Launching New Vegas from MO causes instant crash about 75% of the time

th3overseer

Question

Both the old Mod Organizer 1 Legacy version, and the latest version of MO2 do this. I try to launch the game, the screen goes black as if it's launching the game, and then it instantly closes and boots me back to the desktop. No error messages, no freezing, nothing. It does this more often than not when I try and launch my game, but there's absolutely no consistency to it. Some days, it will open without any problems every single time, whereas other days, it just isn't happening. Restarting my computer sometimes makes it more inclined to launch, but there's no guarantee of anything. I'm positive that Mod Organizer is doing this, because when I try to launch NV through steam, it works fine. I also tried to launch NV through MO from a totally clean file with no mods whatsoever, and it still instantly crashed to desktop. So, it isn't caused by mods, and it isn't NV itself, so it has to be MO.

Again, there are no error messages. I try to launch the game, the screen goes black for a half-second, then it just goes back to the desktop.

2 answers to this question

Could it possibly be any of the mods installed in Mod Organizer that's causing the problem? I know I've had this happen a few times with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, but it's always been because I had hosed the bashed patch or had a mod installed correctly. If you're using the Steam version, check that you're also using the 4GB patch. You might also check if a game overlay may be causing the issue as well.

I'm using the 4GB patch and the current version of NVSE. No overlays or anything like that. So, even if I don't have any mods activated, they could still cause crashing if they weren't installed properly? I have several mods from sites other than the Nexus, plus my own files that I personally made, so narrowing that down could be a problem.