83Willows 101BugsHD Butterfly Dragonfly Luna-Moth Torchbug (by 83Willow)

stoppingby4now

The activators I can investigate in the CK. The meshes, I wouldn't know what to look for if something was wrong about them or not. I know animated meshes can cause some CTDs and other issues if not done properly. If it's as simple as one or two meshes causing issues, those can be hidden and the mod kept without issue besides the "unbalanced" ingredients...which can be address in the STEP Patches or by the user themselves. I wouldn't want to get rid of this mod simply because a meshes is messed up. Hide it and done.

Is that an option here?   I'm pretty sure this mod actually adds new insects to the game - those won't have vanilla textures as an alternative, so doing that would just result in missing texture errors.

It's most likely the number of them Tech, coupled with other mods, making the game unstable.

Tell me when you are ready Savior.

Ready.  I'm here all day, really.

Okay open the model obviously. You should see the object in the render window.

Click the main body of the insect.

Under "Block Details" window, it should highlight "NiTriShape".

Expand "BSLightingShaderProperty" below it.

You should see a line that says "Shader Flags 1" or similar.

Move across to the right and you should see a list of shaders.

Usually it starts with "SLF1 Specular" or "SLF1 Recieve Shadows".

Click this line at the end where there is a dropdown arrow. It should expand a dropdown menu.

Untick anything to do with shadows, which should be two instances.

"Save as" at the top and repeat for the other meshes.

Pretty simple.

Edited by Guest

...it's a good thing I have all day.    ::):

EDIT:  For reference, the meshes where I found shadows.

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\DF_Grim

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\fireflygo_red

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\Ingred_DF_Green

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\ladybird

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\ladybirdgo

Off to retest.  Low res only.

Edited by Saviorsrd

@SP

His "vanilla" run through shows that it's not other mods. Just this one.

Why would anyone put shadows on the bugs in this game? Seems to me they would be too small to be able to make any noticable difference.

@Saviorsrd

Of course you'd hide the textures as well as remove the entry in the ESP. Easily done with the STEP Patches with just a couple minutes work. :^_^: I'd rather fix the mod if it's something simple rather than getting rid of it.

I reproduced your runs both with a fully modded game and in vanilla. No CTDs. No issues at all, actually. Were these runs on a new game? I'm wondering if you have any mods that increase spawns for anything that might have been baked into your save and still lingering about for your runs.

Read son! We are taking the shadows off. :;): Edit: Unless you mean why would Bethesda which would have been less confusing for me to read.

Right, I thought Savior was doing a STEP run. If it's vanilla then wow.

...it's a good thing I have all day.    ::):

EDIT:  For reference, the meshes where I found shadows.

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\DF_Grim

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\fireflygo_red

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\Ingred_DF_Green

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\ladybird

\meshes\83Willows_101BUGs\ladybirdgo

Off to retest.  Low res only.

Really? I thought this mod would have copy and pasted the meshes with a different texture path, but I haven't checked.

Edit 2:

I'm back so I quickly downloaded them. They all have shadows from the random ones I opened. Are you sure you aren't clicking on the wings by mistake?

Edited by Guest

That's what I was asking. Why would Bethesda and other modders apply shadows to bugs? I see no benefit beside making sure they are "shadowed" while under a tree or another shadow for the sake of realism.

EDIT: They definately shouldn't be casting a shadow! They're too small to make any difference in the game. Stuff like that would be for screen archers, imo.

Read son! We are taking the shadows off. :;): Edit: Unless you mean why would Bethesda which would have been less confusing for me to read.

Right, I thought Savior was doing a STEP run. If it's vanilla then wow.

Really? I thought this mod would have copy and pasted the meshes with a different texture path, but I haven't checked.

Edit 2:

I'm back so I quickly downloaded them. They all have shadows from the random ones I opened. Are you sure you aren't clicking on the wings by mistake?

Entirely possible.  At any rate, that would bear out the first run where it helped, but still crashed at about the five minute mark instead of consistently going down in the first three.  

That's what I was asking. Why would Bethesda and other modders apply shadows to bugs? I see no benefit beside making sure they are "shadowed" while under a tree or another shadow for the sake of realism.

The same reason Bethesda put a fire shader on those Windhelm vines. No reason. This reminds me actually, that updated BDS file I sent you didn't have that disabled. Sigh. I'll have to send you a new one. Darn ELFX!

Entirely possible.  At any rate, that would bear out the first run where it helped, but still crashed at about the five minute mark instead of consistently going down in the first three.  

You are really going to have to do them all. That would be the only way to check. I know they all have shadows by the looks of it. I also know it's boring, trust me. :;):

Edited by Guest

I can confirm. It looks like they all both cast shadows and receive shadows. I'm running out of time today before having to go to work. I'd be interested in seeing a version of just the shadow casting turned off to see if that fixes it for you, Saviorsrd. If I had more time, I'd do it and send you the file to test. If it worked, that means the bugs would still be shadowed if they were under an object casting a shadow on them and wouldn't look out of place. However, if this all comes down to shadows, then perhaps your shadow settings are off in your INIs.

@DY,

Mine are not optimized via DDSopt and I'm not experiencing any issues either so that would seem to rule that theory out.

This actually reminds me back in the day when I used to get "Your mod made my game crash!" reports, some users referenced this exact same stretch of river. I wonder if they were running this mod? That's food for thought.

Yes Tech, I do agree shadow recieving should be enabled after this initial test with no shadows at all. IF the game is stable after this first "no shadow" test.

Edited by Guest