LOOT and FO4edit not detecting mods

HWJtp

Question

So I've been researching a couple days and i think I've tried just about everything that everyone recommended. so i'll elaborate a bit more. i use MO2 and everything was working great a few days ago, and suddenly the tools won't detect any mod plugins, coincidentally after a windows 10 update. mods work in game however.

what I've done so far:

update all tools, MO2, and F4SE. all tools have designated folders under my C drive. MO2 base directory is located in C drive, and all MO2 paths are set to that. (none of the programs are in my game folder or programs folders).  FO4 is on D drive. I've deleted local appdata for loot and MO2. disabled gamebar. all mod related folders have admin privileges, and excluded from AV

any other suggestions would be much appreciated..

If you are on Windows 10, right click ModOrganizer.exe in Windows Explorer to see if it's blocked. If it is click Unblock and OK to unblock it. Repeat this loot.exe and any other executables that aren't working. This probably isn't your issue since Windows 10 prevents Mod Organizer's virtual file system from working at all anywhere if it's blocked, but it's worth a shot.

Which version of MO2 are you running?

There is the official release form the nexus and there is the version from the builds section of the MO2 discord server.

I highly recommend getting the version from the Discord server and downloading that version. Make sure to unblock the download once it is downloaded and before you extract and overwrite your current install. This version is being updated constantly and has incorporated many fixes to make it more useable and stable.

You can get to the Github release page from any MO2 Nexus page.

I really appreciate the responses. I'm running v2.1.5 (i tried the MO2 v2.1.6 Dev Build 5 but reinstalled v2.1.5). I tried downloading through github installer, and the archived version. I also ensured i unblocked, gave admin privileges, and excluded folders from av each time i reinstalled. before reinstalling everything i cleared local appdata for MO2 and LOOT to do fresh setups. I also tried using default directories, (portable instance) C:/Users/MyPC/AppData/Local/ModOrganizer/NewName and (new instance) C:/Mod Organizer 2. downloaded a couple mods hoping maybe it'd hook, but had no luck. sorry if i'm providing to much unnecessary info. 

I can also provide screen shots of file locations, MO settings, logs, whatever will help.

Edited by HWJtp

windows 10 installed this update on the 16th: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023057/update-to-windows-10-versions-1507-1511-1607-1703-1709-and-1803-for-up

and the issue started on the 17th

LOOTdebug:

so i guess something is blocking loot from accessing the internet? Bitdefender has also quarantined lots of files from C:\Users\MyPC\appdata\local\google\chrome\user data\default\cache and most files are from the past couple days(a majority being blocked on the 17th).. it's worth mentioning i stream all my tv shows, but it's sorta coincidental that most are from the same time frame. of course i don't wanna go restoring and excluding malicious files. i have tried running MO2 and LOOT with bitdefender and firewall deactivated but it didn't make a difference. I remember why i stopped modding last time... 

Have you tried temporarily disabling defender to see if the problem goes away? I have no idea what could be causing this issue if it's not the firewall. The only other thing I can say is that it seems you are the second or third person having issues after this latest windows update.

yeah i tried that already.

i've seriously gone through at least 50 forums and nothing has helped.. in fact, i opened this forum bc i ran out of forums  :crash:  :lol: after awhile it gets really disorienting, and my brain has gone to mush. chances are it's something silly that i'm overlooking. that or i just need to reformat and start from scratch. sucks because this was my best attempt so far, i should probably be more productive over the break

edit: just wanted to add that of all the sites i've visited, the STEP forum is the most helpful and the most informative. Really appreciate the support y'all provide to the modding community

Edited by HWJtp

I think the issue that LOOT apparently can't access the internet is less important at the moment, so going back to the original issue...

Open Mod Organizer 2 and run LOOT> When LOOT opens, verify the correct game is selected (at the top center of the window). If this isn't the issue, click the three dots button at the top right and click Settings. Look through the list and verify the path to the game is correct. I also should also ask, is the game seeing any of the plugins? If nothing is seeing any of the plugins, run Mod Organizer 2, click Setting (the wrench and screwdriver icon at the top right), click the Diagnostics tab, and change Log Level to Debug. Close Mod Organizer 2, delete everything in the Mod Organizer\logs folder to start with clean logs, restart Mod Organizer 2, and run LOOT. Ensure LOOT is showing the correct game (and change it if necessary), and then exit LOOT and Mod Organizer. Finally, upload usvfs*.log to something like PasteBin and include a link to it here.

If the usvfs*.log is empty, it means Windows or antivirus software is preventing the virtual file system from working. If the virtual file system is working, it should be somewhat large and I'll look through it to see if I can find anything obvious.

sorry if i'm providing to much unnecessary info. 

The more info the better.

Can you provide a picture of the paths tab from MO?

A picture of the executables, FO4edit and LOOT. Stretch the window to show the full path to the binary.

Also do the following, from MO open the logs folder from the icon and then shut down MO. Delete the logs. Restart MO and run one of the programs and shut it down and then MO. Provide the logs that are generated.

yeah, the correct game is selected in loot. and all the plugins work in game (granted when i deleted local loot files it gave the game hour long load screens, and impacted performance), they just don't show up in LOOT/FO4Edit.

The usvfs.log is empty when ran in debug.

Heres the mo_interface.log though https://pastebin.com/QcQXuL3i

screenshots of MO2 paths, and file locations https://ibin.co/4NDJaqJMKfkv.png

I used red lines to break everything up to make it a bit easier, but it's still messy. FO4Edit is in the Fallout folder that was just me experimenting, i'll probably put it back in my c drive.

Your base directory, the directory where MO2 is installed, is C:/Fallout 4 directory.

The managed game is at D:/SteamLibrary/staemapps/common/Fallout 4.

From the log I see that the data path is “C:/Mod Organizer 2†and the Working directory is also “C:/Mod Organizer 2†when they should be D:/SteamLibrary/staemapps/common/Fallout 4. This is possibly from another install of MO.

Shut down MO and open ModOrganizer.ini and look for the “gamePath=†line. It probably looks like this  â€œC:\\Mod Organizer 2â€.  It should look like this “D:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\Fallout 4†without the quotes. You can change the line to this or you can rename the ModOrganizer.ini to something else and restart MO. This will in effect reset MO to a fresh install state.

I did reinstall MO2 several times, but the line was already set to "gamePath=D:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\Fallout 4".

Also tried renaming the ini file and it reset MO2 but i'm still experiencing the same issue :(

I even tried leaving the base directory at their default locations, installed the unofficial patch as a test plugin, but it still didn't detect any plugins (besides the game and DLC). could it be that MO2 isn't recognizing the base directory? (which all the mods show up in MO2 and in game, just not for loot or FO4Edit)

"Your base directory, the directory where MO2 is installed, is C:/Fallout 4 directory.", I actually have the base directory in "C:\Fallout 4 directory", whereas mod organizer is installed in "C:\Mod Organizer 2". So they are in separate folders under the my C drive. Should the base directory folder be located inside of the mod organizer folder? 

edit: I assume the virtual file system is supposed to put Mod plugins inside of the games data folder without them actually being saved there. With that said, can I edit Loot.ini and force a path to "C:\Fallout 4 directory", or is it supposed to detect the mod plugins in "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\data". I'd imagine if i did i'd be able to the all the mod plugins, just none of the core game plugins.

Edited by HWJtp

I installed a dummy.esp directly to the data folder, and the loot found the dummy plugin. So i guess for some reason the tools aren't wanting to recognize the virtual files, or similar to what you said with there being an issue with the paths. Like i implied though, i have very limited knowledge on how virtual file systems work.

https://imagebin.ca/v/4NHh6OIJxah8

Edited by HWJtp