[FNV] MO2 Help with ini editing.

NunoMG77

Question

I would like to ask a simple question about MO2.

Following the Hype for New California, I decided to do a fresh install of New Vegas.

After Associating Bethini with MO2 and opening the ini edit tabwithin Mo2 I see 4 .ini's to edit ( fallout.ini, falloutprefs.ini, falloutcustom.ini, custom.ini).

Doing a quick check with winmerge i notice that the last 2 are the same file, but not all is ported from the first 2 default ini's.

Can somebody explain me what file do i use to make my personal changes? most posts on the web point towards the default files, but having those 2 custom ones is really messing me up.

6 answers to this question

Both Bethini and fallout4 Config will write to falloutcustom.ini.

If you want to have profile specific customization or settings always applied on game load, you can create a mod and add an ESP or ESL to load your custom ini. You have to create an ini file like "MyCustomIniTweaks.ini" and a ESP or ESL called "MyCustomIniTweaks.esl" to load the MyCustomIniTweaks.ini. The ESL can be blank.

I use this to basically load my special tweaks, falloutcustom.ini, that I do not want to change.

Both Bethini and fallout4 Config will write to falloutcustom.ini.

If you want to have profile specific customization or settings always applied on game load, you can create a mod and add an ESP or ESL to load your custom ini. You have to create an ini file like "MyCustomIniTweaks.ini" and a ESP or ESL called "MyCustomIniTweaks.esl" to load the MyCustomIniTweaks.ini. The ESL can be blank.

I use this to basically load my special tweaks, falloutcustom.ini, that I do not want to change.

Thanks for the answer, I'm asking for New Vegas. i think Bethini creates an extra Custom.ini counting on JIP (not sure though).

i'll continue using the default ones to make my edits till i know more about.

thanks for the idea for FO4

I thought I had remembered seeing these at one point when I was setting up Clear and Present Danger or Fear and Loathing, but I checked all my profiles for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and I'm not seeing these custom ini files in any of my profiles.

I thought I had remembered seeing these at one point when I was setting up Clear and Present Danger or Fear and Loathing, but I checked all my profiles for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and I'm not seeing these custom ini files in any of my profiles.

I'm not too far ahead in my current save, also experiencing some weird problems. i'll just wipe the folder with steam and restart the whole to see what program places that custom.ini.

I'm using MO2 and Bethini. one of these two creates it, maybe.

Edited by NunoMG77

I would like to ask a simple question about MO2.

Following the Hype for New California, I decided to do a fresh install of New Vegas.

After Associating Bethini with MO2 and opening the ini edit tabwithin Mo2 I see 4 .ini's to edit ( fallout.ini, falloutprefs.ini, falloutcustom.ini, custom.ini).

Doing a quick check with winmerge i notice that the last 2 are the same file, but not all is ported from the first 2 default ini's.

Can somebody explain me what file do i use to make my personal changes? most posts on the web point towards the default files, but having those 2 custom ones is really messing me up.

JIP LN NVSE Plugin:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58277

Extra features: FalloutCustom.ini may now be created in the game's user folder (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV). Setting entries included in this file will overwrite the values defined in either Fallout.ini or FalloutPrefs.ini. This allows modifying the game's configuration files without actually editing them. This also ensures any INI tweaks will persist and will not be reset/discarded by a mod organizer or the default launcher.

so i finally got to understand where this Custom.ini came from.

i will start a new save editing all inside this file.