xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

You wouldn't happen to know if the argument supports a relative path?

The base folder is the data folder. If the path starts with ./output then the output path it will games data/output. Use ../ to move up one folder as usual.

Do not generate into folders that are under control of a mod manager, including the games data folder.

Edited by sheson

The base folder is the data folder. If the path starts with ./output then the output path it will games data/output. Use ../ to move up one folder as usual.

Do not generate into folders that are under control of a mod manager, including the games data folder.

Thanks. I was hoping it would be the 'Start in' directory because that would have simplified resolving a small issue in the STEP guide.

And just out of curiosity, can you actually use Unix-style directory separators?

Thanks. I was hoping it would be the 'Start in' directory because that would have simplified resolving a small issue in the STEP guide.

And just out of curiosity, can you actually use Unix-style directory separators?

Set a dedicated output folder outside of game and mod manager folders. Then install output as a mod with the mod manager.

xEdit is a Windows application, so it uses and typically expects \ as separator. / might work on occasion but it is not guranteed.

Edited by sheson

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is the millionth time you've been asked this but..any advice for a new guy with no clue?  It didn't go so well.  I thought I followed the directions for skyrim se with quality at 5-10-15-20 for the lod zones and the boxes ticked according to the instructions for first timers at the beginning of the thread.  It basically turned skyrim into an empty scorched wasteland :teehee:

https://postimg.cc/JD1hy9cQ

Edited by Poncington

Sorry if this is the millionth time you've been asked this but..any advice for a new guy with no clue?  It didn't go so well.  I thought I followed the directions for skyrim se with quality at 5-10-15-20 for the lod zones and the boxes ticked according to the instructions for first timers at the beginning of the thread.  It basically turned skyrim into an empty scorched wasteland :teehee:

https://postimg.cc/JD1hy9cQ

Use DynDOLOD for drasticalyl advanced object and tree LOD generation to fill the emptiness.

If the terrain LOD textures seem to dark, adjust the noise.dds texture as explained in the first post.

Use DynDOLOD for drasticalyl advanced object and tree LOD generation to fill the emptiness.

If the terrain LOD textures seem to dark, adjust the noise.dds texture as explained in the first post.

Thanks for the quick response.  I installed the vanilla noise file as a mod and left it as is since I'm not sure how to modify it.  The color actually looks pretty close to me.  I would really like the closest lods to be sharper though.  The furthest ones aren't super important to me I just can't stand seeing smeared graphics so close.  If I could increase full quality draw distance I would but no setting seems to work.  Would a lod4 quality of 1 be doable and if so would it do what I want?  In the mean time here's some pics after adding the noise.dds file.  I tried to get lots of pics to show the gradual change.  The pics are numbered in order.  Not sure why they uploaded in random sequence.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/byB0k7d

Edited by Poncington

Thanks for the quick response.  I installed the vanilla noise file as a mod and left it as is since I'm not sure how to modify it.  The color actually looks pretty close to me.  I would really like the closest lods to be sharper though.  The furthest ones aren't super important to me I just can't stand seeing smeared graphics so close.  If I could increase full quality draw distance I would but no setting seems to work.  Would a lod4 quality of 1 be doable and if so would it do what I want?  In the mean time here's some pics after adding the noise.dds file.  I tried to get lots of pics to show the gradual change.  The pics are numbered in order.  Not sure why they uploaded in random sequence.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/byB0k7d

Your LOD level 4 quality maybe so high that the tiled pattern of texture becomes more visible than usual. What resolution did you use for diffuse and normal textures? Are you also baking normal maps?

Your LOD level 4 quality maybe so high that the tiled pattern of texture becomes more visible than usual. What resolution did you use for diffuse and normal textures? Are you also baking normal maps?

I believe i did quality of 5 and 1024 for level 4 and 512 for the rest.  i did not bake as per instructions in the first post.  i'm doing a new one right now with quality 1 and 2048 on lod4 and 512 with quality 10/15/20 for the rest.  will post results.

Edited by Poncington

I ran dyndolod and 3d tree lods with mathys 3d trees.  its better but the lack of grass and plants in the distance ruins it.  anybody know how to make billboards out of grass and plants? even 2d shrubs would be a big improvement from far away.

https://postimg.cc/xczHt86c

Grass has no LOD. If you want to simulate grass you can temporarily use manually edited landscape textures for terrain LOD generation, like the mods Terrain LOD Redone or Cathedral Landscapes did.

Watch

Edited by sheson

Grass has no LOD. If you want to simulate grass you can temporarily use manually edited landscape textures for terrain LOD generation, like the mods Terrain LOD Redone or Cathedral Landscapes did.

Watch

Thank you for your help.  Last thing (I think).  How would you use dyndolod and xlodgen together in skyrim se for optimal effect?  I don't completely understand how they overlap if at all.  I thought just doing terrain with xlodgen and everything else with dyndolod would make the world complete but it seems like dyndolod alone creates a more full looking world.  When I generate 3d tree lods with mathys 3d trees in xlodgen it mentions objects which I would think dyndolod handles so I don't know if i should do world objects with one or both.  What's the right mix and what's the correct order to to run everything? 

Here's my last one.  Did quality 5/10/15/20 with 1024 lod 4 and 512 for the rest.  I did texgen and xlodgen terrain only, but separately without anything active except my regular load order.  then i activated dyndo texture output, xlodgen texture output, noise, and ran dyndolod.  I need to explore more but looks pretty good so far.

https://postimg.cc/1nJXLs6V

Edited by Poncington