Should I use Morrowind Patch Project?

penguinopus

Question

I followed the Morrowind STEP guide very carefully, including running mlox at the end. Mlox told me my plugin order was fine and needed no sorting. (Yay!) But it also said: "You are not running the highly recommended Morrowind Patch Project (MPP). It fixes quest bugs, spelling and grammar, corrects subtitles and mesh and texture errors; amongst other fixes. Whilst Bethesda's own patches fixed a couple of dozen bugs the MPP fixes hundreds."

Huh. The STEP guide never told me to use the Morrowind Patch Project, but it sounds like a good thing to do. Did STEP just omit this... step?

6 answers to this question

OK - so first, STEP doesn't have a guide for anything except Skyrim LE. There are a good number of guides hosted by STEP, but anything that isn't Skyrim LE was created by one of the forum users - NOT the STEP team. Just to sort out that piece of misinformation. The STEP team isn't going to provide support for a hosted guide - that's the province of the guide's creator.

Second, having never seen the guide I couldn't answer the question directly, but I would imagine that if the guide didn't use it, it was for a reason. What that reason is, who knows, but a reason. I'd recommend going into that guide's sub-forum (where it's more likely to be noticed by it's author, if he/she is still around) and ask the question again there.

OK - so first, STEP doesn't have a guide for anything except Skyrim LE. There are a good number of guides hosted by STEP, but anything that isn't Skyrim LE was created by one of the forum users - NOT the STEP team. Just to sort out that piece of misinformation. The STEP team isn't going to provide support for a hosted guide - that's the province of the guide's creator.

Second, having never seen the guide I couldn't answer the question directly, but I would imagine that if the guide didn't use it, it was for a reason. What that reason is, who knows, but a reason. I'd recommend going into that guide's sub-forum (where it's more likely to be noticed by it's author, if he/she is still around) and ask the question again there.

This is the URL for the Morrowind STEP Wiki:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Morrowind

It's the same domain name as the Skyrim STEP. It has the same links at the top of the page to https://forum.step-project.com/ that the Skyrim page has. When I clicked on that Forum link, it brought me here so here is where I asked my question. I'm puzzled by the assertion that this guide, posted on STEP'S domain, is not "a hosted guide" and is not part of STEP. I also don't know where else I would post to ask about this if this guide, hosted by the STEP domain, which links to this forum and no other, is not the appropriate place.

The guide was last modified 9 days ago, so it doesn't seem to be something that was posted and then forgotten about.

What I mean is that the guides posted on the site, with the exception of STEP itself, are all forum user created. It's all on this domain, yes, but the STEP team itself is not behind their creation - they have provided a space for users to host their own guides. I'm not sure who is maintaining that guide (as it's never identified), but there is a link to a discord server. That may be your best direction to go for now.

The STEP team (primarily TechAngel) only works (to my knowledge) on the Skyrim LE guide. There should be a subforum around here somewhere that specifically references that guide, which is where these kind of questions are best posted. I'm not saying, nor did I mean to imply, that this was the wrong place - only that you were more likely to get an answer by posting in the subforum or thread specifically for that guide. The links at the top are all generic (and show for every guide hosted here), so it's not wrong... just maybe not wholly right.

Just because it's hosted here doesn't mean it's STEP's work - only that it's hosted here. Hopefully, I've cleared up the confusion - not trying to shut you down, trying to get you to somewhere that your question might be able to get a quicker answer. Once it rolls off the recent posts list on the side, unless you know where to look for it, it's unlikely that anyone will get back to it.