83Willows 101BugsHD Butterfly Dragonfly Luna-Moth Torchbug (by 83Willow)

stoppingby4now

Thanks!  They are pretty amazing, but the majority of it is not my work.  Impulseman45 made the butterfly meshes, most of the moth textures, and several of the butterfly textures (all the best looking ones).  Theregisteredone made the dartwing textures.  I did two of the moth textures and many of the butterflies.  I'm hoping to release soon.

I don't see anything in this mod that would cause issues. There are no conflicts in STEP. It's mainly just textures and meshes; although a messed up mesh can cause CTDs. The ESP is where most of the action is and it's mainly just a bunch of activators, some formIDs, and the alchemy ingredients. All needed for this mod to work. I could possibly look into the activators in the CK to see if anything is funky with any or them vs vanilla ones but that would take a while. So the only theories I can come up with to check are:

• Bad meshes
  • Issue with activator

Personally, I've not experienced any issues at all and a VRAM spike could be anything with this game. That sounds like simple cell loads. Do those spikes occur without this mod in the same scenario walking the same paths?

EDIT:  And I just repeated the test with a twist, running up and down along the length of the western river running between Markarth and Solitude, because the area (I've noticed) tends to have a lot of insects.  Same memory spike, then CTD within a minute of reaching it.  Repeated the test with no mod, smooth as silk and no issue.

Based on this, I think he did, Tech.

Edited by Shadriss

Perhaps people experiencing CTDs with this mod should take a look at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54485/?]this and load it after this mod? It doesn't actually address bugs (or does it? hehe) but perhaps it will solve whatever is causing the CTDs. If it's just VRAM overload, make sure skse.ini and enboost are set up properly. It might just be coincidence and this mod is simply the one pushing you over the edge memory wise

Right.  I didn't remember that the lower-res version existed.  I just reran the "River Stress" test with that.  Just to recap:

What's installed with all tests:  SKSE, ENBoost Live Another Life, Unofficial Skyrim Patches.

The test is a variant on the standard "stability test" wherein, instead of running at high speeds throughout Skyrim, limiting oneself to the Markath/Solitude river paths (I'm sure it has a name, but I never picked it up.)  This is chosen due to a high number of insect spawns in the area. 

"Vanilla" (nothing but the baseline): 

Min VRAM used:  1387 MB

Max VRAM used:  1537 MB

Run time:  15 minutes (before giving up.)

With 83 Willows High Res

Min VRAM used:  1191 MB

Max VRAM used:  1484 MB

Run time:  3 minutes

Now for the new test with the low res version

Min VRAM used:  1286 MB

Max VRAM used:  1398 MB

Run Time:  2 minutes

Another few observations, since I don't really have the tools to chart things:  

One, while the vanilla test looks kind of similar to the low-res test, the behavior was markedly different.  On the low-res, the VRAM usage didn't swing up much until it had several large spikes, up and down, in a row, before crashing.  On the Vanilla test, by contrast, VRAM slowly swung up until it hit the maximum, then barely changed at all, within 50 MB at a time. 

The high-res test, of course, is a different beast.  It actually starts out lower than the other two, then rapidly spikes out MUCH higher.  

Lastly, I've run each test multiple times - while the specific numbers change, the results are remarkably consistent.  I'll let the experts draw actual conclusions, or if someone wants to point me at better benchmarking tools so I can provide better details for another few runs I'll try that.

Those butterflies and dragonflies are boss. With the new mesh it really puts this mod to shame. Did you get hold of some HQ resources for these as they look pretty much realistic? I tried to capture a flying pair a few weeks ago and pretty much you have no chance unless they land or are dead. :lol: Looks amazing regardless.

Saviorsrd

Developers tend to keep away from increased instances like this. You seem to be experiencing why. The overhead from this would be put into something more important. I don't know why people are dismissing you.

Edited by Guest

Saviorsrd

Developers tend to keep away from increased instances like this. You seem to be experiencing why. The overhead from this would be put into something more important. I don't know why people are dismissing you.

Well, thanks for saying so.  I guess the fundamental question becomes, is this mod's visual improvements worth that kind of overhead increase and potential stability issues, given the mission statement of a valuable baseline setup?

I'm on my way home, but what if the shadow casting and recieving were to be disabled on the meshes? Shadows are amazing resource hogs and I would doubt you would even notice them on a creature like this. If you want to grab Nifskope I can walk you through it. It's just a few flags.

By the way, I wouldn't use the hi-res for this mod anyway. Way too large for the creature size and quantity.

Edited by Guest

I'm on a train so I have quite a bit of time. I remember it off top of my head. I can post it here because other people might gain something off it.

The activators I can investigate in the CK. The meshes, I wouldn't know what to look for if something was wrong about them or not. I know animated meshes can cause some CTDs and other issues if not done properly. If it's as simple as one or two meshes causing issues, those can be hidden and the mod kept without issue besides the "unbalanced" ingredients...which can be address in the STEP Patches or by the user themselves. I wouldn't want to get rid of this mod simply because a meshes is messed up. Hide it and done.