DynDOLODx64 SSE stops generating after DLC2ApocryphaWorld

nanashi

Question

I'm running DynDOLODx64 2.54 through MO2. I've used DynDOLOD extensively for Oldrim with MO1 and am switching over to SSE.

Problem I'm running into is DynDOLOD will generate about 800MB of LODs but after it completes DLC2ApocryphaWorld, it seems to stop doing anything. There's no crash, but CPU usage also drops to 0% and no further command prompt windows pop up.

Initially it was stopping on SkuldafnWorld but when I unchecked that, it would then pause on the next world.

Other notes:

• There is no log file for the world it gets stuck on
  • There is no Export file for the world it gets stuck on (Edit Scripts\Export\)
  • There are no files in the cache folder for the world it get stuck on

In the window, these are the last few lines before it stops doing work:

.../DynDOLOD_SSE_next-object.esm.fid not found
.../DynDOLOD_SSE_next-object.fid not found
Generating tree LOD for SkuldafnWorld with brightness set to 0
[skuldafnWorld] Generating LOD

Any idea what the problem is?

Edited by nanashi

Did you just randomly copy and paste a few log lines? I am confused why the message about the fid files, which should be near the start of the entire process, are that close to the message that it generates tree LOD. There would be lots of other stuff that takes several minutes between that.

It is perfectly normal not to find fid files when DynDOLOD is running the first time.

The usual reason for such issues are file read/write problems either caused by installing into UAC controlled folders, AntiVirus or MO interfering.

Make sure that nothing, game, MO or DynDOLOD is installed into Program Files x86. Do not install DynDOLOD into game or MO folders. Make sure sure UAC/anitivir or other processes does not block any file and folder access.

Make sure the destination drive is not full.

Other than that, it can be invalid tree LOD billboard textures, though in that case it should happen in the other worldspaces before, since usually SkuldafnWorld does not have unique billboards - but it still could be because of mods.

Generate LOD for the worldspace all by itself, see what happens. Uncheck tree LOD in the advanced options see what happens.

Check if there are any plugins/mods modifying the worldspace. Check all plugins for errors with xEdit and fix them as possible.

Edited by sheson

Did you just randomly copy and paste a few log lines? I am confused why the message about the fid files, which should be near the start of the entire process, are that close to the message that it generates tree LOD. There would be lots of other stuff that takes several minutes between that.

It is perfectly normal not to find fid files when DynDOLOD is running the first time.

Those are the last 4 lines after DynDOLOD stops doing anything. After running one world to completion, I guess those files were generated so they now exist. But it pauses at the same place. Below is a screenshot.

OPgnOOa.jpg

The usual reason for such issues are file read/write problems either caused by installing into UAC controlled folders, AntiVirus or MO interfering.

Make sure that nothing, game, MO or DynDOLOD is installed into Program Files x86. Do not install DynDOLOD into game or MO folders. Make sure sure UAC/anitivir or other processes does not block any file and folder access.

Make sure the destination drive is not full.

Plenty of space on the drive. Is file access a possibility here? It generates about 800MB of meshes and textures before pausing. I can also get it to run to completion on single worlds as described below.

Other than that, it can be invalid tree LOD billboard textures, though in that case it should happen in the other worldspaces before, since usually SkuldafnWorld does not have unique billboards - but it still could be because of mods.

Generate LOD for the worldspace all by itself, see what happens. Uncheck tree LOD in the advanced options see what happens.

The issue isn't SkuldafnWorld itself since if I uncheck that world, the next world after DLC2ApocryphaWorld then pauses.

I tested with just running it on SkuldafnWorld and it runs to completion just fine. I get the usual "Save and Exit" option I expect.

I'll have to run more combinations to see if I can narrow down which worlds when selected cause the process to pause.

Check if there are any plugins/mods modifying the worldspace. Check all plugins for errors with xEdit and fix them as possible.

I checked all plugins excluding the base esm files and USSEP but the only errors I got were things like NPC tint layers, quests, and spell effects.

When checking for errors on USSEP 4.1.5a, I get these errors:

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [05] Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
[00:05] DLC2WindhelmToSolstheim [REFR:04016FE0] (places ShipTrapdoor01 "Door" [DOOR:0002834E] in GRUP Cell Persistent Children of [CELL:00000D74] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C]) at 45,16)
[00:05]     REFR \ XNDP - Navigation Door Link \ Teleport Marker Triangle -> <Warning: Navmesh triangle not found in "[NAVM:000FC127] (in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of WindhelmDocksExterior01 [CELL:0000B4B9] (in Tamriel "Skyrim" [WRLD:0000003C] at 34,8))">
[00:08] [REFR:0001A700] (places WRDragonDoor01 "Door" [DOOR:000252C7] in GRUP Cell Persistent Children of [CELL:0001A270] (in WhiterunWorld "Whiterun" [WRLD:0001A26F]) at 5,-1)
[00:08]     REFR \ XNDP - Navigation Door Link \ Teleport Marker Triangle -> <Warning: Navmesh triangle not found in "[NAVM:00041B96] (in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of WhiterunWindDistrict02 [CELL:0001A27B] (in WhiterunWorld "Whiterun" [WRLD:0001A26F] at 5,-1))">
[00:24] All Done!

I'll have to run more combinations to see if I can narrow down which worlds when selected cause the process to pause.

I got really confusing results as I tested different combinations. First I ran the following combinations:

1) Selected all Skyrim world spaces: Generated to completion without issue.

2) Selected all Skyrim + Dawnguard world spaces: Generated to completion without issue.

3) Selected all Skyrim + Dragonborn world spaces: Generated to completion without issue.

At this point, I was confused since I expected to run into an issue with either #2 or #3, since those two combinations cover all the world spaces.

To be thorough, I tested a few more combinations:

4) Selected all: Stops generating as in originally described issue (sanity check test to ensure the issue was still present)

5) All Skyrim + All DG + DLC2ApocryphaWorld: No issue

6) All Skyrim + All DG + DLC2SolstheimWorld: Stops generating as in originally described issue.

#6 suggests the issue is related to DLC2SolstheimWorld, but #3 from earlier (which also had DLC2SolstheimWOrld) ran fine so maybe there is some weird interaction somewhere (like with the DG world spaces). I ran two more combinations to explore it:

7) DLC2SolstheimWorld + SkuldafnWorld: No issue.

8) All Dawnguard + DLC2SolstheimWorld: No issue.

Then I had a really strange idea for a test... So far when I select all, I was using right click --> select all. So I tried one more set of tests with surprising results.

9) Selected all manually (instead of right click): No issue!

10) Right click => Select all, then toggled DLC2SolstheimWorld off/on: Issue back! (toggled just to check if that did anything)

11) Right click => Select all, then toggled SkuldafnWorld, Sovngarde, Tamriel, off/on: Issue still back (toggled other options for thoroughness)

This result was really weird. However, if that was really the problem I would've expected other people to have run into this as well.

Might do a few more "right click tests", like trying it without Enhanced Landscapes and also updating USSEP to 4.1.6.

Edited by nanashi

Then I had a really strange idea for a test... So far when I select all, I was using right click --> select all. So I tried one more set of tests with surprising results.

9) Selected all manually (instead of right click): No issue!

10) Right click => Select all, then toggled DLC2SolstheimWorld off/on: Issue back! (toggled just to check if that did anything)

11) Right click => Select all, then toggled SkuldafnWorld, Sovngarde, Tamriel, off/on: Issue still back (toggled other options for thoroughness)

This result was really weird. However, if that was really the problem I would've expected other people to have run into this as well.

Can't edit my post anymore, so have to do a follow-on post.

I re-tested #9 and now that is giving an issue as well. Not sure if the initial test of #9 I accidentally missed one world space or if it was something else...

Might do a few more "right click tests", like trying it without Enhanced Landscapes and also updating USSEP to 4.1.6.

Tested without Enhanced Landscapes and it worked fine. That mod might be the issue, but not sure why.

Edited by nanashi

Tested without Enhanced Landscapes and it worked fine. That mod might be the issue, but not sure why.

Not sure why I can't edit the posts... Anyway, if I use Enhanced Landscapes but uncheck "Generate Tree LODs" it works. Not sure if that narrows down the issue.

Man, that's great it started working, and at the same time sucks. Why? Because I'm having this exact same issue and done a bajillion (read hours) of trouble shooting/all the freaking suggested ways to make this work to no avail.

It's identical. It stops at the Skuldafyn Generating LODs. Same deal. 0% CPU usage. Nothing else running. Nothing happening. I have all the billboards I need. I've literally uninstalled mods like Simply Bigger Trees hoping maybe it was just a bad mod or something (since that was LITERALLY the only mod that said anything about including its own LOD's, ofc, I did download their billboards and no that didn't do anything).

So high settings, medium settings, low settings, fast on, fast off, nothing matters. Ofc, I can untick Skuldafyn and it does what it has done to every other person who's run into this bug, it goes to the next world and freezes (read: goes to 0% CPU for over a half an hour before I generally give up) there instead.

I'm at my wits end. Google has been useless for this, because every time I find someone else with the problem, somehow, magically, theirs just suddenly starts working! Well that's garbage because there's no "fix" then.

I have the most recent version of everything. I have everything said in every tutorial. I've tried right clicking select all as well as manually clicking every one of them.

Is it because I'm using Vortex? Is that the problem? Because of the way it hardlinks things? Because when I used to use MO for classic Skyrim, I never had any issues with DynDoLod and now I can't get it to work at all.

Incredibly frustrating, because I know how nice it is when it's active. I'm just going to go cry in a corner.

Man, that's great it started working, and at the same time sucks. Why? Because I'm having this exact same issue and done a bajillion (read hours) of trouble shooting/all the freaking suggested ways to make this work to no avail.

It's identical. It stops at the Skuldafyn Generating LODs. Same deal. 0% CPU usage. Nothing else running. Nothing happening. I have all the billboards I need. I've literally uninstalled mods like Simply Bigger Trees hoping maybe it was just a bad mod or something (since that was LITERALLY the only mod that said anything about including its own LOD's, ofc, I did download their billboards and no that didn't do anything).

So high settings, medium settings, low settings, fast on, fast off, nothing matters. Ofc, I can untick Skuldafyn and it does what it has done to every other person who's run into this bug, it goes to the next world and freezes (read: goes to 0% CPU for over a half an hour before I generally give up) there instead.

I'm at my wits end. Google has been useless for this, because every time I find someone else with the problem, somehow, magically, theirs just suddenly starts working! Well that's garbage because there's no "fix" then.

I have the most recent version of everything. I have everything said in every tutorial. I've tried right clicking select all as well as manually clicking every one of them.

Is it because I'm using Vortex? Is that the problem? Because of the way it hardlinks things? Because when I used to use MO for classic Skyrim, I never had any issues with DynDoLod and now I can't get it to work at all.

Incredibly frustrating, because I know how nice it is when it's active. I'm just going to go cry in a corner.

I actually started having problems with it at some point again. But the problem went away when I started using the High setting instead of Medium.

I still have no idea why, and unfortunately that fix didn't work for you either.

I'm having the same issue. DynDOLOD stops generating on SkuldafnWorld and freezes up. I have to force it closed. I believe I have generate the trees individually for each worldspace and put it all together myself, but when ran in a batch, DynDOLOD freezes up every time.

EDIT:

Can confirm the High setting has no issues.

Typically the 2D tree LOD generation is independent from low, medium, high mesh rule settings for object LOD generation.

See what happens if you only generate tree LOD.

Check if it hangs without using MO

Anytime I ran things as a batch this happened. When ran individually, it was fine. I changed some tree mods and need to run again, so I will do some more testing today to see if I can narrow it down to a specific set of options. So far I've only tried running on Medium and High. High had no issues running as a full batch. Medium however, just seems like it's hanging in a process because it just sits there. I've left it for an hour with the time just running in the title bar without it doing anything at all. The hard part is, when this happens I have to force close DynDOLOD via Task Manager, thus, it's not writing to the logs....well, I didn't think to see if it's writing to the bug report log or not (I'll check that). But there has been no information to go off of to figure this out other than running the program over and over again.

Take note if a plugin changes anything in the worldspace and the tree mods/billboards being used. This is the vanilla list:

TreePineForestSnow01 [TREE:0005C072] #8 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnow01_0005c072.dds
TreePineForestSnow02 [TREE:0005C071] #6 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnow02_0005c071.dds
TreePineForestSnow03 [TREE:0005C070] #3 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnow03_0005c070.dds
TreePineForestSnow04 [TREE:0005C06F] #0 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnow04_0005c06f.dds
TreePineForestSnow05 [TREE:0005C06E] #1 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnow05_0005c06e.dds
TreePineForestSnowL02 [TREE:0005D2DA] #9 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnowl02_0005d2da.dds
TreePineForestSnowL03 [TREE:0005D2D9] #7 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnowl03_0005d2d9.dds
TreePineForestSnowL04 [TREE:0005D2D8] #5 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnowl04_0005d2d8.dds
TreePineForestSnowL05 [TREE:0005D2D7] #2 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnowl05_0005d2d7.dds
TreePineForestSnowL05 [TREE:0005D2D7] #4 using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestsnowl05_0005d2d7.dds

The follow list is a series of runs and the results. In each run the Advanced menu was used, all worlds were selected, and Medium was chosen:

• DynDOLOD = works.
  • Static LOD = works.
  • Texture Atlas = works.
  • Tree LOD =  works.

All the individual settings work fine on their own.

• DynDOLOD + Candles = works.
    DynDOLOD + Candles + Glow = works.
  • Tree LOD + Texture Atlas = works.
  • Tree LOD + Texture Atlas + Static LOD = freeze (froze on generating Tree LOD for DLC01FalmerValley, didn't notice any issues while watching the log)
  • Tree LOD + Texture Atlas + Static LOD (2nd run to re-test freeze) = worked

All the above combinations worked. I did get a freeze once, but a 2nd run with the same settings worked fine so I chopped this up to a fluke.

• Tree LOD + Texture Atlas + Static LOD + DynDOLOD = freeze
  • Tree LOD + Texture Atlas + Static LOD + DynDOLOD (using High instead of Medium) = works.

This particular combination results in a freeze at the start of generating Tree LOD for SkuldafnWorld every time. The way it just halts here seems like a memory issue, as if it just runs out of memory to use. However, I have plenty of hard drive space and about 10GBs of RAM is can eat up so that can't be it. Windows never reports it as hung either. It just like it just sits there halted or stuck in a loop that isn't outputting any messages. I also checked the bug reports file and nothing is being written there either. During the freeze, Resource Monitor sees it's not using any of the CPU (0%) and about 1.5GBs of memory (unchanging so it's not doing anything).

Are there any plugins changing the world space?

If you do not select the problematic worldspace, does it hand on the next one?

Does only using vanilla trees and vanilla billboards make a difference?

Check if it hangs with latest MO 2.2 alpha or without using MO

Edited by sheson