Photo

Added new mod, regenerated LOD, Fast Travel crash.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

I decided to add a few of Arthmoor's settlement mods but I've had an issue with a crash after regenerating LOD.

I left the existing files in place and let DynDOLOD update them.  Overwrote the files in my Skyrim folder with the updated ones and then loaded a save from an interior cell.  Everything seems ok until I fast travel to one of the newly modded locations (Shors Stone for example) and got an immediate drop to desktop. 

Reverting back to the old DynDOLOD files and visiting the locations is absolutely fine. 

Is there any specific procedure when regenerating LOD?  I've read that a clean save is needed for a version update but not a regeneration.

#2 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

DynDOLOD.exe supports rescanning of the load order and worlds for newly added mods and adding their new objects next to the existing ones into DynDOLOD plugins and regenerating static object LOD as well. Only new objects are added to DynDOLOD plugins and none of the existing ones are changed. New or changed mesh rules will apply to all old and new static object LOD generated by LODGen.exe, but only to new dynamic objects. Existing dynamic objects will stay untouched. Static object and tree LOD is always generated from scratch based on current settings and rules.

There is no need to generate LOD just because a new mod was added. New objects may be missing LOD, but that is only a visual problem. Typically it should be enough to start DynDOLOD.exe with the current DynDOLOD plugins and generate (in this case update) LOD for the worldspace(s) the new mod changes. Then merge (overwrite) the files from the output path with existing files from the former generation. A clean save game cycle is not needed, however use an interior save between updates. Check the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM for the message 'No DynDOLOD for this world' to be sure to not be in a world with any DynDOLOD data.

If still not successful, check if a generation from scratch works.

Edited by sheson, 18 December 2018 - 03:07 AM.

#3 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

Should a completely new generation from scratch be treated any differently to an updated generation?  Clean save?

#4 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

Should a completely new generation from scratch be treated any differently to an updated generation?  Clean save?

Yes that requires a clean save.

#5 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

I did a fresh generation + clean save and the fast travel issue seems to be completely fixed but I have experienced a couple of random freezes while walking around.  These are the kind of crashes where the game freezes but the music keeps playing.  I've spent a lot of time trying but I can't repeat one of these crashes.

The only other plugin I suspect could cause such an issue would be the TVDT culling data mod.  I'm going to disable this for now and see how things go but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what could be causing the freezes.

Thanks!

Edited by WDeranged, 01 January 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#6 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:46 AM

You never mentioned with version of Skyrim you are using. In case of Skyrim, make sure all the typical optimizations have been made, like INI settings, ENBoost, memory patch etc.

It is never a good idea to remove TVDT culling data from all cells regardless if there are visual issues or not. It will cause severe FPS drops depending on which direction the camera is looking.

Test if there is any difference if using DynDOLOD DLL instead of PapyrusUtil.

#7 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Sheson.  Running a lightly modded SE so I don't know of any essential optimisations that I'd need to use.  I'll give the DLL a try.

#8 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

Since using the DLL (no freezes yet) I've suddenly started getting very bright light sources, which I assume are the LOD lights remaining loaded.  Any idea what's happening here?

I can quit and reload to fix the issue but after a few fast travels they always come back.

*edit*  Ahh, hang on.  RTFM moment.  I didn't properly follow the procedure for changing between the DLL and PapyrusUtil.

Edited by WDeranged, 02 January 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#9 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:17 AM

Good you caught that :)  Let us know if there is any change for the other problems.

#10 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

I noticed I was still getting a couple of the stuck lights and also a strange glitch where LOD water is significantly darker. 

After checking my Dyndolod.log I noticed these entries.  I'm pretty sure I've properly followed the procedure for migrating to DynDOLOD.DLL. 

Anything to worry about here?

Edited by WDeranged, 03 January 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#11 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:00 AM

LOD water is part of terrain LOD and this not touched by DynDOLOD.

Test with a new game, like use coc whiterun from main menu console.

#12 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:06 AM

LOD water is part of terrain LOD and this not touched by DynDOLOD.

Test with a new game, like use coc whiterun from main menu console.

I did wonder if the water was a vanilla glitch.  I was also seeing the vanilla whiterun LOD glitch a lot during that session.  Are those empty array messages in the log file anything to worry about?

Edited by WDeranged, 04 January 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#13 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

I did wonder if the water was a vanilla glitch.  I was also seeing the vanilla whiterun LOD glitch a lot during that session.  Are those empty array messages in the log file anything to worry about?

Yes. They point to a messed clean save update or data mismatch between plugins and txt files, hence the suggestion to test with a new game.

BTW: It is best to not install anything at all (game, tools like DynDOLOD etc.) into C:\Program Files (x86) to avoid problems with UAC, antvir etc.

Edited by sheson, 04 January 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#14 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

I started a new game via 'coc whiterun' did a bit of fast travelling between cities and I'm getting a similar list of errors in the log.  I'm almost certain I migrated correctly and also regenerated lod from scratch but I'll try again just to be sure.

#15 WDeranged

WDeranged

Prisoner

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

I'm still getting those errors on a new game.  I've triple checked that my installation is exactly as it would be had I originally started with DynDOLOD.dll.  I've regenerated from scratch after reinstalling DynDOLOD + Resources just to make sure nothing is out of place.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users