Can't Enable Unofficial Highres Patch BSA

Kraggy

Question

I'm following the STEP guide while also watching videos such as Dirty Weasel's, eg. 

since I've never used MO before and have hit a problem with MO2 while doing so.

I realise Weasel was using MO1 and now we're on MO2 so it's possible that this is a change in MO2 but at the moment I don't know how to proceed.

I've installed the "Unofficial High Resolution Patch" as per the video and it's in the Left Pane and enabled but then I hit the problem. 

At timestamp 5:21 in the video he shows going to the Archives tab in the Right Pane, scrolling down and setting the checkbox against "Unofficial High Resolution Patch.bsa" but that line is grayed out; when I expand the "Unofficial High Resolution Patch" node in the Archive tab the line for the .BSA with a checkbox is grayed out and the checkbox is NOT SET.

Also, the .BSA lines for the "DLC: HighResTexturePack" nodes are also grayed out, but in those cases the checkbox is SET.

The fact that in my system all these BSAs are grayed out and in the video they're not makes me think I haven't setup MO2 correctly but I see nothing in the program or the installation steps I followed which would explain this; it's as if MO2 is telling me I can't manage the archives in MO2, I notice that in the video there's a checkbox in MO1 that enables this, in my MO2 there's no such checkbox.

Can someone suggest what is wrong here and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

So an update on this,  I discovered that Weasel in a later video updated his version of the Unofficial Patch and in doing so made what I think is an important difference in the way he installed it.

The first time round (as in the video I linked to) he DIDN'T install the .ESP from the download, and at 5:18 in the video he shows the PLUGINS tab doesn't have a listing for the Patch, but when he installed the update is DID install the .ESP and, as expected, a PLUGINS entry for it was made.

I did the same thing and found the NOW the .BSA checkbox is SET and after some playing around it seems clear that the absence of the .ESP is the reason in my first install the .BSA was UNCHECKED.

So, one problem I had is resolved, the .BSA is now CHECKED, however I'm still left with not understanding why all the .BSA entries are grayed out .. I've now installed SKYUI and it's in the same state.

Is this a problem?  It's different from MO1, obviously, but is it a problem I need to worry about?

Thanks.

The original video is for Mod Organizer 1.3.x that manages BSAs without requiring the dummy plugin to load the assets in the BSA. This is somewhat of a controversial feature and is very complex to implement, so this feature was dropped in Mod Organizer 2. If you are using Mod Organizer 2, you must place the dummy plugin in your load order in the right pane in order to load the assets in the BSA.

Okay, thanks for that, as I saw when I did use the dummy .ESP the .BSA was enabled.

Since posting my question I came across a GamerPoets video talking about migrating from MO1 to MO2 where it had an explicit section on this aspect for those moving to MO2, had I seen that before I'd not have troubled you. :)

While trying to find the answer before posting here I went hunting for an MO2 'manual' but all I could find is this one https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer which doesn't say what version is it but seems clearly to be MO1, is there something similar for MO2?

Without it I fear following the MO1 docs is going to end in tears when differences in functionality exist, such as this.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

I'm not aware of anything similar for Mod Organizer 2 at the moment. I think the best source of information right now is the Gamer Poets videos. The only other difference of significance I can think of off the top of my head is that Mod Organizer 2 can run in portable mode (which is essentially exactly like Mod Organizer 2) or in instance mode. If You run Mod Organizer 2 in instance mode, you can create and switch between as many instances as you want where "instance" can be for different games or somewhat like different profiles for a game. This makes it easy to switch from say Skyrim Legendary Edition to Skyrim Special Edition to Fallout 4 without having to close Mod Organizer.

Thanks Greg, I was poking around YouTube last night and came across another series of Weasel's videos which looked at modding SkyrimSE.  I had initially not looked at those because he started before MO2 was released and was using NMM, but then I say that mid-way through the series MO2 had been released and he moved over to that and has one video looking at both migrating from MO1 and a 'cold install' of MO2, that video was extremely helpful and gave me an understanding of the issue I raised here as well as others that were confusing me.

I've decided to abandon trying to re-mod Skyrim LE .. I was still trying to use LE since (a) STEP isn't anywhere near finished for SE and (b) there are some LE mods that aren't available for SE .. but it's clear now that the time I'll spend learning my way round MO (1 or 2) would be better spent on SE, while keeping Vortex as a replacement for NMM for my existing LE setup.

Thanks.

I wasn't aware DirtyWeasel had a tutorial video on Mod Organizer 2 so this is good to know. Thanks!

The modding scheme for Skyrim SE has really started to flourish after SKSE and a few other foundational mods were released, so I suspect we'll see a migration to Skyrim SE. It introduces a few new issues, but the memory limits are pretty much gone with the 64-bit version of the game.