xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Hi there, I noticed when generating terrain in fallout new vegas, the terrain texture for the " none " landscape texture is set to the wrong file which causes white terrain where that texture is used. This has been a problem for working on my arizona project expanding the main map eastwards, we thought using this tool could make generating terrain for the new lands simple but this bug will affect the visual experience people have in the mod. 

There is also a bug with the water as you can see where sometimes water will appear cut off or generally have problems.

The terrain was generated with the default settings you've set for fallout new vegas in mind.

Can you check the terrain meshes / textures for the region. The terrain mesh [worldspace].level[4|8|16|32].x[x].y[y].nif for the area will most likely use the correct the correct terrain texture [worldspace].n.level[4|8|16|32].x[x].y[y].dds, but rather that the texture might contain the white / default texture area.

Check/upload the logfile from xLODGen if it had messages about missing landscape textures or other errors.

What game (vanilla/dlc/mods), worldspace, coordinates are the screenshots showing?

Make sure to use latest version from first post.

Edited by sheson

I don't know much about what you guys do but all I can say is i don't think terrain lod generation ( which obsidian would of had to do ) is supposed to go from what game looks like before generation.

unknown.png

to this 

unknown.png

Okay?

In terms of coordinates it  happens anywhere where the texture paint called " None " is used. Outside of the playable space that obsidian hasn't detailed. I can't give exact coordinates as it happens in a lot of places on the map, I guess 36, 4 maybe if i remember is one outside of the map where you can see this ( sorry if thats wrong )

Log file wasn't pointing to anything :/

Game has mods but none that affect terrain apart from my WIP project which has terrain paint/height edits currently to where the bug is not present.... 

Version i'm using is the link on the first page. 

Edited by TheGreatBhan

I don't know much about what you guys do but all I can say is i don't think terrain lod generation ( which obsidian would of had to do ) is supposed to go from what game looks like before generation.

unknown.png

to this 

unknown.png

Okay?

In terms of coordinates it  happens anywhere where the texture paint called " None " is used. Outside of the playable space that obsidian hasn't detailed. I can't give exact coordinates as it happens in a lot of places on the map, I guess 36, 4 maybe if i remember is one outside of the map where you can see this ( sorry if thats wrong )

Log file wasn't pointing to anything :/

Game has mods but none that affect terrain apart from my WIP project which has terrain paint/height edits currently to where the bug is not present.... 

Version i'm using is the link on the first page. 

So this is Fall Out New Vegas, so this is in WastelandNV around 36,4. I will have a look and see what I get.

I noticed it seemed even more off after that though like in x29 you could get these water gaps appearing, this wouldn't happen in vanilla. If you do a quick comparison ingame vanilla, rotate camera around on a beach with water and you'll notice it's mostly fine, but then run the tool and try it and you'll get results like this from time to time.

(although i've yet to test on x34 since the whie terrain bug was fixed, perhaps water looks better with correct texture pointed instead of white underwater )

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by TheGreatBhan

I noticed it seemed even more off after that though like in x29 you could get these water gaps appearing, this wouldn't happen in vanilla. If you do a quick comparison ingame vanilla, rotate camera around on a beach with water and you'll notice it's mostly fine, but then run the tool and try it and you'll get results like this from time to time.

(although i've yet to test on x34 since the whie terrain bug was fixed, perhaps water looks better with correct texture pointed instead of white underwater )

59721-1544312963-1156786772.jpeg

59721-1544312980-562531626.jpeg

It is certainly not mostly fine with vanilla LOD. It just looks different because of the "skirts" and the way xLODGen optimizes LOD water down to 2 triangles per cell.

Your screenshots (and mine) look like tcl is used. Check how things are with clipping enabled. Also the LOD distance settings in the INI might influence this.

If anyone can point out what to change in vanilla LOD meshes to counter this, the same changes can be done in xLODGen. I already tried bigger MultiBound values but I did not notice any changes. I might give that another try.

Edited by sheson

Well I've fixed all my problems except there's just a tad issue, what does it mean when dirt textures start appearing the sky after doing this lodgen? it happens occassionally  but once it happens it never goes away

Sounds like an issue. Maybe a plugin overwriting data in the LAND record confusing things. Check the generated terrain  nif for the area if you can spot elevated terrain. Then check which plugins define / overwrite the CELL and LAND record where it happens so I might be able to test myself.

Any specific nif of where to find this? there's several NIFs in the LOD folder for blocks and such. I seem to be getting it around fort and my newly made areas in my project where there is edits to the vanilla terrain. But no terrain edits since doing the generation process for now anyway so i don't know why happening.

Any specific nif of where to find this? there's several NIFs in the LOD folder for blocks and such. I seem to be getting it around fort and my newly made areas in my project where there is edits to the vanilla terrain. But no terrain edits since doing the generation process for now anyway so i don't know why happening.

Since this happens in a world in your game, you need to check the current x, y position right next to the problem. Divide player position by 4096 and round down to get the cell coordinates. Then find the level 4 quad [worldspace].level4.x[x].y[y].nif that contains that cell. Level 4 quads cover 4x4 cells. The cell coords of a quad NIF is the lower/left, so a cell with x = 6 and y = 2 is in file x4, y0 -> [worldspace].level4.x4.y0.nif.

Open the nif in nifskope and check if you can see the anomaly. If the anomaly can not be found, it has another reason.

Lookup the cell cords in xEdit with the Cell Browser CTRL + SHIFT + F. Check which plugins modify the CELL and the LAND record. 

Edited by sheson

Guys not sure where to ask this.

When I try to run XLODgen64 I get this message:

SSELODGen 3.3.8 BETA x64 (9150D5C3) starting session 2018-12-12 12:25:42
Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: E:\Installed Games\Skyrim\The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim - Special Edition\Data\
Using Cache Path: E:\Installed Games\Skyrim\The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim - Special Edition\Data\SSEEdit Cache\
Using ini: C:\Users\16469\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini
Fatal: Could not find ini

None of these paths are correct my Ini is at E:\Installed Games\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition\Data

Any idea why it's creating that new folder? How can I change where the program is directing XLODgen64.