can review if help is needed.

I have done it like you said. The problem is in terrain meshes. However I couldn't find the proper faulty mesh. Cause when testing in game with few meshes, the problem doesn't occur. It only appears when testing the mesh with all meshes. However, there seems to be another strange thing. Only some specific files (9/10 files) seem to cover the whole map. I removed them and tried with remaining other meshes, the terrain map doesn't appear in game. While the whole map appears with only those few files even if they are alone.

Hey I have run into another problem. Now its showing the "LODGen Process Error, Exit Code 00000193"

Here's the entire log,

https://pastebin.com/k92Ew5ci

Okay, the problem somehow got fixed. I uninstalled and re-installed (manually) x-lodgen couple of times and the problem seems to be gone. 

Edited by HighRiderFreak

Hey I have run into another problem. Now its showing the "LODGen Process Error, Exit Code 00000193"

Here's the entire log,

https://pastebin.com/k92Ew5ci

The log you posted shows the error in plain English:

Can not write to F:\Mods\Skyrim\XLOD Gen\xLODGen.42\xLODGen\LODGen_log.txt

Something was blocking files access, OS, antivir or another process

I have done it like you said. The problem is in terrain meshes. However I couldn't find the proper faulty mesh. Cause when testing in game with few meshes, the problem doesn't occur. It only appears when testing the mesh with all meshes. However, there seems to be another strange thing. Only some specific files (9/10 files) seem to cover the whole map. I removed them and tried with remaining other meshes, the terrain map doesn't appear in game. While the whole map appears with only those few files even if they are alone.

Okay, the problem somehow got fixed. I uninstalled and re-installed (manually) x-lodgen couple of times and the problem seems to be gone.

As explained, always keep the problematic files. Only remove the ones that do not cause the error.

1) Move half the files to a backup folder.

2) If problem goes away, remove renaming files not causing the problem. Restore half the files from backup folder.

3) repeat from 2

And/Or install .NetFramework and check the crash log

Edited by sheson

This might be caused by textures that are used directly instead of being on the object LOD atlas. Make sure all textures are put on the atlas, or in case something they are used directly that they are correct/support format. It is also possible this is caused by using full models for object LOD and the conversion lets something through that is not supported in LOD.

Instead of just deleting all meshes and textures, delete in a binary search until only the problematic file(s) are left. 

First remove tree (*btt and *.lst) and terrain (*.btr) LOD meshes so that only object (*.bto) LOD meshes are left. If the problem goes away then remove the object LOD and either only put pack tree or terrain LOD meshes until you now which of the 3 LOD types it is.

Then move a half of the meshes files to a backup folder. If the problem goes away restore those files and remove the other half. Repeat until only one or a handful files are left.

Then check those files in NifSkope for obvious problems / used textures.

Upload file to a fileservice so I can review if help is needed.

The log you posted shows the error in plain English:

Can not write to F:\Mods\Skyrim\XLOD Gen\xLODGen.42\xLODGen\LODGen_log.txt

Something was blocking files access, OS, antivir or another process

As explained, always keep the problematic files. Only remove the ones that do not cause the error.

1) Move half the files to a backup folder.

2) If problem goes away, remove renaming files not causing the problem. Restore half the files from backup folder.

3) repeat from 2

And/Or install .NetFramework and check the crash log

Like you said, I have found a problematic file. But I can't find any error here. Would you mind taking a look?

here's the link,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqfqy6jx0jc533i/blackwind.32.0.-32.btr?dl=0

Like you said, I have found a problematic file. But I can't find any error here. Would you mind taking a look?

here's the link,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqfqy6jx0jc533i/blackwind.32.0.-32.btr?dl=0

The error is most likely with the textures used by it.

textures\terrain\blackwind\blackwind.32.0.-32.dds

textures\terrain\blackwind\blackwind.32.0.-32_n.dds

Check if they are valid, have support compression etc. 

Edited by sheson

The error is most likely with the textures used by it.

textures\terrain\blackwind\blackwind.32.0.-32.dds

textures\terrain\blackwind\blackwind.32.0.-32_n.dds

Check if they are valid, have support compression etc. 

The problem seems to be gone. I tried with generating lod with one last time, it perfectly got generated and there's no CTD. However, this time I reduced the settings to 512 from 1024. Anyway, many thanks for the help.

Btw, I had a question. Is it possible to generate terrain lod through x-lod gen of a heightmap larger than 2048x2048 (i,e 4096x4096) with the same lod as tamriel.lod?

Edited by HighRiderFreak

Btw, I had a question. Is it possible to generate terrain lod through x-lod gen of a heightmap larger than 2048x2048 (i,e 4096x4096) with the same lod as tamriel.lod?

I am not sure I understand the question.

The terrain LOD meshes are generated from the VHGT heightdata found on the LAND records. Each cell has 32x32 data points.

xLODGen generates LOD for all CELL records it finds. If a CELL has no LAND record the default terrain/water heights are used.

The log prints how many CELL and LAND records were found at their min SW and max NE coordinates.

I am not sure I understand the question.

The terrain LOD meshes are generated from the VHGT heightdata found on the LAND records. Each cell has 32x32 data points.

xLODGen generates LOD for all CELL records it finds. If a CELL has no LAND record the default terrain/water heights are used.

The log prints how many CELL and LAND records were found at their min SW and max NE coordinates.

Okay I got it  ::): . Its just that, before discovering x-lod gen, when I used to generate lod with oscape, it crashed if the worldspace was bigger than 2048x2048. 

Okay I got it  ::): . Its just that, before discovering x-lod gen, when I used to generate lod with oscape, it crashed if the worldspace was bigger than 2048x2048. 

There should be no such artificial limits with the x64 version and enough main memory available.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question.  I think I went one tweak too many..............  What is the default "brightness" setting?  Thanks.

0 of course.

Typically those should be left alone. They will only make terrain LOD textures not match the full textures. Adjust the noise.dds instead.

Edited by sheson

• 4 weeks later...

xLODGen is not generating terrain LOD for the mod.

Here is the terrain painted as white (snow01) in the CK:

PWvFVwT.jpg

Here is the same terrain in the game:

eZpqnvh.jpg

Its just not loading.

LOD was generated with SSELODGenx64.exe.

Edited by Wolfstorm321

xLODGen is not generating terrain LOD for the mod.

Here is the terrain painted as white (snow01) in the CK:

Here is the same terrain in the game:

Its just not loading.

LOD was generated with SSELODGenx64.exe.

The log prints what is generated or if there are errors while LOD is generated.

There is clearly something loaded in the second screenshot!? You may want to adjust the noise.dds texture.

Edited by sheson

It seems xLOD wasn't overwriting the old files, for some unknown reason.

To know the reason check the log, which prints what is generated or not.

Also read the included Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt, which explains:

If terrain LOD textures already exist in the output folder, their generation will be skipped. This can be used to continue generating terrain LOD textures for large worldspaces in case there was a problem like not enough space left on a drive. Simply restart with the same options. Otherwise move or selectively delete old terrain LOD textures before generating new ones.

Always use -o command line argument to generate into a dedicated output folder instead of game's data folder. Then install output as a mod.

Edited by sheson