xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 110 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Hi sheson!

I'm having an issue where the program refuses to generate LOD textures, it only generates meshes and then just skips all textures entirely. What could be the cause for this?

I have reinstalled it multiple times and I have the latest version.

I am running the program through the latest version of MO2 with no launch parameters (the program is located on the same drive as the game and MO2 and the exe is named correctly, SSELODGen).

The problem started sometime after I migrated my games to an SSD (I have reinstalled and redone my modlist about twice since then though) including SSE.

Here's the log (the interesting part, will provide full log if needed):

I am almost 99% sure this is something on my end, I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is since the program used to work just fine on my PC before.

The reason is given in then message:

... Skipping ... because file already exists ...

From the Readme:

If terrain LOD textures already exist in the output folder, their generation will be skipped. This can be used to continue generating terrain LOD textures for large worldspaces in case there was a problem like not enough space left on a drive. Simply restart with the same options. Otherwise move or selectively delete old terrain LOD textures before generating new ones.

Take note of the skipping messages. If the diffuse or normal texture for a higher LOD level already exists, then all lower LOD levels that are covered by the higher LOD level are skipped as well. So in order to re-generate a LOD level 4 texture, it is not enough to just delete the LOD level 4 files for the diffuse and normal texture, the higher LOD level diffuse and normal textures files need to be deleted as well.

Generating Meshes always overwrite old files.

I suggest to use the -o command line parameter to set a dedicated output folder so to not overwrite existing LOD meshe/texture files already existing in the output folder or being linked, or in mapped mod folders.

Hi!

Do I need to regenerate terrain LOD meshes and textures with xLodGen after tweaking my INI settings? I mean those: fBlockLevel1Distance, fBlockLevel0Distance, fSplitDistanceMult.

I changed them like this:

- fBlockLevel1Distance 90000 >>> 70000

- fBlockLevel0Distance 60000 >>> 35000

- fSplitDistanceMult 1.5 >>> 2.0

Also, do I need to re-run xLodGen after installing other mods? I don't mean graphical (textures and meshes) mods, but things like esp, esl and esm (USSEP) plugins etc.

Thanks for help in advance

Edited by Mirelurk123

Hi!

Do I need to regenerate terrain LOD meshes and textures with xLodGen after tweaking my INI settings? I mean those: fBlockLevel1Distance, fBlockLevel0Distance, fSplitDistanceMult.

I changed them like this:

- fBlockLevel1Distance 90000 >>> 70000

- fBlockLevel0Distance 60000 >>> 35000

- fSplitDistanceMult 1.5 >>> 2.0

No, of course not. These settings control at which distance the generated files for the LOD levels are loaded.

Also, do I need to re-run xLodGen after installing other mods? I don't mean graphical (textures and meshes) mods, but things like esp, esl and esm (USSEP) plugins etc.

Thanks for help in advance

There never is a technical requirement to generate LOD for the load order. Terrain, Object and Tree LOD is just pre-computed files that are loaded. The only requirement is visually.

Plugins can change terrain, object and trees, placement or looks. If LOD might be changed by a plugin depends entirely on what the plugins changes and can not be genreally answered.

Edited by sheson

So actually no need to generate new lod if "bake normals" wasnt ticked beforehand?

Yes, no need.. However, there never is a need to generate LOD because of a new version. Only generate it there was a change in the load order that affects terrain LOD or a visible problem that needs to be fixed.

Hello, I am running into an odd issue in which SSELODGen appears to refuse to run due to "illegal characters in path," but as far as I can tell, this is not the case.

To quickly summarize:

I am running xLODGen beta 36 with xEdit 4.01 through MO2 v2.1.6.  I have SSEEdit.exe located at:

‪C:\Games\ModdingTools\xEdit\SSEEdit\SSEEdit.exe

and I have xLODGen.exe located at

C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\xLODGen.exe

Within MO2, I have the Binary set to the aforementioned xLODGen.exe, with the argument:

-sse -o:"D:\SSExLODGenOutput\"

I am using the Tucoguide as a reference (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694) and for instructions on installation. When I run xLODGen through MO2, I select all of the BGS worlds (base game+DLC) and Falskaar. I use the setting suggested by the aforementioned Tucoguide.

A few seconds after selecting "Generate" I am greeted with an error popup that reads:

"LODGen process error, exit code E0434352."

The log from the note that the background loader has finished until this error can be seen below:

[00:09] Background Loader: finished
[Tamriel] Generating LOD
[Tamriel] Gathering CELL and LAND records.
[Tamriel] Land height: -27000, Water height: -14000, Scanned: 16385 CELL records, Found: 16384 LAND records for area [-64,-64] to [63,63]
[Tamriel] LODsettings: Level 4 to 32 stride 256 from -96,-96 to 0,0
[Tamriel] Exporting terrain mesh data for LODGen to C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
[Tamriel] No options file found: C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\SSELODGen_Skyrim_Tamriel_Options.txt
[Tamriel] Saving LODGen data: C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.txt
[Tamriel] Running "C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen.exe" "C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.txt"
============================================================
Skyrim Object LOD Generator 2.5.2.0
Created by Ehamloptiran and Zilav
Updated by Sheson

Log started at 4:57:54 PM

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.QuickDemand(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String fullPath, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
   at LODGenerator.Common.Utils.GetFullPathWithEndingSlashes(String input)
   at LODGeneratorCMD.Program.Main(String[] args)
LOD Generator: finished (you can close this application now)

I can provide the full log at request.
I am not sure what error I am running into here. There are no spaces nor any illegal characters that I can find in any of the file paths. I am not sure what exit code E0434352 indicates, nor do I know how to go about finding out. I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might be able to provide. 

Hello, I am running into an odd issue in which SSELODGen appears to refuse to run due to "illegal characters in path," but as far as I can tell, this is not the case.

To quickly summarize:

I am running xLODGen beta 36 with xEdit 4.01 through MO2 v2.1.6.  I have SSEEdit.exe located at:

‪C:\Games\ModdingTools\xEdit\SSEEdit\SSEEdit.exe

and I have xLODGen.exe located at

C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\xLODGen.exe

Within MO2, I have the Binary set to the aforementioned xLODGen.exe, with the argument:

-sse -o:"D:\SSExLODGenOutput\"

I am using the Tucoguide as a reference (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694) and for instructions on installation. When I run xLODGen through MO2, I select all of the BGS worlds (base game+DLC) and Falskaar. I use the setting suggested by the aforementioned Tucoguide.

A few seconds after selecting "Generate" I am greeted with an error popup that reads:

"LODGen process error, exit code E0434352."

The log from the note that the background loader has finished until this error can be seen below:

[00:09] Background Loader: finished
[Tamriel] Generating LOD
[Tamriel] Gathering CELL and LAND records.
[Tamriel] Land height: -27000, Water height: -14000, Scanned: 16385 CELL records, Found: 16384 LAND records for area [-64,-64] to [63,63]
[Tamriel] LODsettings: Level 4 to 32 stride 256 from -96,-96 to 0,0
[Tamriel] Exporting terrain mesh data for LODGen to C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
[Tamriel] No options file found: C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\SSELODGen_Skyrim_Tamriel_Options.txt
[Tamriel] Saving LODGen data: C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.txt
[Tamriel] Running "C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen.exe" "C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.txt"
============================================================
Skyrim Object LOD Generator 2.5.2.0
Created by Ehamloptiran and Zilav
Updated by Sheson

Log started at 4:57:54 PM

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.QuickDemand(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String fullPath, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
   at LODGenerator.Common.Utils.GetFullPathWithEndingSlashes(String input)
   at LODGeneratorCMD.Program.Main(String[] args)
LOD Generator: finished (you can close this application now)

I can provide the full log at request.
I am not sure what error I am running into here. There are no spaces nor any illegal characters that I can find in any of the file paths. I am not sure what exit code E0434352 indicates, nor do I know how to go about finding out. I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might be able to provide. 

Post the full log.

Pastebin link to log: https://pastebin.com/iDTzNd8A

Note: This is only one of the runs in the log, but they should all be identical, so that should not matter.

I'll add as well that I am running on Windows 10, with the most recent public update. 

Let me know if you need any further information.

Can you also please upload/pastebin  C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.txt

GameMode=TERRAINSSE
Worldspace=Tamriel
CellSW=-96 -96
MaxLevel=32
TerrainData=C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
IgnoreWater=False
LandHeight=-27000
WaterHeight=-14000
ProtectCellBorders=False
QualityLOD4=5
MaxVertsLOD4=32767
WaterDeltaLOD4=-1
QualityLOD8=10
MaxVertsLOD8=32767
WaterDeltaLOD8=0
QualityLOD16=10
MaxVertsLOD16=32767
WaterDeltaLOD16=0
QualityLOD32=15
MaxVertsLOD32=32767
WaterDeltaLOD32=550
Skirts=256
PathOutput=?D:\SSExLODGenOutput\meshes\terrain\Tamriel

GameMode=TERRAINSSE
Worldspace=Tamriel
CellSW=-96 -96
MaxLevel=32
TerrainData=C:\Games\ModdingTools\xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
IgnoreWater=False
LandHeight=-27000
WaterHeight=-14000
ProtectCellBorders=False
QualityLOD4=5
MaxVertsLOD4=32767
WaterDeltaLOD4=-1
QualityLOD8=10
MaxVertsLOD8=32767
WaterDeltaLOD8=0
QualityLOD16=10
MaxVertsLOD16=32767
WaterDeltaLOD16=0
QualityLOD32=15
MaxVertsLOD32=32767
WaterDeltaLOD32=550
Skirts=256
PathOutput=?D:\SSExLODGenOutput\meshes\terrain\Tamriel

There it is: The ? in front of the output path. It most likely gets picked up as part of the -sse -o:"D:\SSExLODGenOutput\" argument. Make sure the double quotes at the beginning and end are straight ones. It is also possible there is an invisible character code right before the D:\ from copy pasting. Maybe just retype the entire argument.