[Help] Backup MO2 and complete modlist for transfer to a new PC

firejordan

Question

Hi all, I'm seeking help and clarification... I hope I can make this easy to understand, because I'm finding it quite difficult to articulate; What I want to be able to do is backup MO2, and my modlist as it is now (profiles, overwritten files, hidden files, merges, bashed patches, everything), so that I can effectively unzip/unrar it on a new PC with a fresh install of SSE and have it and all the mods behave exactly as they did on the previous machine. 

I searched this forum quickly but couldn't see this question had been asked yet. And I checked the MO2 FAQ, but I'm not sure if the first question in the FAQ has answered my query or not...  

One of the reasons being I want to be able to effortlessly update and add to mods in the future if necessary (and reinstall fomods if I change my mind about mod options, etc), so I want them to appear in MO2 how I'm used to seeing them, how they are now. Another reason being I like this setup and before I add anything that breaks the setup I want to be able to zip it up and back it up on another drive, so that when i inevitably remove SSE from my SSD for something else, and then later want it back and want to restore it's current state of modded glory, it's a simple install through steam, unzip and go.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks! 

4 answers to this question

If you are using Mod Organizer 2 in portable mode, it's as easy as just copying everything in the Mod Organizer folder. If you are using Mod Organizer in instance mode, you'll need to copy everything in the Mod Organizer folder and copy everything in the C:/Users/AppData/Local/ModOrganizer folder. If you're creating a backup copy, you may want to name these folders differently so you can remember which of the two goes in AppData.

Ah thanks Greg! Also, do you know if in instance mode it will make any difference to MO2, and the moving across of mods, if my Steam library on the first PC is in, for example, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition" and the steam library on the new PC is in "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition"? 

I.e. does MO2 work using the whole location of the mod?

Edit: Spelling, errors and clarification  :rolleyes:

Edited by firejordan

If the game path changes, edit ModOrganizer.ini (in the Mod Organizer folder) and change gamePath in the [General] section. This is right at the top of the file. While you have the ModOrganizer.ini file open, you might also search to see if anything else (like the -o parameter to Wrye Bash) is pointing to the game folder and change these as well.