Huge fps drop in snowy forest area until I restart the game

cinemagic

Question

I'm playing with Skyrim LE and Dyndolod 2.54 LE version, with out LODGen.

When I go to some snowy forest area, like travelling from whiterun to dawnstar all along the main road, my fps will gradually(not suddenly, weired) drop from 50 to 40 on average, then to 30, then to even 15. While I'm facing north towards dawnstar from the giant camp near it, the fps is 60, then I turn around to face the snowy forests to the south, the fps is 20.

Even when I go indoor afterward the fps loss won't recover, I'll get a 40fps indoor, it lasts until I restart the game.

I've tried switching from EVT to SFO, Or lower my ini LOD settings using Bethini from High to Medium then to Low, but all with no effect.

Finally with Dyndolod uninstalled the problem was gone.

My mod build is pretty light on landscape retexture or enhancements, but a bit script heavy, with Requiem and some loverslab mods.

Landscape, tree, grass and LOD related mods are (in MO mod order):

HD LOD Texture

Skyrim High Definition LODs - Darker and Grassy

Noble Skyrim

aMidianBorn Landscapes

SFO Tree only 2.6 and its billboards

RAT

2K Parallax Treebark

MX Grass (from enb particle patch topic)

Skyrim HighPoly Fern Meshes (same as previous)

Unblievable Grasses 2 Redux

Better Dynamic Snow

Better Dynamic Ash

Blended Roads (normal option, not REAlly Blended)

Immersive Fallen Trees

Transperant and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach

and a mod that add some new dungeons or buildings but I don't think they are much related to LOD change.

Lagacy of the Dragonborn

Now I only use LODGen, the typical fps in those snowy forest is firmly 72, I use Havok Fix (SKSE plugin) and limit fps to 72 through Nvidia profile inspectator.

My rig spec is i7 4770 + GTX1070 8GB + 16GB RAM +  128GB SSD for system + 256GB SSD for skyrim and MO(PCI Slot) + AOC 144hz monitor

Does anyone got smillar problem like this?

Edited by cinemagic

3 answers to this question

Nobody else ever reported a problem like this.

This sounds like the game is overloaded / out of resources.

You did not mention what preset and settings you used to generate the LOD patch.

Make sure to use ENBoost.  If using Crash Fixes UseOSAllocators=1 make sure CustomMemoryBlock does not hit 100%. Test how things work with the native memory manager and the SKSE memory patch.

Enable papyrus logging and check if there are error messages. It is possible that some script heavy mod is causing problems and then drags the lightweight scripting from DynDOLOD with it. In addition to lower preset you could test how things work when not checking Generate DynDOLOD / or lower the Near/Far Grid values.

Nobody else ever reported a problem like this.

This sounds like the game is overloaded / out of resources.

You did not mention what preset and settings you used to generate the LOD patch.

Make sure to use ENBoost.  If using Crash Fixes UseOSAllocators=1 make sure CustomMemoryBlock does not hit 100%. Test how things work with the native memory manager and the SKSE memory patch.

Enable papyrus logging and check if there are error messages. It is possible that some script heavy mod is causing problems and then drags the lightweight scripting from DynDOLOD with it. In addition to lower preset you could test how things work when not checking Generate DynDOLOD / or lower the Near/Far Grid values.

I'm using mostly default settings for TexGen and DyndoLod, in DyndoLod I select "medium" setting and -3 brightness for tree LOD, no change on the rest.

I'm playing with Rudy vanilla weather enb preset, does that mean I already use Enboost? Or I have to turn SpeedhackWithoutGraphics on?

Custom memory block in Crash fixes is set 256mb, checking in console the usage is floating around 50-60%.

What is native memory manager? Should I turn UseOSAllocators off? I have the SKSE patch with default values(HeapInitial=768 & Heapsize=256)in SKSE.ini.

I'll rebuild dyndolod later and check the papyrus log. The gradually loss of fps also makes me suspect that it's a script problem. Thanks for the support!

Edited by cinemagic

Refer to guides how to setup/configure ENBoost. Make sure to set ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=True and  ReservedMemorySizeMb= as low as possible without crossing cell borders causing stutter. It doesn't have to be a specific value (some guides use steps like 64, 128, 256 - but it can 113 too for example). For example https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

Set Custom Memory Block in Crash Fixes as low as possible, just so that the memory values reported in console do no reach 100%, aim for 80%-90%. The value can also be any number, it doesn't have to be a multiply of anything either.

The native memory manager is what UseOSAllocators=1 disables. As a last resort, if everything else has been checked/set and tested, it is a good idea to see if it works better or worse. With UseOSAllocators=0, set DefaultHeap in SKSE.INI as low as possible with the help of Memory Blocks Log. Again, the values can be any number and do not have to be a multiple of anything.