STEP 3.0 Development Progress - January 2019

TechAngel85

I want to set something straight here. Most of you seem to be only referring to the Guides. The v3.0 Guides are basically done and have been for some time. I keep going back to update them from time to time due to the length of time for the website release. STEP 3.0 is more than just those Guides, though. It's the entire website building project and that is what is taking the expended amount of time, not the Guides. The website is being built from the ground up...remember, it took Nexus a long time to get their new site up too and they had someone working on it full-time! Websites take time. Websites being nearly entirely built by a single individual and only in their spare time takes even longer. That is where we're at. If we had the resources to pay for someone to work on the site full-time, it would have been out a year ago. We run on donations and donations only keep the site operating on a server.

• STEP v3.0 Guilds = complete
  • Porting content from wiki to new website = ~60% complete (guessing, it could be more than that). Really only one person working on this too as most of our staff seems to be taking a break or are dealing with life, like most of us.
  • Website Development = several months out assuming that work can continue on a steady pace (free time is unpredictable)

Finally, I can say that we're not going anywhere. There is no mentality of "we built it for us, use it as it is" or anything of the sort. What we do is for the community. There is, however, only about a crew of 3 working on individual pieces of the process. Mator is pretty much strictly development. Z is over some development and most of the themeing (CSS, forums, HTML, etc.). I am strictly focused on content, testing, and feedback. If we had more crew working, it would go much quicker, but it's up to the staff how they spend their free time. Of these, development is slowest because it takes the most time. It would be great to have another developer on board to help Mator out, but no one has stepped up that has been able to really dive into it. If there is someone with RoR experience, they are welcomed to contact us.

I hear the concerns being brought up and there has been information that we've been holding back to help manage expectations. I will discuss with Z about providing more of this information.

I greatly appreciate the responses by the way. Thank you. I can absolutely understand how long web development can be (I actually took this into account before writing my posts above). I run my own website and I use wordpress, but even starting with a fully complete cms can still be pretty time consuming especially if you need it to do something specific that isn't already available through a plugin or extension. I am in no way good enough to help on such a grand scale project such as this, I would if I could, but I know next to nothing about ruby on rails. Plus I have my own work to do, running my site, social media, art sites, and releasing content regularly on my patreon. I hardly even have time to play games these days, besides on the weekend.

As for Nexus, I don't think this is comparable because at least Nexus still allowed mods to be placed on their site while they worked on the new design in the background. So nothing was really halted. The issue here is, the 3.0 guide isn't released and is halted till the site is done. And the only guide that is available is the older one of which not many people are going to be using because it's outdated and on the older version of Skyrim.

As I said, the part I don't understand is why don't you just release the 3.0 guide as it is? And then when the site is complete re-release it? I am sure plenty of people, myself included would be pretty happy just to have the guide viewable even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles you are currently working on. On the other hand, maybe there is a good reason why you don't release it? Do you feel the 3.0 guide itself relies heavily on the new site mechanics and wouldn't translate well on the older wiki?

Anyway, again, thanks for the replies, and I am sorry for sort of starting this. It's just become increasingly frustrating and really felt something needed to be said because I figured I couldn't be the only one frustrated with this. I have had the itch to play Skyrim for quite a while and just been waiting and waiting for this guide to finally release. I purposely have been putting Skyrim on hold because I figured this would be coming out soon with how you all have been talking. Course I should have known better. There is a reason for the "Coming Soonâ„¢" meme, as it often means ... not anywhere close to coming soon lol.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After speaking with TechAngel at some length, he is willing to support duplicate creation of the SE guide as a new wiki guide on the existing site (Skyrim 3.0 in part). Tech is our main man with respect to the SE modding these days. I am more on the technical side of supporting the tools needed on the current and new sites for him to do so.

Tech tells me that he should be able to crank out something within a matter of weeks or sooner. I'll let him speak to the details.

As far as the new site in relation to the guide: It has taken us so long because we originally wanted to avoid supporting SE on the current site, because it involves a lot of work on this site (creating SE mod pages, forum threads, the guide itself, etc.). This work keeps us away from the work needed to bring up the new website and guide-building tool set. He is willing to take this on as an independent project in light of the community waiting so long, so many thanks to Tech for committing to that in response to recent feedback.

In the past two years, we have also situated STEP as a nonprofit, so this sets us up for the long haul. We'll provide details on that as part of our more complete Step 3.0 "go-live". We do hope everyone realizes that we have already basically rebuilt our Step 2.0 servers from the ground up in the past two years as well, due to the Oct 2018 server fault. We also changed our hosting platform and hardware support. Infrastructure is much more resilient as a result.

Cheers, and thanks for hanging in there.

As Z mentioned above, I'm going to start work on getting the STEP SE Core Guide up on the wiki. This work will likely take a week or two, depending on how much time I can spend on it, and because it'll all have to be built. There is some wiki development that has to happen to support SE. Z is getting that done and seems to be nearly complete. Next I'll have to create all the forum topics and mod pages and fill those page with the required info. After that, I can start to work on putting the Guide, itself, together. Stay tuned...

As Z mentioned above, I'm going to start work on getting the STEP SE Core Guide up on the wiki. This work will likely take a week or two, depending on how much time I can spend on it, and because it'll all have to be built. There is some wiki development that has to happen to support SE. Z is getting that done and seems to be nearly complete. Next I'll have to create all the forum topics and mod pages and fill those page with the required info. After that, I can start to work on putting the Guide, itself, together. Stay tuned...

That's very good to hear. Looking forward to it, and thank you! Will be super happy to be able to use STEP once again.

Releasing a public beta of 3.0 would be very nice and you all can go back and take your time on website for the full launch. Even something quick and dirty like Tech's earlier SE Guide would be fine. Modding Skyrim has gotten very complicated over the last years with mod lists being much larger and I find it difficult to have the patience to do the dance on my own like I used too. I've grown to count on and rely on the great STEP guides as a foundation for my modding and my builds have always been the most stable because of STEP. It's been hard doing without a heavily modded Skyrim the last couple years. If this is done, thank you!

I feel releasing the guide ASAP is beneficial, as Skyrim itself is nearing 10 years old and player count and interest is probably dropping off. The view players, the fewer people using the guide, the fewer donations, and so on.... I loved building and playing the STEP LE guide and have been waiting patiently for the SE guide. I made a little donation if it'll help.  ^_^

Thank you for your donation! They always help!

We've been working through some issues on the wiki as they come up. Thankfully since most of the structure is in place, it's been fairly straightforward to incorporate SE on the back end. I have everything set up as it needs to be now. I still have to complete adding the mod pages and forum topics for each of the mods. Then I'll go back through and set up the Guide again on my end to ensure all the instructions are there. After that, I still have to build out a couple sections at the end of the Guide and recreate the Patches. Lots to do, but it's going smoothly.

Excited to get my hands on the 3.0 beta. My thanks to all the staff for their work towards this goal, exp TechAngel85 who's been doing extra work every day this past week to get the 3.0 beta guide up on the current site for people like me who are too impatient to wait for the website overhaul. <3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hail!
Sorry, but i may just be lost but.
Wasn't the Step 3.0.0 would be the last Skyrim LE guide, and then everything going foward would be SSE
Because, the guide right now, at the Wiki front page (https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:3.0.0)  seems to be the SE one.

Have i just lost my mind and got a little crazy and STEP 2.10.10 was going to be the last Skyrim LE guide? 
Sorry if it's been answeard before, just couldn't find it >_> May just be a potato

Archived