MO no longer able to load mods in any executable.

Vynarus

Question

I was playing on Skyrim for the first time in about a month or two, deleted all my old saves for my current profile to reroll a new character, play for about 20-30 minutes and get a CTD mid-combat or so. Relaunch SKSE to get told a parameter is wrong (something about the number 87) so after some googling, I figure that just restarting the PC would work the problem out.
And it did! I was able to launch SKSE! Except... now it isn't finding the mods, or even the saves I had on the profile (using local for all), and even LOOT couldn't seem to understand that I had mods installed.

All of my executables are pathing properly, my ModOrganizer folder is not inside the game install, my game install is not in ProgramFiles/(x86). From the troublshooting I did attempt to do, I couldn't seem to find anything that was as specific as my problem, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Yes, I do boast a fairly big modlist, and the only real issue before tonight was the odd CTD here and there.

TL;DR
Skyrim was working fine, it crashed, parameters were wrong when relaunching SKSE, restarted tower, now all MO can do is launch Skyrim vanilla without any of my saves.

post-13316-0-76743800-1537787233_thumb.jpg

post-13316-0-54835400-1537787250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vynarus

5 answers to this question

I'm going to ask the obvious questions first, just to be sure the bases are covered:

A) Install locations for both the game and MO?

B) Reinstalled MO?

C) Reinstalled utilities?

You don't indicate any T/S efforts you've already made, so it's very difficult for anyone to point you in any given direction. The problem itself is described well, but we need more information on the setup - that's just as important to this kind of problem as the problem itself is, especially given that this problem has not (to my knowledge) been seen before. Greg might have more info that, but regardless, more information is needed, starting with the three things I listed and any other related things that might pop to mind.

My initial thought is that something went bonkers with MO's VFS, which would prevent it from seeing all the mods, but would still allow the game to run with what's in the main game directory. Theoretically, a reinstall of MO might fix that, hence B above.

Edited by Shadriss

My first guess is Windows 10 just because Windows 10 updates are always breaking something or antivirus software is interfering with the virtual file system. My first step would be to open the Mod Organizer folder to verify usvfs_proxy_x64.exe, usvfs_proxy_x86.exe, usfvfs_x64.dll, and usvfs_x86.dll are all present. If these are missing restore them from the ZIP file and add an exclusion to your antivirus software. If these are present, right click ModOrganizer.exe in Windows Explorer and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or checkbox, click it to unblock Mod Organizer and click OK. One of the later Windows 10 updates does not allow the virtual file system to work if ModOrganizer.exe is blocked. If this doesn't solve your problem, add an exception for Mod Organizer to your antivirus software.

Also ensure that you are not running any of the tools (like LOOT) or the game as administrator because Windows does not allow non-admin processes to hook or interact with admin processes.