Multiple Instances for 1 Game?

Typicalaussie01

Question

Just wondering, before i go and mess up all my files, whether it is possible to hold multiple instances of the same game. Say rather than having different profiles where I'd have to go through my installed mods and untick the boxes for the mods i have, i could have a completely different folder and have the mods i want for that version of the game without interfering with mods i have installed on a different version. Allowing me to have two versions of the same game with different mods to launch with without having those corresponding and unwanted mods for that version appearing in my installed mods folder.

2 answers to this question

You can't have more than one instance of the game (Fallout or Skyrim). but you can have multiple instances of Mod Organizer. If you are using Mod Organizer 1.x or Mod Organizer 2.x in portable mode, you can simply extract ModOrganizer*.zip or ModOrganizer*.7z from Nexus to whichever folder(s) you want and run any of these instances with their own profiles. I have mine setup something like this:

C:\Games\FalloutNV\MO-FL (for the Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide)

C:\Games\FalloutNV\MO-FL-Custom (for a custom version of the Fear and Loathing guide)

C:\Games\Fallout3\MO-CPD (for the Clear and Present Danger guide)

C:\Games\Fallout3\MO-CPD-Custom (for a custom version of the Clear and Present Danger guide)

C:\Games\SkyrimLE\MO-STEP-210 (for the STEP 2.10 guide)

and so on

If you are running Mod Organizer 2 in instance mode, you can click the first button at the top left and select or create a new instance and you can have as many instances for as many games as you want. The disadvantage with Mod Organizer 2 in instance mode is that not all tools support it (notably Merge Plugins) and all your mods are installed in C:\[user]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer. I don't have sufficient free space on the C: drive to use instance mode so I've never used Mod Organizer in instance mode.

Well Merge Plugins is now out of support (you should use zMerge instead) so I think we can safely say that using a different instance is the best and most correct way to handle the problem, especially considering that in portable mode you will have to go through all your install to update MO2 instead of just updating it in one and getting the changes everywhere.