STEP guide, cant follow it, lack of details.

deezdrama

Im pretty frustrated at this point.

I cut my teeth on morrowind back when it released, played and beat it and all the following elder scrolls titles. Usually build a new system just to play an upcomming ES title.

None of them ever compared to the memories of morrowind. So after researching all last week in the evenings after work on which modded version of morrowind I wanted to play I chose the STEP build.

Couldnt find my disc copy so had to rebuy on steam. Spent hours trying to follow the guide and its just written like people are suppossed to have been modding this game everyday for the past 16 years.

Ive been building computers, modding games, building websites , doing computer graphics since the 90s and never hit brick walls like I have with this step guide. Its just vague and mentions things like the person following the guide should already know these things. Broken links to official patch files that I have to find on my own, Mentions of setting nexus downloads in mod manager and says to drag servers...what servers am I suppossed to drag and drop? Instead ive been extracting archives to mod manager download folder. Says to install via download tab....dont see a download tab.

Im just about to give up. Ive got nowhere and wasted a whole day. Is there no actual step by step guide for someone who hasnt been modding this game for past 16 years?

I'm going to reply to this post because I feel the same way.  I have been modding for a while and I am stumped on the last part of the Prerequisites page and about to sadly, give up.  My issue is with the Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition.  Actual question is with the Prerequisites page at the start "scripts archive in my data folder" when installing the Creation Kit.  Because then under the Merge Plugins Standalone (at the end of the Prerequisites Guide) you say under the "Idiot Check" to make sure that I have extracted the Creation Kits scripts to my Data Folder.

My Data folder currently contains:

Shader Cache (Folder)

SSEEdit Cache (Folder)

Video (Folder)

and then all the ESM's with some texture.bsa's

Should I have more in my Data folder here? I dont see any creation kit scripts here?

Up at the start of the guide under the Creation Kit you say "Notice: The scripts archive in the Data folder can remain after extraction" yet Im unaware what that was referring to since we extracted to Steam\steamapps\commmon\Skyrim Special Edition and not the data folder.  Should it have put something in my Data folder there?

This led me to believe that maybe I was a victim of the Notice you posted "Please note if you cannot find the TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg during setup you need to change the file structure of the Creation Kit scripts so it is Data\Scripts\Source"

which led me to this excellent post 

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5263865-ck-20-can-not-create-scripts-problem-and-solution/

and this is where my journey ends.  I cant for the life of me understand how I have to "You need to add  "sScriptSourceFolder = ".\Data\Scripts\Source" under [Papyrus] in creationkit.ini and create ".\Data\Scripts\Source" folders and move files)

Also, under that nearly last step of the Prerequisites guide under the Merge Plugins Standalone section, you dont make it clear if we should launch Merge Plugins by itself or through Mod Organizer.  Your instructions were so solid before that, I found it odd that you didnt specify.  however looking at the pics you posted I finally realized you meant through mod organizer  :)

Im just sad because if I actually have to change the file structure of the Creation Kit scripts so it is Data\Scripts\Source I think I may be over my head :(

Edited by Getty

also, in case anyone cares, the BethINI mod (which is referenced in the above prerequisites) on Nexus Forums seems to have a trojan (i know, great news)

This is a false positive. It's rather unfortunate that some antivirus software have very loose detection rules that trigger false positives on legitimate software.