DynDOLOD Beta for Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Enderal SE 2.98

sheson

DynDOLOD does not change how LOD works.

The object LOD textures which are used are defined in the LOD models of the farmhouses. These object LOD textures are updated by TexGen from the currently installed full textures. If LOD textures seem different,  then a mod is changing them. farmhouselod01snow or farmhousesnowlod01 are not used by the vanilla game. They are used by specific farmhouse replacer mods. They do not change the wall textures though.

The game defines to apply the snow LOD shader onto those LOD models. The snow LOD shaders themselves have nothing to do with LOD generation in any way and are not changed by DynDOLOD.

If the snow LOD shaders behave differently, then a plugin or an INI setting is changing them.

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to figure out what else could mess with the lod.

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to figure out what else could mess with the lod.

In case it is not the snow LOD shader, you will find the list of texture used on the atlas in DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\DynDOLOD_SSE_tamriel_textures_used.txt

Or you can also check the DynDOLOD_SSE_atlas_map_tamriel.txt in the same folder. The first column is the texture. The next two numbers its resolution and the 3rd and 4th number its position on the atlas in pixel.

With the path/filename you should be able to find the mod that supplies the texture via MOs data tab in the right window.

Edited by sheson

Hi, new here, I was trying to configure DynDOLOD for the first time but came across this problem where TexGen could not figure out the correct folder for the .ini files, this is the log:

[00:00:00.075] TexGen based on xEdit x64 (9A03A046) starting session 2019-08-06 13:04:43
[00:00:00.079] Using Skyrim Data Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\
[00:00:00.081] Using Backup Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\TES5Edit Backups\
[00:00:00.084] Using Scripts Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\
[00:00:00.087] Using Cache Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\
[00:00:00.091] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\    \AppData\Local\Temp\TES5Edit\
[00:00:00.095] Using ini: C:\Users\    \Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini
[00:00:00.099] Fatal: Could not find ini

\    \ was used just for safety, just in case. Anyways I have tried launching the game through the launcher by it still goes to the Skyrim folder that does not exist intend of the Skyrim Special Edition folder. Anyway to get the to work or anyway to change the file path to go to the Special Edition folder manually? Thanks.  

In case it is not the snow LOD shader, you will find the list of texture used on the atlas in DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\DynDOLOD_SSE_tamriel_textures_used.txt

Or you can also check the DynDOLOD_SSE_atlas_map_tamriel.txt in the same folder. The first column is the texture. The next two numbers its resolution and the 3rd and 4th number its position on the atlas in pixel.

With the path/filename you should be able to find the mod that supplies the texture via MOs data tab in the right window.

Checked the DynDOLOD_SSE_tamriel_textures_used.txt here is what it contains: https://pastebin.com/6UxREnsE . I cant find snow farmhouse textures in this list, is this to be expected or did something fail?

Hi, new here, I was trying to configure DynDOLOD for the first time but came across this problem where TexGen could not figure out the correct folder for the .ini files, this is the log:

[00:00:00.075] TexGen based on xEdit x64 (9A03A046) starting session 2019-08-06 13:04:43
[00:00:00.079] Using Skyrim Data Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\
[00:00:00.081] Using Backup Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\TES5Edit Backups\
[00:00:00.084] Using Scripts Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\
[00:00:00.087] Using Cache Path: C:\Users\    \Desktop\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\
[00:00:00.091] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\    \AppData\Local\Temp\TES5Edit\
[00:00:00.095] Using ini: C:\Users\    \Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini
[00:00:00.099] Fatal: Could not find ini

\    \ was used just for safety, just in case. Anyways I have tried launching the game through the launcher by it still goes to the Skyrim folder that does not exist intend of the Skyrim Special Edition folder. Anyway to get the to work or anyway to change the file path to go to the Special Edition folder manually? Thanks.  

Add the -sse command line argument to start the tools in Skyrim Speciial Edition as explained in the included manuals, like DynDOLOD_QuickStart.html or docs/DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html

Checked the DynDOLOD_SSE_tamriel_textures_used.txt here is what it contains: https://pastebin.com/6UxREnsE . I cant find snow farmhouse textures in this list, is this to be expected or did something fail?

This is somewhat expected because it is only used by a specific mod (I am actually not sure anymore which it was, it was from Skyrim times)

You should check the usual farmhouselod01.dds. Maybe a mod overwrites it. If it is the one from TexGen, then you need to check which mod changes the full texture.

The farmhouselod01.dds is made of these textures:

textures\architecture\farmhouse\farmhouse01.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\thatch03.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\woodwall01.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\thatch02.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\stonewall01.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\roof01.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\woodpost02.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\woodwalkway01.dds

If they look fine you need to re-run TexGen and either generate LOD again or just update the object LOD texture atlas as explained in the TexGen manual

Maybe the third time is the charm...

Hello Sheson,

I'm getting an error about "reachclifftree01_000b8a76.dds: Not a valid DDS texture." Attached are my bug report and log files.

I'm using Open Cities Skyrim, Immersive Citizens, Immersive College of Winterhold, and Realistic Water 2. I've disabled OCS and the various patches the other mods have for it before running TexGen, which ran just fine. I then tried running DynDOLOD and selecting everything but generate DynDOLOD. I'm using the 2.69 versions of both DynDOLOD and the resources (I've used your mod in LE, so I'm familiar with how to use it...mostly). I'm also using vanilla LOD tree resources; I can get you a link if the one I'm using is the wrong one.

Another issue I ran into on a previous playthrough was a consistent CTD just east of the upper exit of Bleakfalls Barrow between it and Agnes' house. I can't give you an exact cell reference because I deleted that playthrough due to another mod causing an issue. I'll try to take a screenshot near where it happens if that will help. Thanks.

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt

bugreport.txt

Maybe the third time is the charm...

Hello Sheson,

I'm getting an error about "reachclifftree01_000b8a76.dds: Not a valid DDS texture." Attached are my bug report and log files.

I'm using Open Cities Skyrim, Immersive Citizens, Immersive College of Winterhold, and Realistic Water 2. I've disabled OCS and the various patches the other mods have for it before running TexGen, which ran just fine. I then tried running DynDOLOD and selecting everything but generate DynDOLOD. I'm using the 2.69 versions of both DynDOLOD and the resources (I've used your mod in LE, so I'm familiar with how to use it...mostly). I'm also using vanilla LOD tree resources; I can get you a link if the one I'm using is the wrong one.

Another issue I ran into on a previous playthrough was a consistent CTD just east of the upper exit of Bleakfalls Barrow between it and Agnes' house. I can't give you an exact cell reference because I deleted that playthrough due to another mod causing an issue. I'll try to take a screenshot near where it happens if that will help. Thanks.

FAQ: DynDOLOD.exe: Error [preparing|creating] textures for atlas: Error loading textures\*.dds: Not a valid DDS texture 

A: The mentioned texture is corrupted and needs to be fixed or replaced. This sometimes seems to happen with specific MO2 versions under Windows 10, the exact cause is currently unknown. 

A: Look up the texture path in MOs right window Data tab to find out which mod supplies it. Reinstall the textures from the mod, DynDOLOD Resources or TexGen output, whichever it is. 
  • +1 1

RTFM, eh?  :redface:

Anyway, it looks like that particular texture is from Vanilla Skyrim LOD Billboards if anybody else asks about it. I'll try re-installing it to see if the error goes away; otherwise I'll try a different LOD texture mod.

I can't edit my post, but I wanted to say that re-installing the Vanilla LOD Billboards mod did the trick. Thanks again, Sheson. You're still not getting my firstborn because I need him for child labor tax reasons, but you do have my thanks.  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great mod but no mod should have such a long and painstaking install process as DynDOLOD does. Most mods are a one click install while this is a 40 minute youtube video along with countless "rEaD tHe DoCuMeNtAtIoN" replies for users who have genuine, Google search questions (ex. Load order? Should I keep old LODs installed?) which instead of streamlining your inbox as mod authors and thinking users are going to have answers to all their questions, now you're going to get more comments asking questions because nobody is going to read a novel when they're trying to play their video game.

This whole thing can be shrunk down to install these mods -> run the generator program -> install the new mod but instead it's long, confusing, and daunting for the end user.

Thanks for the great mod but no mod should have such a long and painstaking install process as DynDOLOD does. Most mods are a one click install while this is a 40 minute youtube video along with countless "rEaD tHe DoCuMeNtAtIoN" replies for users who have genuine, Google search questions (ex. Load order? Should I keep old LODs installed?) which instead of streamlining your inbox as mod authors and thinking users are going to have answers to all their questions, now you're going to get more comments asking questions because nobody is going to read a novel when they're trying to play their video game.

This whole thing can be shrunk down to install these mods -> run the generator program -> install the new mod but instead it's long, confusing, and daunting for the end user.

A set of powerful tools are not like a mod replacing a few textures or some quests made by a content creator. The processes are as streamlined and simple as is possible/feasible which such an organically grown non profit modding project that we maintain only in our free time. We share our labor because there are people who are willing to invest their own time. Nobody is paying us enough to care about demands and entitlement from users who are not.

If you find unpacking DynDOLOD Standalone into a folder and installing DynDOLOD Resources through a mod manager is a painful process, then maybe you should wait with using these tools until you have more experience modding.

You seem to believe the included manual contains so much information just to confuse you. On the contrary, all the questions and feedback over the past 5 years went into it to clear things up and to condense all the information discussed on these forum into a constantly updated easily accessible format.

When I answer posts on these forums, they can be searched for, referenced and I can easily copy and paste the answer from the FAQ or manual, so I spend less of my free time answering the same questions over and over again. Lets face it, people ask the same questions over and over again no matter how easy they are to find online of offline. However, online posts get outdated quick, while the manual stays current and explaining something once is better than never explain it all. Because of this, my inboxes are empty.

Here is an example how I do this. From the manual:

DynDOLOD is meant for enthusiast modders [...]. Enthusiast modders can read manuals and FAQs, can post questions on a forum where they get qualified support from the creators of the tools[...]

So, a part of my qualified answer to your concerns is: read the QuickStart.html. It is the shrunk version for all 4 supported games. Complete with a 6 minute video.

The question about old LODs is answered directly and indirectly. Instructions only ever contain required steps and none of the million things that do need to be done, obviously. The instructions also say that the output needs to overwrite everything else.

Check the manual included in the DynDOLOD Standalone archive and FAQ first, then go to the Official DynDOLOD Forum to discuss and for help or feedback.

Everyone is asked to participate in the discussion, ask questions and provide feedback - invest themselves. That is the price I ask for these tools. I don't care about lazy users that think somebody else has to cater to their laziness. - for free no less.

If you don't like to use these free tools for whatever reason, use CK to generate LOD. Without reading any of the lengthy and outdated official and unofficial documentation of course since you just want to play the game. I wish you good luck getting qualified answers from the devs from their official support forum.

A set of powerful tools are not like a mod replacing a few textures or some quests made by a content creator. The processes are as streamlined and simple as is possible/feasible which such an organically grown non profit modding project that we maintain only in our free time. We share our labor because there are people who are willing to invest their own time. Nobody is paying us enough to care about demands and entitlement from users who are not.

If you find unpacking DynDOLOD Standalone into a folder and installing DynDOLOD Resources through a mod manager is a painful process, then maybe you should wait with using these tools until you have more experience modding.

You seem to believe the included manual contains so much information just to confuse you. On the contrary, all the questions and feedback over the past 5 years went into it to clear things up and to condense all the information discussed on these forum into a constantly updated easily accessible format.

When I answer posts on these forums, they can be searched for, referenced and I can easily copy and paste the answer from the FAQ or manual, so I spend less of my free time answering the same questions over and over again. Lets face it, people ask the same questions over and over again no matter how easy they are to find online of offline. However, online posts get outdated quick, while the manual stays current and explaining something once is better than never explain it all. Because of this, my inboxes are empty.

Here is an example how I do this. From the manual:

DynDOLOD is meant for enthusiast modders [...]. Enthusiast modders can read manuals and FAQs, can post questions on a forum where they get qualified support from the creators of the tools[...]

So, a part of my qualified answer to your concerns is: read the QuickStart.html. It is the shrunk version for all 4 supported games. Complete with a 6 minute video.

The question about old LODs is answered directly and indirectly. Instructions only ever contain required steps and none of the million things that do need to be done, obviously. The instructions also say that the output needs to overwrite everything else.

Check the manual included in the DynDOLOD Standalone archive and FAQ first, then go to the Official DynDOLOD Forum to discuss and for help or feedback.

Everyone is asked to participate in the discussion, ask questions and provide feedback - invest themselves. That is the price I ask for these tools. I don't care about lazy users that think somebody else has to cater to their laziness. - for free no less.

If you don't like to use these free tools for whatever reason, use CK to generate LOD. Without reading any of the lengthy and outdated official and unofficial documentation of course since you just want to play the game. I wish you good luck getting qualified answers from the devs from their official support forum.

I do like the tools, I'm just providing my opinion as a first time installer. Thanks for the work you've done over the years.