Unable to change the DynDolod LOD textures

Midona

Question

Hi there, I have tried to look through the documentation to understand what the issue is but I can't find a fix so...

Using xLodGen I am able to generate a texture atlas and static ldo for objects including dwemer structure, this however seems to skip objects around whiterun (see pictured wall)

https://i.imgur.com/P554Nj6.jpg

I thus remove said generated data and go on to try to do it with texgen + dyndolod, In your documentation you recommend disabling large ref objects (I assume by setting to 0 in prefs) and then proceed to check the large ref box in dyndolod, some objects get correctly generated lods, some don't again, this seems fairly arbitrary, whiterun is still the biggest issue where nothing seems to get the right lod textures. What am I even looking for, from what I can see WHWall or whatever is untouched by dyndolod thus meaning it isn't even controlled by dyndolod?

2 answers to this question

From the TexGen Manual

This [...] doesn't work for pre-rendered textures like the town LOD textures, distant mountain peaks or glaciers for example. Having a look at the object LOD source textures like textures\lod\wrbuildingslod01.dds for town buildings and comparing them to tileable landscape textures makes it clear. The town LOD textures are rendered from the full models and not a simple derivative of a full texture. They were then processed with an image program to create the final LOD textures.

There is currently no way to automatically update the pre-rendered LOD textures. If a mod replaces the full textures of Whiterun it should also include manually updated pre-rendered LOD textures.

DynDOLOD never updates any LOD source textures, it just uses them to build the atlas textures.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

So basically if you are working outside vanilla Noble is the only texturepack that works with the outer whiterun wall and buildings due to it having a lod that supports it, the transition otherwise is just to jarring then. I think I missunderstood that part and thought it was the interior terrain mesh and buildings and not the outer wall.