• Please log in to reply
2056 replies to this topic

#1726 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Thane

• Citizen
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

As explained before - also for xLODGen - the initial settings are sane defaults, however recommendations can not be given because every load order, hardware and personal preference is different.

Use low, medium or high wizard mode. Advanced settings are for advanced users that have read the manual so they can generate with different settings themselves in order to compare results.

On a follow up do you recommend any specific LOD ranges and multipliers for DynDoLod? I am using BethINI and usually just go with their preset "ultra" But for you personally what do you find is the ideal object lod distance and multiplier?

Also I seem to get some subtle shimmering on the whiterun stone walls around maybe at the level 4 lod? I've done a bit of reading and can't really find an expansion, some people suggest fov, AF being too high or z-fighting.   

#1727 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:02 AM

On a follow up do you recommend any specific LOD ranges and multipliers for DynDoLod? I am using BethINI and usually just go with their preset "ultra" But for you personally what do you find is the ideal object lod distance and multiplier?

Also I seem to get some subtle shimmering on the whiterun stone walls around maybe at the level 4 lod? I've done a bit of reading and can't really find an expansion, some people suggest fov, AF being too high or z-fighting.   

The distance settings depend on the load order, hardware and personal preference of the user.

Subtle shimmering sounds like aliasing or ambient occlusion.

#1728 Oliver

Oliver

Noble

• Citizen
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

I have doubling tree LODs on Solstheim (EVT).

3NaRv-4KeX8.jpgFpuUQbtOAA8.jpg

#1729 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

I have doubling tree LODs on Solstheim (EVT).

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or where the screenshots are supposed to be showing 2 trees on top of each other.

xLODGen tree LOD generation adds one tree LOD placement for each tree reference.

A tree LOD placement is 2 rectangular panes crossing in their middle. Each of the panes show the same billboard texture.

If the billboard texture is not properly centered or the trunk is not perpendicular, then the trunks on the 2 crossings pane might not align well.

Otherwise I suggest to generate tree LOD for the current load order.

Edited by sheson, 01 November 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#1730 Oliver

Oliver

Noble

• Citizen
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:41 AM

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or where the screenshots are supposed to be showing 2 trees on top of each other.

xLODGen tree LOD generation adds one tree LOD placement for each tree reference.

A tree LOD placement is 2 rectangular panes crossing in their middle. Each of the panes show the same billboard texture.

If the billboard texture is not properly centered or the trunk is not perpendicular, then the trunks on the 2 crossings pane might not align well.

Otherwise I suggest to generate tree LOD for the current load order.

I use 3D tree LODs and generate LODs for curret load order of course.

s9VUPQtYOr8.jpg

You see this? Two tree LODs from one root and two tops. Also this trees are X from two flat meshes, not hibrid 3D. TreeFullFallBack=0 resolve this.

#1731 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:27 AM

I use 3D tree LODs and generate LODs for curret load order of course.
s9VUPQtYOr8.jpg

You see this? Two tree LODs from one root and two tops. Also this trees are X from two flat meshes, not hibrid 3D. TreeFullFallBack=0 resolve this.

If you have 2 trees with each having 2 planes, then there are either 2 trees placed there or maybe traditional tree LOD is not disabled and shows on top of the billboard trees in object LOD.

Edited by sheson, 02 November 2019 - 02:28 AM.

#1732 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Thane

• Citizen
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:59 AM

Thx, I will try to play around. Is there a max value, or multiplier for the lod settings? Or a point it becomes useless? BethINI doesnt really seem to have a limit. I tried lod 4 at 75000 and it seem to have no impact on performance.

#1733 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:54 AM

Thx, I will try to play around. Is there a max value, or multiplier for the lod settings? Or a point it becomes useless? BethINI doesnt really seem to have a limit. I tried lod 4 at 75000 and it seem to have no impact on performance.

DynDOLOD does not change how LOD works or the engine works.

Read the chapter How LOD works in Skyrim.

For example, it tells you the max draw distance is about a 100 cells and that a cell is 4096 units.

Maybe also have a look at https://wiki.step-pr...SkyrimPrefs_INI or other resources that explain INI settings.

#1734 Abendaron

Abendaron

Watcher

• Citizen
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

Hey Sheson,

Sorry to bother you (again) with your fantastic tool,

I was wondering if it possible that the lod meshes of "wrhousewind01" from the DynDOLOD Resource are rotated by 180°.

I thought about that first because I did a quick generation for my Load Order to test stuff and all,

and the house added by Cutting Room Floor just outside the Whiterun entrance (XX01A429) seems to be rotated by 180° compared to the actual model.

After some investigation, I noticed that the LOD meshes in the resources (wrhousewind01_lod_0.nif, ...) are also rotated by 180° compared to the vanilla LOD meshe for this house (wrhousewind01lod_lod) and the vanilla full meshe (wrhousewind01.nif).

I know that maybe it is intentional but just in case :)

Cheers-

#1735 Oliver

Oliver

Noble

• Citizen
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

I try to found all problem trees in EVT, for example I see this in log

DLC2TreePineForestAsh01 [TREE:04017F72] meshes\dlc02\landscape\trees\treepineforestash01.nif
Billboard found, replaced tree, 3D LOD not found <treepineforestash01_05AD7632> fallback Full Model

but I found treepineforestash01_E31C92EApassthru_lod.nif in meshes\DynDOLOD\lod\trees\. Where is bug?

#1736 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

I try to found all problem trees in EVT, for example I see this in log

DLC2TreePineForestAsh01 [TREE:04017F72] meshes\dlc02\landscape\trees\treepineforestash01.nif
Billboard found, replaced tree, 3D LOD not found <treepineforestash01_05AD7632> fallback Full Model
but I found treepineforestash01_E31C92EApassthru_lod.nif in meshes\DynDOLOD\lod\trees\. Where is bug?

The log tells you that the matching 3D tree LOD file name needs to be treepineforestash01_05AD7632.

treepineforestash01_E31C92EA is not equal to treepineforestash01_05AD7632

Edited by sheson, 03 November 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#1737 Oliver

Oliver

Noble

• Citizen
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

I use RWT 2.1.1 and see this squares on marsh near Solitude

Lb71i_EzZbU.jpg

#1738 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

I use RWT 2.1.1 and see this squares on marsh near Solitude
Lb71i_EzZbU.jpg

Good for you.

#1739 Soulmancer

Soulmancer

Thane

• Citizen
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:26 PM

DynDOLOD does not change how LOD works or the engine works.

Read the chapter How LOD works in Skyrim.

For example, it tells you the max draw distance is about a 100 cells and that a cell is 4096 units.

Maybe also have a look at https://wiki.step-pr...SkyrimPrefs_INI or other resources that explain INI settings.

Hi sir,

These are the settings I am talking about.

https://wiki.step-pr.../TerrainManager

I might sound like a newb but does fBlock1LevelDistance begin after fBlock0LevelDistance? Is a max value for say fBlock0LevelDistance and fSplitDistanceMult specificly?  Or is this all covered in the chapter you refer to that I should read?

100 x 4096 ... so if I set LOD Level 4 to 406,600 does that mean level 16 would never even be used?  And 

#1740 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:53 AM

Hi sir,

These are the settings I am talking about.

https://wiki.step-pr.../TerrainManager

I might sound like a newb but does fBlock1LevelDistance begin after fBlock0LevelDistance? Is a max value for say fBlock0LevelDistance and fSplitDistanceMult specificly?  Or is this all covered in the chapter you refer to that I should read?

100 x 4096 ... so if I set LOD Level 4 to 406,600 does that mean level 16 would never even be used?  And

Read the chapter How LOD works in Skyrim in the DynDOLOD manual.
For example, it explains which INI setting affects which LOD level.

If you set insane values for LOD level 4 then most likely LOD level 8/16/32 will not be visible.
It goes without saying that higher LOD level should have higher values than lower LOD levels.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyndolod, lod, special edition, sse

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users