Immediate CTD On Vanilla Oldrim

Kraggy

Question

After finding it impossible to diagnose a CTD when I added DynDOLOD to an existing Skyrim LE (Oldrim) installation I set up a completely new one, from scratch, using Vortex (to eliminate MO2 which I was using previously and with which I had several 'odd' experiences with its hooking mechanic).

Sadly, even after all this I am still getting a CTD a second or so after a character loads into the game.  I really can't see how it's something I've done or not done, yet I also can't believe DynDOLOD is broken in such a basic way, so I'm posting this in the hope someone can give me an idea where to look; I have read some debugging document but it was for SE and referred to a DynDOLOG log file (with [GAMEMODE] in its name) which I don't have and presume is an SE-only feature.

The system on which this is happening has only the following additions to what is installed by Steam:

1) The masters are clean, as evidenced by running LOOT, after following the STEP notes.

2) SKSE 1.7.3 is installed using this .INI

"[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
[Debug]
WriteMiniDumps=1"

3) PapyrusUtil 3.3
4) The Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch 3.0.13a
5) The Unofficial Hugh Resolution Path 1.2.1
6) ENBSeries 0.357 with these memory settings

"[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=10000
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false"

I ran DynDOLOD using:

TexGen.exe 2.54.0.0 29/11/2018 (1300041408)

DynDOLOD.exe 2.54.0.0 29/11/2018 (1300041408)
LODGen.exe 2.5.2.0 23/11/2018 (1299648096)
DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877.7z
Vanilla Skyrim and Dragonborn billboards High Res 1024 version 1.4.0

Since I'm new to Vortex I may not know the correct place to look but I think the load order is in AppData\Local\Skyrim\loadorder.txt:

"Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
holycow.esp
DynDOLOD.esp"

I run the program using a save which was created just after a new character exited the Helgen intro sequence.  As I say, within a second or two of the character appearing the game CTDs, when I disable the DynDOLOD_Output mod the crash doesn't happen.

SKSE creates a CrashDump file but it's 0 bytes long, SKSE's log file as these lines at the end

"save name is Save 3 - Kerin  Skyrim  00.37.23

full save path: C:\Users\robin\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves\\Save 3 - Kerin  Skyrim  00.37.23.skse
dispatch message (2) to plugin listeners
no listeners registered
loading co-save
dispatch message (3) to plugin listeners
no listeners registered
cleared save path
Skyrim has crashed in a known crash location (on exit while destroying TESIdleForms). No crashdump will be written in release builds."

As far as I can see I've configured what the GP DynDOLOD video refers to "Sheson's memory patch" correctly and have nothing except the absolute minimum of mods which are needed to create and run DynDOLOD; I decided not to add SkyUI as the GP video said that is not required (although clearly it's very helpful) so as not to add more moving parts.

I apologise for this long post but hopefully you can see that I've no idea how to proceed to diagnose what I presume is a very simple problem but one which I've spent the last day trying to deal with.  I absolutely expect it's something stupid I've done (or not done) but I don't know what else to read that I haven't already done so, several times. :)

Edited by Kraggy

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

FAQ: Game: ILS or CTD

A: More LOD uses more memory and this can cause infinite loading screen (ILS) or crash to desktop (CTD) if the game is not setup correctly. This should generally not be a problem with Skyrim Special Edition or Skyrim VR, but for Skyrim double check heap memory usage (block 1) with Memory Blocks Log from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/ and adjust SKSE or SSME memory settings. Or use alternative OSAllocator from crash fixes with pre-loader. Remove satefy-load if it is used to verify it doesn't cause CTD. Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini 

A: Do not use the experimental TreeFullFallBack setting without understanding what it does and what it is for. 

A: If heap memory is not the cause of CTD see ..DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD-README.txt for checking if a missing or invalid nif model used for dynamic LOD is the cause. 

From the manual

Configuration files and settings use the game mode as identifier. It is TES5 for Skyrim, SSE for both Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR and ENDERAL for Enderal. Throughout the documentation substitute the 'x' like in xEdit.exe or the [GAMEMODE] like in 'DynDOLOD_[GAMEMODE].ini' with the current game mode.

So whenever you see [GAMEMODE] substitute it with TES5

Test with new game by using coc whiterun from main menu.

Nobody should be using Vortex voluntary unless you want to help beta test it.

Edited by sheson

I just found this slightly different behaviour loading a save taken still in the Helgem sequence right before exiting into the game world for the first time.

While the Papyrus log in the first crash only contained the initialisation text, the one from this case has the following:

"Loading Version: 33

Init...
-done
Registering functions...
-done
Storage Reverting...
Done!

JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Worlds.json
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_.json
JSON: File does not exist, init empty root object...
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_.json
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD__Objects.json
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD__Objects.json
JSON: File does not exist, init empty root object..."

Also this time SKSE created a crash dump but I don't know what tool can be used to look at it, like before I did find some comments on these but they were based on SE and so I have no idea if they're relevant.

Thanks for the reply Sheson.

I have seen those references before but thought that such a basic system as I have wouldn't need extensive debugging, after all it's nothing more than the vanilla game with common tools and installed using a well know and long standing method.  

Anyhow, I ran with Memory Blocks Log but frankly don't know what an 'error' would look like:

"logging of blocks enabled

logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
512MB 256MB
85 8
85 8
85 9
85 10
85 11

... I edited out umpteen lines counting up both memory regions ...

278 98
279 98
281 98
281 99"

As far as I can see this confirms I have configured the SKSE memory patch correctly as it shows Block 1 is 512Mb which I believe it what that patch does.

[edit]

I was typing this reply as you posted your second one, I'll go look at that replacement DLL now.
Edited by Kraggy

I download what I think was the correct file from the link you gave me, installed it into Vortex and verified it seemed to be correct as I saw a DynDOLOD.DLL appear in the Data\SKSE\pligins folder, it is dated 5 November 2018.

The game still crashed, though this time I didn't see the PapyrusUtil log output I posted before, this time it was like it was previously, only having these lines:

Init...
-done
Registering functions...
-done
Storage Reverting...
Done!"

Also, the MemoryBlocksLog.log file ended at "203 99".

I disabled the replacement DLL and once more the PapyrusUtil log showed the JSON: output, while the MemoryBlocksLog.log ended at the '203' line again.

The memory patch is working correctly.

The minidump can be upload here http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze

This is how the PapyrusUtil log should look when everything is installed correctly:

Loading Version: 33
Init...
-done
Registering functions...
-done
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Tamriel.json
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.json

In case DynDOLOD can not properly resolve the worlds name (to Tamriel) it usually uses "None" instead of empty as the log lines you posted seem to indicate. There should be some kind of message on screen (but it might not have the time to show them) or maybe something in the Papyrus logs. But same problem, it might not have the time to actually get out the message in time.

Generally, make sure that none of the SKSE, PapyrusUtil and DynDOLOD Resources papyrus scripts are overwritten by older versions. It can also happen that an archive gets not fully unzipped so that not all files are installed.

Only DynDOLOD DLL papyrus scripts should overwrite the DynDOLOD Resources papyrus script in case you want to use DynDOLOD DLL.

If all that seems to be in order install Crash Fixes. If that doesn't pop up with a human readable error message, enable the debug mode as explained in readme and then check/upload/pastebin the papyrus log.

If the log doesn't reveal anything, upload/pastebin the contents of  SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Worlds.json and  SKSE/Plugins/DynDOLOD_Data/DynDOLOD_Worlds.txt so I can verify if it is OK.
Edited by sheson

Okay, now I see the Papyrus output isn't what you'd expect, so I guess that's likely going to be the cause of the crash somewhere down the line.

Just FYI, I went ahead and installed the pre-load DLL tools you referred to earlier "Or use alternative OSAllocator from crash fixes with pre-loader. Remove satefy-load if it is used to verify it doesn't cause CTD. Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini "

After doing so and ensuring OSAllocator was set to 1 I got the following output in CrashFixPluginsLog.txt

"01 Dec 13:04:59 Game has crashed with exception address 0xC500B0!"

I'll go take a closer look at the parts of the system you just referred to.

I really appreciate this help Sheson, without it I'd simply have abandoned my attempts after finding the problem even existed with such a 'vanilla' and simple game setup.  I'll get back to you when I've done the research.

upload the minidump to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze and post its output. While chances are slim it might tell something of use.

To clarify, when I say payrus log I mean c:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script\Papyrus.0.log, so check that in addition to the log from PapyrusUtil.

It might give an idea how the game got before it crashed.

I uploaded one of the crashdumps to the site you linked to and this was the start of its report:

FAULTING_IP:

TESV+8500b0
00c500b0 8b4204 mov eax,dword ptr [edx+4]

EXCEPTION_RECORD: ffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
ExceptionAddress: 00c500b0 (TESV+0x008500b0)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
Parameter[0]: 00000000
Parameter[1]: 00000004
Attempt to read from address 00000004

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ

PROCESS_NAME: TESV.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1: 00000000

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER2: 00000004

READ_ADDRESS: 00000004

FOLLOWUP_IP:
TESV+8500b0
00c500b0 8b4204 mov eax,dword ptr [edx+4]

FAULTING_THREAD: 00000218

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ

Not much use I guess, since it died in the TESV.exe rather than another identifiable user-added module, I'll pursue the script issue in a bit.

For this test I removed the stand-alone DynDOLOD.DLL to go back to the current DynDOLOD release and re-checked my setup for Crash Fixes and have these flags enabled, as cut/pasted from C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\CrashFixPlugin.ini

"[Patch]
UseOSAllocators=1
RecordCrashInfo=1
WarnBadENB=1"

When the crash happens this is the info that gets written to the file in Data\Plugins\CrashLog

"Crash info:

2018_12_01_14-03-18 - C500B0: V(1); EAX(0); EBX(1BA7020); ECX(0); EDX(0); ESI(2C169140); EDI(0); EBP(EAB6438); ESP(2146E5D8); STACK(4D94F2 C60260 C60337 EBFB90 E30F9B EC0BC4 E30F9B EBFD5F E30F9B EC0BC4 E30F9B FFFFFF 55E377);
Not so useful info (don't post unless asked):
...<SNIP>..."

which simply shows the same crash point as the dump analyzer did.  You asked about these DynDOLOD files on the Data\SKSE\Plugins directory:

DynDOLOD_Worlds.json

{
"string":{
"plugin":"dyndolod.esp",
"tamriel":"tamriel",
"windhelmworld":"tamriel",
"riftenworld":"tamriel",
"markarthworld":"markarthworld",
"whiterunworld":"tamriel",
"blackreach":"blackreach",
"skuldafnworld":"skuldafnworld",
"deepwoodredoubtworld":"deepwoodredoubtworld",
"sovngarde":"sovngarde",
"solitudeworld":"tamriel",
"whiterundragonsreachworld":"tamriel",
"japhetsfollyworld":"japhetsfollyworld",
"katariahworld":"tamriel",
"windhelmpitworldspace":"tamriel",
"labyrinthianmazeworld":"labyrinthianmazeworld",
"dlc01falmervalley":"dlc01falmervalley",
"dlc01soulcairn":"dlc01soulcairn",
"dlc1hunterhqworld":"dlc1hunterhqworld",
"dlc2solstheimworld":"dlc2solstheimworld",
"dlc2apocryphaworld":"dlc2apocryphaworld",
"bunchofnumbers":"5N4O8S0E8H2S42O3T5T0I8M1B7U0S3",
"debug":"false"
},
"int":{
"tamriel":4710,
"windhelmworld":4710,
"riftenworld":4710,
"markarthworld":19184,
"whiterunworld":4710,
"blackreach":22424,
"skuldafnworld":21020,
"deepwoodredoubtworld":22085,
"sovngarde":21388,
"solitudeworld":4710,
"whiterundragonsreachworld":4710,
"japhetsfollyworld":23547,
"katariahworld":4710,
"windhelmpitworldspace":4710,
"labyrinthianmazeworld":24028,
"dlc01falmervalley":22792,
"dlc01soulcairn":19386,
"dlc1hunterhqworld":22247,
"dlc2solstheimworld":17327,
"dlc2apocryphaworld":20402
},
"float":{
"nearmultiple":1.25,
"farmultiple":1.5,
"nevermultiple":1.75,
"ugrid":10240,
"neargrid":22528,
"fargrid":43008,
"fminsecondsforloadfadein":2.70000004768372
}
}

DynDOLOD_Worlds.txt

[Config]
bunchofnumbers=5N4O8S0E8H2S42O3T5T0I8M1B7U0S3
plugin=dyndolod.esp
nearmultiple=1.25
farmultiple=1.5
nevermultiple=1.75
ugrid=10240
neargrid=22528
fargrid=43008
fminsecondsforloadfadein=2.70000004768372
debug=false
[Worlds]
tamriel=tamriel
windhelmworld=tamriel
riftenworld=tamriel
markarthworld=markarthworld
whiterunworld=tamriel
blackreach=blackreach
skuldafnworld=skuldafnworld
deepwoodredoubtworld=deepwoodredoubtworld
sovngarde=sovngarde
solitudeworld=tamriel
whiterundragonsreachworld=tamriel
japhetsfollyworld=japhetsfollyworld
katariahworld=tamriel
windhelmpitworldspace=tamriel
labyrinthianmazeworld=labyrinthianmazeworld
dlc01falmervalley=dlc01falmervalley
dlc01soulcairn=dlc01soulcairn
dlc1hunterhqworld=dlc1hunterhqworld
dlc2solstheimworld=dlc2solstheimworld
dlc2apocryphaworld=dlc2apocryphaworld

Finally from the crash run, the Papyrus log file shows the same 'empty' world name as you observed before.

You also mentioned possible script conflicts, I have a command-line tool with an enhanced DIR command which shows the resolution on Hard Links which shows these files in the Scripts directory (I've only shown the scripts being changed by mods added in Vortex, all the rest in Scripts are from the SKSE 1.7.3 release archive):

"Directory of  C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts\*
10/09/2015  04:21             929  ___A___________  ActorUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\ActorUtil.pex
05/09/2016  14:43           8,182  ___A___________  JsonUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\JsonUtil.pex
15/09/2016  09:19           2,099  ___A___________  MiscUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\MiscUtil.pex
09/05/2016  20:47             999  ___A___________  ObjectUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\ObjectUtil.pex
05/09/2016  13:44           7,955  ___A___________  PapyrusUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\PapyrusUtil.pex
05/11/2018  01:45             617  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_Alias.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_Alias.pex
05/11/2018  01:45          14,476  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_Firstborn.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_Firstborn.pex
05/11/2018  01:45          14,034  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_LODObject.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_LODObject.pex
05/11/2018  01:45           8,766  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_Master.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_Master.pex
05/11/2018  01:45          23,753  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM.pex
05/11/2018  01:45           4,234  ___A___________  SHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877\Scripts\SHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest.pex
23/03/2016  20:59          19,558  ___A___________  StorageUtil.pex
                                                  = C:\Modding\Common\VortexMods\skyrim\PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions-58705-3-3\scripts\StorageUtil.pex"

I hope somewhere among all this is something that catches your eye, right now I don't see any more debugging options in the .INI files I'm aware of I can turn on.

Okay, so I think I found one problem here .. wrong mod order!

Being new to Vortex I wasn't really aware of how it ordered mods and I guess hadn't concentrated enough on that aspect and I realised it was saying Papyrus was loading AFTER DynDOLOD which seemed to be wrong even though the DIR listing I posted before looked okay to me, so I reordered them with Papyrus before DynDOLOD and ...

... the game still crashed. :(

BUT, the Papyrus log is critically different:

Init...
-done
Registering functions...
-done
Storage Reverting...
Done!

Storage Loading...
MODS Load
Loading mod list...
Done!

JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.json"

also, I noticed a DynDOLOD log file:

"DynDOLOD Plugin 2.45.0 for Skyrim Script Extender 1.7.3 for Skyrim 1.9.32.0
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_worlds.txt"

So the missing world name is resolved but seems to have been a re-herring, the crash still occurs at the same point:

"01 Dec 14:57:11 Game has crashed with exception address 0xC500B0!"

No nearer a solution I fear. :(
Edited by Kraggy

Please post the papyrus log with debug set to true in the DynDOLOD worlds json.

Generate LOD from scratch in case the load order of plugins changed (not counting PapyrusUtil)

I would suggest if possible, to make the game folder vanilla, then fully manual install SKSE, resources, DynDOLOD DLL, generate LOD and install manually as well. Not need for holycow.esp 

Okay, I'll do that .. I originally did start off this clean install manually but in the end it seemed a bit easier, though with hindsight Vortex made it harder to fine-tune the mod order, I'll do it all by hand this time.

Thanks.

Well that took some time :), but sadly after a complete re-installation the game CTDed as it did earlier.

I did a manual clean install using downloads from Nexus today (except for the DynDOLOD DLL which was from the link you provided earlier):

1) A fresh download from Steam

2) The .ESMs were cleaned as per S.T.E.P. including the 3 wild edits in Dawnguard, LOOT showed no errors

3) SKSE 1.7.3 and PapyrusUtil 3.3 were installed and a SKSE.INI was created like this:

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Debug]

WriteMiniDumps=1

4) DynDOLOD DLL and its scripts were installed from DynDOLOD-DLL+Scripts-TES5.1.9.32.7

5) The DynDOLOD Resources were installed from DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877.7z, only the 00 'core' content was installed

6) Billboards were installed from Vanilla Skyrim and Dragonborn billboards High Res 1024-75269-1-4.7z

I didn't include anything else, not even the Unofficial patches, I wasn't sure which order to do the DynDOLOD steps, but the scripts seemed to have the same timestamps so I presumed the order didn't matter.

After this a Save from earlier in the day was loaded to check things were okay at this point, this save was entirely 'vanilla' with no mods at all being required.

Once this was done I ran TexGen, which failed, complaining about the lack of an [Archive] section in Skyrim.ini.

Looking at the .INI from my earlier attempts I found this section, along with much else wasn't in the new .INI  but then rembered the GP video does mention this, so as a quick fix I simply copied the whole Skyrim.INI from the morning's attempts and TexGen was then happy to create the output textures, which looked on the face of it the same as the earlier runs.

I copied the 'textures' directory in the TexGen output directory to Skyrim\Data and let it overwrite any conflicts and then ran DynDOLOD with these settings:

1) All worlds selected.

2) Medium quality, no load rules for Candles or FXGlow.

3) All 'generate' options were set, but the options on the right (Windows, Fake..., etc.) were not set.

The files in DynDOLOD_Output (the .ESP was a bit smaller than before but I put that down to my not including the Unofficial patches this time) were copied to Skyrim\Data and then I ran the game to get to the initial menu to enable the DynDOLOD.esp in plugins.txt.

As you requested I set the DEBUG value in DynDOLOD_worlds.json to "true" and ran the game in the same way I did before doing the DynDOLOD steps:

Init...

-done

Registering functions...

-done

Storage Reverting...

Done!

JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.json"

There doesn't seem to be any more debug output than se saw before yet this is what's in "Data\SKSE\Plugins\StorageUtilData\DynDOLOD_Worlds.json":

"

{

"string":{

"plugin":"dyndolod.esp",

"tamriel":"tamriel",

...<SNIP>...

"bunchofnumbers":"3N3O0S8E0H7S18O4T31T7I0M0B0U3S8",

"debug":"true"

},

"

Did I change the wrong JSON, I don't think there's another one anywhere?  Do I have to proccess this file in some way for the change to take effect?

Checking the SKSE logs they looked like before, crashdumps were created but were empty.  Right now I'm utterly devoid of ideas, this thing looks pretty simple, if a bit involved when doing manual mod installs, and yet it's crashing on such a relatively simple DynDOLOD setup.

I am using the right DynDOLOD for the LE version of Skyrim aren't I?  I haven't somehow got hold of an 'SE' version?

Edited by Kraggy

The debug in the json/txt world file is for the papyrus scripting as explained in the readme.

It will cause the papyrus scripts from DynDOLOD to print additional info to the papayrus log c:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script\Papyrus.0.log, which needs to be enabled in the Skyrim.INI

I have to wonder why the archive setting was not in the INI though. That means it was not default. To make sure there no weird settings in INIs causing general problems make sure to make them default. You do this by removing them and starting the launcher.

Keep a backup for later.

Edited by sheson