Major FPS drop/lock when looking at the center of any major city

AerowynX

Question

Playing SkyrimVR and have yet to find a solution for this.. Basically if I use Dyndolod everywhere is fine except when facing the center of any of the 5 major holds.. basically if I teleport to (City)Origin location and look towards the center my FPS drops to 30 fps and locks there.. i look away in another direction and it's perfectly fine back up to 90. Without Dyndolod it's perfectly fine. I also tried the mod that disables outside LODs from Whiterun,Riften and Solitude and that also resolves the issue for those cities. 

The other strange thing is when i'm watching the oculus performance graph it says I have 40% extra headroom yet my FPS caps at 30 when this happens.. it obviously isn't any sort of Vsync since it only caps the fps when looking dead center of the city.. 

honestly the most bizarre issue I have ever had.. I tried with all my landscape/city overhauls/mods like skyrim sewers disable but still happpens with Dyndolod active.. figured i'd ask see if anyone has run into anything similar

15 answers to this question

Is this with Open Cities?

Can you test what happens if just disable the meshes (the static object/tree LOD) from output?

What happens if you just disable dynamic LOD from MCM?

no i don't use open cities.. will try the others and let you know

Could this be the Tree LOD Alpha Update Caching issue that SSE Engine Fixes has a patch for?

sse engine fixes has no VR version currently just SSE Fixes

The tree LOD files in Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\* are not true meshes though, they are rather a type of simple data files.

If they are the problem, then the issue is most likely the bug with many plugins causing FPS drops that is fixed by SSE Fixes/Engine Fixes.

Try lowering the tree LOD distance.

Install less billboards, so some groups of trees simply do not have LOD (like the vanilla game) so there is less LOD trees for the engine to deal with.

You could try resizing Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds to make it smaller, but I doubt that is going to help much.

Crazy idea would be to merge as many plugins as possible to reduce their number.

As an alternative to 2D tree LOD, use tree LOD in object LOD. You can set Billboards for every LOD level. Then it is just mostly like the 2D tree LOD, but with out that bug.

Not much else I can think of without a patch for VR and that bug.

i do use sse fixes which has the plugin fix.. ill try removing the 3d landscapes billboards and run it again and see.. do you have any thoughts as to why it only specifically happens in the major holds and only directly looking into the center of the town.. just so bizarre to me why it does that.. i can walk around the outskirts of whiterun with LODs all around and no problem but standing on the entry bridge thing in whiterun looking towards the center it locks my FPS just so strange

so oddly it was still happening after trees done in object LOD.. but then disabled Dyndolod completely and it now is still happening.. so guess it isn't just related to dyndolod but i have no idea why it went away when testing before with just disabling the tree meshes.. so now just gotta do the good old disable everything and narrow it down i guess.. 

Hey there, I know I'm super late to this, but I recently had and fixed a problem very similar to this. All major cities has a small point (fruit/veggie cart in Whiterun, etc.) where my CPU frametime would freak out, dropping 30-40 fps when looking at that specific spot. I even reduced DynDOLOD to the lowest settings and still experienced it. Without DynDOLOD, there was no drop at all. I spent a few hours toggling texture mods and LODs, and ultimately found that the mod "HD LODs Textures SE" was the culprit. It may simply be a case of my computer's inability to use those LODs in conjunction with DynDOLOD, but now its all up and working with a slate of 2k textures, LODs, and DynDOLOD, simply because I removed that one mod.

So to anyone with an issue like this - work through your mod list methodically. Try DynDOLOD on its own, without extra LODs, textures, etc. - then add them back in a few at a time. It's time consuming, but goodness gracious does this game improve with larger trees and DynDOLOD.