High Quality LODs (by Ethatron)

stoppingby4now

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm no texture guru, but something seems off here. The below image has the texture and associated normal for the "tamriel.16.-64.-48_n.dds" file. The first is vanilla, the second is EDT2, the third is the normal from vanilla and the fourth is the HQLODs normal:

Posted Image

The first two are blank or with added noise; however, the normals appear to be adding depth or something to these blank textures. But something tells me that the HQLOD normal shouldn't have a hard 90 degree angle in it. These issues are scattered throughout the HQLOD normals (if they are issues).

EDIT:

These are all from the 256x256 matching files.

Hmm I;m no texture guru either, really don't know much about it but my first thought is: wouldn't that explain the seams we see? The seams are afterall not just one big patch of black but are broken up with parts that do look like they have a proper normal. I also can't explain well what I mean when I talk about this stuff :(

Now I'm no texture guru, but something seems off here. The below image has the texture and associated normal for the "tamriel.16.-64.-48_n.dds" file. The first is vanilla, the second is EDT2, the third is the normal from vanilla and the fourth is the HQLODs normal:

Posted Image

The first two are blank or with added noise; however, the normals appear to be adding depth or something to these blank textures. But something tells me that the HQLOD normal shouldn't have a hard 90 degree angle in it. These issues are scattered throughout the HQLOD normals (if they are issues).

EDIT:

These are all from the 256x256 matching files.

My guess is that the normals are parsed out differently in HQ LOD due to the mesh changes (imagine shrinking that partial ... smaller, it may have the same res as the vanilla). Terain texture creation and mapping are different than other textures.

BTW, ask Sparrow about this and the snowy terrain. He has some relevant experience with both..

• 3 months later...

Depends. If you follow STEP, then the recommendation is to only install the Hi_Res Meshes (due to the normals causing seams on some people's systems). If you are using SRLE, then then recommendation is to use the meshes + normals. Neither recommends a texture pack, probably ebcause they don't fit in well. I've tried them long ago, can't remember why I stopped using them, but there was something about the textures that wasn't good.

Well there've been long discussions on HQLOD before, just check page 2 and onward in this thread alone...

You can try them out ingame and see how any combination looks for you. I'd personally not bother to be honest. A mod like SDO for example will make a much bigger visual impact than HQLOD. If you want to play ti safe and quick, just download the hi-res meshes - it is very likely that you won't be missing the normals at all.