FNIS won't run

hardtroll

Question

1st = I was not sure about where to post this topic, so if o moderator think it is the wrong place, he can move it or tell me to move it the the correct section.

Well, after 2 week of following Nordic Guide (long time cause I read almost  everything on mods and forum about compatibility....etc), I am close to the end and my game is very nice looking, almost 4k, smooth running and with the gameplay I WANT !!!

But now I have a problem with FNIS. I installed the mod as told in the gamer poet video, then run FNIS 1st time = everything was good. I generate the patch. Then I do other staff, finish some texture picking....etc

Now I try to repatch. But BOOM, FNIS won't run again. WHY ???? After different try, I uninstall it, and re-install it, but that time, FNIS won't run at the first time !!! I post here a pics of MO2,     so you can see messages at the bottom of the image.

Very annoying.

What can make FNIS not running ?

Well, the versions on both LE and SE have the same version number for FNIS - and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, honestly. The last bit of advice I have is to redownload FNIS ensuring it is from the SE Nexus side. Clear out ALL PREVIOUS FILES generated, as well as the original install as well - as close to an original install and run of FNIS as you can manage to make it. Reinstall, re-run, and see what happens. 

If that doesn't work... then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas as well.

Well, scratch that - one more thing to check. Are any of these things (FNIS, MO2, Skyrim, etc) installed in the Steam Folder or inside the Program Files folders? That has been known to cause issues before as well.

Ok, NOW I'm out of ideas.

Well, the versions on both LE and SE have the same version number for FNIS - and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, honestly. The last bit of advice I have is to redownload FNIS ensuring it is from the SE Nexus side. Clear out ALL PREVIOUS FILES generated, as well as the original install as well - as close to an original install and run of FNIS as you can manage to make it. Reinstall, re-run, and see what happens. 

Well, scratch that - one more thing to check. Are any of these things (FNIS, MO2, Skyrim, etc) installed in the Steam Folder or inside the Program Files folders? That has been known to cause issues before as well.

Hi Shadriss, thanks for trying helping me. After investigating, I was wondering about the MO2 path installation. Actually, mo2 path is E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MO2 and my game is E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition, as it is shown in TUCO guide. On some video I see that MO2 is sometime install in Skyrim Special Edition data folder.

My question is : do you think it is better to install mo2 in Skyrim Special Edition folder ? If yes, I have 400+ mods installed now, so how can I do to do that safely without to much problem (specially like SKSE app).....

OR another solution = should I try to install FNIS manually, In skyrim special edition/ data folder (because right now it is only in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MO2/mods folder), and edit executable in MO2 point to this path .........IS IT SAFE to do that ?

And if it can help I have recorded with my phone (sorry for that, I do not want to lose time installing video recorder on computer) and put the video on youtube. So 1''20 sec video you can see my full installation in live and the try to run FNIS.  

I really want all chances to get rid of this !!!

You should not install Mod Organizer 2 in the game folder or the data folder because the virtual file system won't work correctly.

So it is already correctly installed right ?

What you show in the video is correct and it should be as simple as this. The only cases I can think of that might cause this issue is that FNIS detected a pirated copy of the game or moddrop installed on your system and refuses to run, or perhaps the .NET Framework required to run FNIS is not installed. I think you already ruled out moddrop and I'm assuming this is a legitimate copy of Skyrim. I think you stated that it ran at least once so this seems to indicate the .NET Framework is installed and working.

Just to cover all the bases, can you provide the link to the version of FNIS you are installing and the version of Mod Organizer you are using? I think you are using Skyrim Special Edition right?

What you show in the video is correct and it should be as simple as this. The only cases I can think of that might cause this issue is that FNIS detected a pirated copy of the game or moddrop installed on your system and refuses to run, or perhaps the .NET Framework required to run FNIS is not installed. I think you already ruled out moddrop and I'm assuming this is a legitimate copy of Skyrim. I think you stated that it ran at least once so this seems to indicate the .NET Framework is installed and working.

Just to cover all the bases, can you provide the link to the version of FNIS you are installing and the version of Mod Organizer you are using? I think you are using Skyrim Special Edition right?

I am running steam version of skyrim special edition version 1.5.58, with the last SKSE64 version 2.0.10. I have never use moddrop (and will never for sure :)  )

About net framework. I go to control panel, programs, programs and feature. Then on the left pane there is Turn windows feature on or off. I click on it. I disabled framework 3.5 (to try), and expand "framework 4.7". Here I just tick ASP.NET 4.7. To try. It doesn't change anything.

Also on the FNIS forum I made a post (here    my name pdamphet) where the author mention a user that had a problem with the FNIS window hidden by the MO2 window. But I was not able to find more information about that. And this is not like to be the case because FNIS seems not run at all. Not hidden.

Yeah, I think these are different issues. In your case it looks as if GenerateFNISForUsers is either not running at all or it exits before showing the UI. If I'm not mistaken, you'll need .NET Framework 3.5 enabled for FNIS to work. You can enable both .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7 at the same time, but you most likely don't need ASP.NET. This is used only when doing web development or running web applications locally.

Yeah, I think these are different issues. In your case it looks as if GenerateFNISForUsers is either not running at all or it exits before showing the UI. If I'm not mistaken, you'll need .NET Framework 3.5 enabled for FNIS to work. You can enable both .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7 at the same time, but you most likely don't need ASP.NET. This is used only when doing web development or running web applications locally.

Well, now I just redone it same as before, .NET framework enabled and ASP.NET not enabled. Fnis still not running......And on the MO2 help forum here is my post .....https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/issues/573 .... the mod author himself seems to run out of solution too ......After 2 weeks of modding, slowly and reading everything on mod pages to have full information, understanding almost all the basing process, ands finnally get a very beautiful and smooth skyrim, it is very frustating to be se close to the achievement and facing such a big problem that totally makes you unable to finish the tuning of your game....I am not sure I will find the power to do the whole process again......

I saw that conversation with AL12rs on github earlier today while I was poking around to see if anyone else was having this issue with FNIS. The instructions AL12rs gave is completely safe... click the button to create a new instance and install just enough mods in this profile to run GenerateFNISForUsers. If you can run GenerateFNISForUsers in this new instance, there's probably something in your current instance that's causing the issue. If GenerateFNISForUsers runs successfully, read everything carefully to see if it's complaining about anything... especially if it says it detects something it doesn't like that may cause it to fail.

You can always click that button at the top left to switch back to your current instance without losing anything.

I saw that conversation with AL12rs on github earlier today while I was poking around to see if anyone else was having this issue with FNIS. The instructions AL12rs gave is completely safe... click the button to create a new instance and install just enough mods in this profile to run GenerateFNISForUsers. If you can run GenerateFNISForUsers in this new instance, there's probably something in your current instance that's causing the issue. If GenerateFNISForUsers runs successfully, read everything carefully to see if it's complaining about anything... especially if it says it detects something it doesn't like that may cause it to fail.

You can always click that button at the top left to switch back to your current instance without losing anything.

Well the problem when I make new instance is that it automatically create it in the c: folder wich is know to create big with Fnis. Is it safe to move it from here just by ''copying'' or what ?

If you want to be absolutely safe, download Mod Organizer 2 (Archive) from Nexus. When the download completes, open the folder where you downloaded Mod Organizer in Windows Explorer, right click "Mod Organizer 2 (Archive)-6194-2-1-5.7z", and click Properties. When the Properties dialog pops up, click Unblock and click OK. The point here it unblock the archive file so the extracted files are not blocked. Now extract "Mod Organizer 2 (Archive)-6194-2-1-5.7z" to a new folder of your choice and run ModOrganizer.exe. When prompted, select Portable mode so this is a completely stand-alone version (meaning everything is installed within the Mod Organizer folder instead of in %AppData%). When this version of Mod Organizer is running, install just enough mods to support FNIS and then run GenerateFNISForUsers to see what happens.