Immediate CTD On Vanilla Oldrim

Kraggy

Question

After finding it impossible to diagnose a CTD when I added DynDOLOD to an existing Skyrim LE (Oldrim) installation I set up a completely new one, from scratch, using Vortex (to eliminate MO2 which I was using previously and with which I had several 'odd' experiences with its hooking mechanic).

Sadly, even after all this I am still getting a CTD a second or so after a character loads into the game.  I really can't see how it's something I've done or not done, yet I also can't believe DynDOLOD is broken in such a basic way, so I'm posting this in the hope someone can give me an idea where to look; I have read some debugging document but it was for SE and referred to a DynDOLOG log file (with [GAMEMODE] in its name) which I don't have and presume is an SE-only feature.

The system on which this is happening has only the following additions to what is installed by Steam:

1) The masters are clean, as evidenced by running LOOT, after following the STEP notes.

2) SKSE 1.7.3 is installed using this .INI

"[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
[Debug]
WriteMiniDumps=1"

3) PapyrusUtil 3.3
4) The Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch 3.0.13a
5) The Unofficial Hugh Resolution Path 1.2.1
6) ENBSeries 0.357 with these memory settings

"[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=10000
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false"

I ran DynDOLOD using:

TexGen.exe 2.54.0.0 29/11/2018 (1300041408)

DynDOLOD.exe 2.54.0.0 29/11/2018 (1300041408)
LODGen.exe 2.5.2.0 23/11/2018 (1299648096)
DynDOLOD Resources-59721-2-45-1541431877.7z
Vanilla Skyrim and Dragonborn billboards High Res 1024 version 1.4.0

Since I'm new to Vortex I may not know the correct place to look but I think the load order is in AppData\Local\Skyrim\loadorder.txt:

"Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
holycow.esp
DynDOLOD.esp"

I run the program using a save which was created just after a new character exited the Helgen intro sequence.  As I say, within a second or two of the character appearing the game CTDs, when I disable the DynDOLOD_Output mod the crash doesn't happen.

SKSE creates a CrashDump file but it's 0 bytes long, SKSE's log file as these lines at the end

"save name is Save 3 - Kerin  Skyrim  00.37.23

full save path: C:\Users\robin\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves\\Save 3 - Kerin  Skyrim  00.37.23.skse
dispatch message (2) to plugin listeners
no listeners registered
loading co-save
dispatch message (3) to plugin listeners
no listeners registered
cleared save path
Skyrim has crashed in a known crash location (on exit while destroying TESIdleForms). No crashdump will be written in release builds."

As far as I can see I've configured what the GP DynDOLOD video refers to "Sheson's memory patch" correctly and have nothing except the absolute minimum of mods which are needed to create and run DynDOLOD; I decided not to add SkyUI as the GP video said that is not required (although clearly it's very helpful) so as not to add more moving parts.

I apologise for this long post but hopefully you can see that I've no idea how to proceed to diagnose what I presume is a very simple problem but one which I've spent the last day trying to deal with.  I absolutely expect it's something stupid I've done (or not done) but I don't know what else to read that I haven't already done so, several times. :)

Edited by Kraggy

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Okay, I guess I'm not keeping up with all the 'readmes' that exist for all these bits and pieces, I think here you're referring to SynDOLOD-README.txt in the \Docs folder of DynDOLOD.

I did try doing what you said before.  As for the .INIs, as installed from Steam there is no Skyrim folder created for the game so I renamed the existing Skyrim directory in My Games and re-ran the Launcher (not SKSE) and this was what the game created for Skyrim.ini.

"[Display]
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1"

Literally, that's all the game has ever created for me when I run it for the first time.  Also, the option for Data Files isn't enabled by default so there's no plugins.txt file either, I've always had to use BethINI to create a full .INI but this time I didn't use it.

So how the entries for [Archive] are supposed to get there just playing the game itself is beyond me!

Anyhow, while poking around the one I got from running BethINI before I found the [Papyrus] section I think your'e talking about so I'll set that up and try again.

Well that was quicker than I expected, though I did have to install SkyUI which of course I hadn't so far as it wasn't needed to get lod generated.  My .INI file now looks like this:

"[Display]

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1"

The created Papyrus.0.log file is 35.6K so I'm attaching it to this post.  There's a mass of "script no longer contains that propery" before it gets to "Loading game.." which doesn't look good but I get that even when DynDOLOD.esp isn't enabled!

Papyrus.0.zip

There is something off if after the initial installation and starting the launcher there is no Skyrim folder and no default INIs created in c:\Users\[username]]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini

This is how the default Skyrim.ini looks when the launcher creates it anew:

[spoiler=Skyrm.ini]
[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

sD3DDevice is a SkyrmPrefs.INI setting and AFAIK the launcher does not add it to Skyrim.ini

Make sure the game itself is properly installed and default. At some point this also means to not clean the masters files to rule out a botched cleaning process.

A default and properly installed game should not have such errors in the papyrus log (especially the messages about the stack) when starting a "new" game from main menu and using the console coc whiterun command.

Below is the log with the expected error from SKSE they never fixed (Function GetEffectMagnitudes), Unofficial Patch and SkyUI messages and the expected message from DynDOLOD - with debug false.

[spoiler=Papyrus.log][12/01/2018 - 01:40:08PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[12/01/2018 - 01:40:08PM] Function GetEffectMagnitudes in the empty state on type Ingredient does not exist. Function will not be flagged as callable from tasklets.
[12/01/2018 - 01:40:08PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[12/01/2018 - 01:40:08PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:08PM] PATCH 1.5 QUEST HAS STARTED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:08PM] PATCH 1.9 QUEST HAS STARTED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:08PM] PATCH 1.6 QUEST HAS STARTED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:08PM] DLC1: Starting DLC1 Initialization quest.
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:08PM] [DLC2_QF_DLC2_MQ04_02016E02 ] DLC2Init quest START
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:10PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Worlds.json TRUE
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:11PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Tamriel.json TRUE
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:11PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.json TRUE
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:11PM] PATCH 1.4 QUEST HAS STARTED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:12PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Assigning INI values 2.700000
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:12PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM ] INITIALIZED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] DLC1: DLC1 Initialization quest done.
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ActiveEffectsWidget ] INITIALIZED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ActiveEffectsWidget ]: Updating to script version 2
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ] INITIALIZED
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 2
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 3
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 4
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 5
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 6
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 7
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 8
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Updating to script version 9
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] Error: File "Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "" Line ?
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 29
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.OnInit() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 24
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] Error: File "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 33
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.OnInit() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 24
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] Error: File "Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 37
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] Error: File "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
[uSLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "usleep_versiontrackingscript.psc" Line 41
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_FavoritesManager ]: Updating to script version 2
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] [sKI_FavoritesManager ]: Updating to script version 3
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:13PM] InitWidgetLoader()
[12/01/2018 - 01:41:14PM] [sKI_ConfigMenu ]: Registered SKY UI at MCM.

[12/01/2018 - 01:41:14PM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM ]: Registered DynDOLOD at MCM.

Fix the errors in the games installation. Then start a "new" game from main menu with coc whiterun from console. Once that is done I would expect these lines from your papyrus log

[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Worlds.json TRUE
[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_.json False
[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD__Objects.json False

to turn again into

[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Worlds.json TRUE
[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Tamriel.json TRUE
[12/02/2018 - 09:21:27AM] [sHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest ] Load DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.json TRUE

The missing string "Tamriel" indicates a problem with the scripts setup. As the papyrus script from DynDOLOD for PapyrusUtil is using StringUtil.pex functions to extract the worldspace name and then the PapyrusUtil JsonUtil.pex function to get the filename from Worlds.json.

Edited by sheson

Okay, so I just learned something ...

Ever since I started playing the game again after some years away I have NEVER run it from the Steam launcher, I've ALWAYS run it by directly running steamapps\common\skyrim\SkyrimLauncher.exe ... and doing THAT doesn't create an initial .INI, the one I have been getting is when the graphics auto-detect is trying to ADD the [DISPLAY] section!

Having just tried for the first time running the game from the Steam app. I now have a Skyrim.ini as you describe!

I've always known you have to run the game first-time to get an initial .INI file created but had no idea SteamLauncher.exe isn't the only thing that's run when the Steam app is used to run the game and since I have to run SteamLauncher.exe (at least until SKSE is installed) to run the game from within Mod Organizer I've never bothered to even consider using the Steam app to do so, which is why I've never seen the initial .INI as it should be created and didn't know any better!

Guess I now have to repeat everything I did yesterday *sigh*.

I do appreciate your continued interest in my problem, I'm sure it's getting pretty annoying for you now. 

Edited by Kraggy

Right, I've just manually re-installed the game again and not cleaned the masters, using https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11462-dyndolod-2xx-full-update-post/ as a guide following these steps:

1) Use the Steam app. to uninstall the previous version
2) Install from Steam and run it for the first time to get the initial .INIs created and to check the Skyrim.INI is as it should be, click Data Files to ensure they're all enabled
3) Create a new character and run it until it exits the Helgen tunnel and has the standard saves the game creates up to that point.
4) Install SKSE and PapyrusUtil, create an SKSE.INI in Data\SKSE with the [MEMORY] section for the 768/256 values
5) Install DynDOLOD Resources ('core files' only)
6) Install DynDOLOD DLL and scripts overwriting conflicts, nothing from Patches seemed necessary
7) Install the Vanilla Tree Billboards Medium res. overwriting conflicts
8) Edit Skyrim.ini to enable all the debug options in the [PAPYRUS] section

This completes the manual reinstall of the game with the minimum additions for DynDOLOD to create LOD and use it in-game.

9) Run TexGen using all default settings and install output textures
10) Run DynDOLOD for all worlds using default and 'medium' settings, install output .ESP and textures and add DynDOLOD.esp to plugins.txt (note there is NO loadorder.txt which I assume isn't used by the game itself)

This completes the generation and installation of new LOD

11) Edit SKSE\Plugins\StorageUtilData\DynDOLOD_Worlds.json to set 'debug:"true"'
12 Run game via SKSE to initial screen then Quit to check logs look okay at this point

These are the main logfiles at this point:

SKSE.log:
SKSE runtime: initialize (version = 1.7.3 09200000 01D48A49BB41FEF5, os = 6.2 (9200))
imagebase = 00400000
runtime root = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\
config path = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\skse.ini
...<SNIP>...
SetUnhandledExceptionFilter_Hook: 00CAC8A0
dispatch message (8) to plugin listeners
no listeners registered
Skyrim has crashed in a known crash location (on exit while destroying TESIdleForms). No crashdump will be written in release builds."

I have to assume this is a 'standard' bug in the game, since I've only installed SKSE and PapyrusUtil and presume neither of those cause this!

SKSE_Loader.log:
skse loader 01070030 (steam) 01D48A49BB20D0F9 6.2 (9200)
...<SNIP>...
default heap = 768MB (effective 512MB if not preloading animations)
scrap heap = 256MB"

This shows the SKSE memory fix is configured correctly I believe, the rest of the SKSE logs as well as the PapyrusUtil show nothing of interest.

13) Run game again and this time select the full Save I created once the character exited Helgen

NO CRASH!  The logs now show these details ...

DynDOLOD.log:
"DynDOLOD Plugin 2.45.0 for Skyrim Script Extender 1.7.3 for Skyrim 1.9.32.0
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_worlds.txt
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.txt
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.txt
GetStrArrayCount: empty array for key 1 in section objects in file Tamriel_Objects"

PapyrusUtil.log in the Skyrim game directory has nothing of interest, there are no JSON: messages even though debugging is enabled in Skyrim.ini:

"[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1"

However, my joy was short-lived as on checking Papyrus.0.log in MyGames\Skyrim\Logs\scripts I realised I hadn't installed SkyUI which as far as I know is optional but caused errors to be logged in Papyrus.0.log with DynDOLOD complaining about missing MCM info.

So I installed SkyUI and re-ran .. and IT CRASHED! 

All I did was copy the SkyUI.BSA and .ESM from the downloaded archive into the Data folder and edit the plugins.txt file to place DynDOLOD below SkyUI.

I've uploaded a .ZIP of all the log files I can find, as well as the TexGen and DynDOLOD logs because I see nothing in there which to me says there's a problem, I'm hoping you can if you're willing to take a look.  I assume there's yet another step I've missed in all this but I'm now punch-drunk reading readmes and other stuff and likely won't see a glaring omission because I've done it so many times now. :(

Sorry, I forgot the DynDOLOD logs.

Kraggy DynDOLOD Logs.7z

Post the Papyrus log of the CTD with SkyUI installed.

Then check if using PayrusUtil instead of DynDOLOD DLL makes a difference.

Skyrim crashes every time it closes normally, that is what the SKSE log message is about.

Edited by sheson

Test if the game works without DynDOLOD.esp but with SkyUI.

Then test what happens when you remove the Quest xx90090F DynDOLOD_MCM from DynDOLOD.esp with xEdit. Then there will be no DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM registered.

Edited by sheson

The game is fine with SkyUI and without DynDOLOD.

I've never used xEdit to do anything other than clean masters and create trivial .ESP patches, I'll be back when I've done the editing you want me to do.

[edit]

Well, that was easier than I feared :) .. the game still crashes with that quest removed.

Er, should the timestamp on the .ESP have been changed by TES5Edit after I updated it?  The file in \Data still has the time from this afternoon, yes re-running TES5Edit shows the quest I remove no longer present. although there is a TES5Edit backup folder with the .ESP inside it too so I assume the edit did work properly.

Edited by Kraggy

Timestamps are used by CK an older games to sort plugins, consequently a plugins timestamp is not changed by xEdit.

Can you post all the Papyrus logs the CTDs  and maybe even the one were it worked... without SkyUI installed.

The only only thing that still connects to SkyUI MCM is the SHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM.pex script. Remove at as well, even though it should matter.

With the Quest and the script fileremoved there is no interaction between DynDOLOD and SkyUI. So it should not matter if SkyUI is installed or not.

Because the SHESON_DynDOLOD_MCM.pex is a bit different for DynDOLOD DLL, do all tests with the papyrus scripts from DynDOLOD Resources + PapyrusUtil and then with the DynDOLOD DLL papyrus scripts and the DynDOLOD.DLL to checkif there is any difference.

Do all tests with coc whiterun from main menu.

Okay, I'm losing the plot here, I now can't get it to run even without SkyUI

Before, I was able to comment it out in plugins.txt and the game did not crash, but now doing that and even removing the .BSA and .ESP for SkyUI the game is crashing.

I did remove that .PEX you mentioned and it made no difference, but in view of the fact it's now not working even without SkyUI then that evidence isn't too useful; I don't see how I could have disturbed anything when removing that one file from the Data tree but something isn't the same or else the fact it worked before was some kind of fluke due to a race condition or something during the game's loading.

Anyhow, I've attached the Papyrus.x.log files I have from these attempts, in case something strikes you.  The PapyrusUtil log was the usual initialisation lines only, the DynDOLOD.log in My Games was this:

"DynDOLOD Plugin 2.45.0 for Skyrim Script Extender 1.7.3 for Skyrim 1.9.32.0

Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_worlds.txt
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.txt
Reading file C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\DynDOLOD_Data\DynDOLOD_Tamriel_Objects.txt"

Kraggy Papyrus Logs.7z

The logs still show tons of errors that should all be unrelated to DynDOLOD. Especially the stack warnings are problematic.

The vanilla game should simply not have any of these errors.

Can you just start the vanilla game without any mods and post that papyrus log?

Since the last message in some of these logs is DynDOLOD assigning config and INI values, the game might take issue with a setting or changing it.

Hide SHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest.pex and see what happens. That will remove INI valule assignment and maybe script errors later because stuff was not set properly, but just to see what happens. We may test a special compiled version that skips that step. But first we need to make sure the game has no error by itself.

Test with the real uncleaned vanilla plugins in case the log still shows so many errors starting just vanilla.

Edited by sheson

Okay, I reinstalled and did this:

Steps performed:

1) Use the Steam app. to uninstall the previous version
2) Install from Steam and run it for the first time to get the initial .INIs created and to check the Skyrim.INI is as it should be, click Data Files to ensure they're all enabled; Note that the masters are NOT cleaned.
3) Create a new character and run through Helgen to get the normal 1 Save and 3 Autosaves, take one more Save after exiting Helgen and completing the intial quest set and opening the Riverwood starter quest.
4) Install SKSE and PapyrusUtil, create an SKSE.INI in Data\SKSE with the [MEMORY] section for the 768/256 values and edit Skyrim.ini to enable all the debug options in the [PAPYRUS] section.
5) Load the character save from step (3) after exiting Helgen.

On exiting the game there wasn't a Papyrus.0.log even though I'd enabled Papyrus logging in Skyrim.ini:

"[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1"

I'm totally confused now as to what causes this log file to be create, but maybe it's because nothing actually made use of it since there's no SkyUI or DynDOLOD at this stage!  I've attached the logs I did get.

I'm going to do the next part you asked me for.

Kraggy Logs.zip

Edited by Kraggy

The next thing I did was install the DynDOLOD resources and re-ran the game and now of course it created a Papyrus.0.log because there were scripts added which called it.

I then removed SHESON_DynDOLOD_Quest.pex and re-ran.

I've attached both logs, '1' is the first run and '0' the second, as you'll see from the timestamps.Papyrus Logs.zip