CTD when approaching/teleporting to Collage of Winterhold

Fatpig

Question

Hi,

I just recently finished installing the "Lexy's: Legacy of the Dragonborn - Special Edition" guide (https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/User:Darkladylexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE) and I'm having some problems with the Collage of Winterhold.

I've been playing and testing for several hours without any problems, but I noticed that as soon as I approach/teleport to the Collage of Winterhold I get an immediate CTD. I can see the Collage just fine from afar but when I enter a certain range of the Collage (a couple of feet past the Winterhold inn), it immediately crashes without even producing a crash log.

I know for a fact that it's DynDOLOD because as soon as I de-activate it, it works just fine i.e I can run around and enter the Collage as I please without any problems. As soon as I turn on DynDOLOD though, I get an immediate crash. I even re-did the DynDOLOD just to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes and I followed these instructions to the letter: 

Make sure DynDOLOD64.exe has been added as an executable in Mod Organizer 2.
Run DynDOLOD using Mod Organizer.
In the popup window Select where you want the DynDOLOD Output to go (For the purpose of the guide I recommend selecting the Mod Organizer 2 Mods Folder).
click [Advanced >>>].
In the top left selection box, check all of the boxes by right-clicking and then clicking "Select All".
Below the preset buttons, check the boxes marked "Candles" and "FXGlow".
In the options panel, tick the "Generate static LOD", "Generate DynDOLOD" "Windows", "High", "Fake lights in child worlds" "Create texture atlas" checkboxes.
In the options panel change Max tile size to "512".
Click the [High] preset button (If you have a 4GB card and are not use Ultra trees you can select the Medium preset).
Click [OK], this will begin the LOD generation process (can take up to 30 minutes).
Once the execution has completed, select [save & Exit] to close the window then click [OK] on the following window to close the program.
Navigate to the DynDOLOD Output directory <Mod Organizer 2 path\mods\DynDOLOD Output> place it below TexGen Output in the Left Pane of Mod Organizer 2 and activate it.
Manually place DynDOLOD.esm after Gray Fox Cowl.esm.

Also, here is my modwatch: https://modwat.ch/u/Fatpig/plugins

Could it have something to do with Immersive Collage of Winterhold? I really don't know and I would appreciate any help I could get.

3 answers to this question

FAQ: Game: ILS or CTD

A: More LOD uses more memory and this can cause infinite loading screen (ILS) or crash to desktop (CTD) if the game is not setup correctly. This should generally not be a problem with Skyrim Special Edition or Skyrim VR, but for Skyrim double check heap memory usage (block 1) with Memory Blocks Log from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/ and adjust SKSE or SSME memory settings. Or use alternative OSAllocator from crash fixes with pre-loader. Remove satefy-load if it is used to verify it doesn't cause CTD. Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini 

A: Do not use the experimental TreeFullFallBack setting without understanding what it does and what it is for. 

A: If heap memory is not the cause of CTD see ..DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD-README.txt for checking if a missing or invalid nif model used for dynamic LOD is the cause. 

Let us know if doing all of the different troubleshooting steps outlined in the readme revealed anything or not.
Edited by sheson