• Please log in to reply
2119 replies to this topic

#2116 Bluegunk

Bluegunk

Thane

• Citizen
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:57 AM

PS - I'm just sorting out using xLodGen so I might be on the path to sorting this...

May I please ask for some 'good practice' advice? 

In the past I've happily generated LOD but vanilla issues such as distance seams in water have been an irritant.

Here's what I mean:   https://i.postimg.cc...ater-seams.jpg 

I use Real Water 2, and regardless of using vanilla water or this mod, these distant seams occur. The same in other large bodies of water and the sea.

I believe they are a vanilla issue, and mods like RW2 only serve to show it up more.  

How should I best go about blending or hiding these seams? Can I use INI file adjustments? Achieve it through Dyndolod, or other mods? I'd like to get this right before running Dyndolod.

I've searched for advice but I think here might be the best place for an answer.

To be clear: I'm not talking about local seams caused by mods (Like TAWOBA)! I'm pretty much on top of those and familiar with them. I've also checked this Lakeview area for water variances.

Any guidance would be most helpful. Many thanks!

Edited by Bluegunk, 10 October 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#2117 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:45 AM

PS - I'm just sorting out using xLodGen so I might be on the path to sorting this...

May I please ask for some 'good practice' advice? 

In the past I've happily generated LOD but vanilla issues such as distance seams in water have been an irritant.

Here's what I mean:   https://i.postimg.cc...ater-seams.jpg 

I use Real Water 2, and regardless of using vanilla water or this mod, these distant seams occur. The same in other large bodies of water and the sea.

I believe they are a vanilla issue, and mods like RW2 only serve to show it up more.  

How should I best go about blending or hiding these seams? Can I use INI file adjustments? Achieve it through Dyndolod, or other mods? I'd like to get this right before running Dyndolod.

I've searched for advice but I think here might be the best place for an answer.

To be clear: I'm not talking about local seams caused by mods (Like TAWOBA)! I'm pretty much on top of those and familiar with them. I've also checked this Lakeview area for water variances.

Any guidance would be most helpful. Many thanks!

DynDOLOD generates tree and object LOD.

Cell water is part of terrain LOD. The water record used water LOD is defined on the worldspace record. Active cells can each have their own water record or use the default one from the worldspace record, however water LOD can only ever have that one record for the entire worldspace.

The terrain LOD meshes define where the LOD water planes are. The water LOD shader that defines how it actually looks is applied in game.

Consequently, LOD generation does not change how LOD water looks or vice versa, the LOD water record defined on the worldspace record does not affect LOD generation.

Edited by sheson, 10 October 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#2118 Bluegunk

Bluegunk

Thane

• Citizen
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

DynDOLOD generates tree and object LOD.

Cell water is part of terrain LOD. The water record used water LOD is defined on the worldspace record. Active cells can each have their own water record or use the default one from the worldspace record, however water LOD can only ever have that one record for the entire worldspace.

The terrain LOD meshes define where the LOD water planes are. The water LOD shader that defines how it actually looks is applied in game.

Consequently, LOD generation does not change how LOD water looks or vice versa, the LOD water record defined on the worldspace record does not affect LOD generation.

Thank you. Yes, I forgot Dyndolod is the bits and pieces.  I've since generated terrain and water LOD using xLODGEN but I still have the distant seams.  

Even on a vanilla game I get these 'patches' where the water detail and vanilla flow appear to change in a line with distance from player.

Perhaps these can't be changed. Thanks for your help!

#2119 sheson

sheson

Talos

• Mod Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Thank you. Yes, I forgot Dyndolod is the bits and pieces.  I've since generated terrain and water LOD using xLODGEN but I still have the distant seams.  

Even on a vanilla game I get these 'patches' where the water detail and vanilla flow appear to change in a line with distance from player.

Perhaps these can't be changed. Thanks for your help!

If both cell water and LOD water use the same water record it should be pretty identical, usually. In any case, it is not anything that can be affected by LOD generation or vice versa.

#2120 Bluegunk

Bluegunk

Thane

• Citizen
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:09 AM

If both cell water and LOD water use the same water record it should be pretty identical, usually. In any case, it is not anything that can be affected by LOD generation or vice versa.

I've completed all my Lodding again (and it all went well, thank you for the tools you kindly provide).

I waded through SSEEdit and compared any conflicting water records, but after a while my eyes started to melt. RW2 is at the end of my load order and wins, and I can't see any discrepancy over Skyrim and Update, and I lost the will to live after multiple columns.

I have the variations in height caused by mod author actions all accounted for, so I don't get those mod-caused seams.

Please don't waste any of your time on this; I was really looking for advice and you have kindly provided that thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyndolod, lod, special edition, sse

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users