Open Cities Patch for DynDOLOD

burgus34

Question

Heyhey,

I followed the instructions in your 2016 tutorial video.

I did not understand it wholly though. The part with the open cities patch.

I did the following:

1. I prepared everything, installed everything I needed, just like in the tut.

2. I skipped the whole "Execution & Explanation" part and first did what you described in "Mod Specific Installation - Open Cities".

2a. That means I did run DynDOLOD once with the three checks on static lod, tree lod and texture atlas; then I edited the .ini file and then ran DynDOLOD again with only Generate DynDOLOD checked. Again, like shown in the video.

3. Then I packed the outocme of that work (save&exit the second time) and installed it in MO2.

4. I went to the "Execution & Explanation" part and did the texture part.

5. Now when I want to run DynDOLOD "normally" I don't know what to do exactly.

Do I again change the ini file and add the Open Cities warning back in?

If I do so there's the warning that I need to deactivate Open Cities in MO. When I do that there's the warning that I already have a DynDOLOD.esp activated (the one I created when doing the Open Cities patch thing).

As you can see, I'm pretty confused about which steps to do when. Did I do it correctly so far?

How do I proceed now? What do I activate when running DynDOLOD "normally"? What do I replace?

Thanks for your help in advance, you're doing great work!

8 answers to this question

Read the included Manual Custom Settings For Specific Mods - Open Cities Skyrim

Going by your list the LOD generation would be complete after the two runs and installing everything as a mod in MO in step 3.

No idea what you are trying to do in 4 and later. You probably should do that beforehand.

If you want to generate LOD again later because of updates or changes, start from scratch again.

Consider watching the video from GamerPoets once or read the instructions in the manual.

Edited by sheson

I did watch the video and read the manual.

In the video they say that I should follow the Custom Settings first and then generate the LOD. That's what I did in 4 and later.

So the way I understood it was:

1. Generate LOD for Open Cities (i.e. Custom Settings For Specific Mods - Open Cities Skyrim)

2. Generate LOD (following the general/basic/non-OpenCities instruction)

So would I only need to to the Open Cities part? When do I run TexGen then?

The manual and videos instruct to run TexGen before DynDOLOD to first update some of the LOD textures used by DynDOLOD. All linked video show running TexGen and installing its output before DynDLOD. 

...consider updating LOD textures with TexGen.exe for the load order first...

[...]

Start DynDOLOD.exe....

Then for Open Cities, generating LOD with DynDOLOD.exe becomes a two step process.

Alright, so to sum things up in my own words, to make sure I really got it right:

(0. It's probably best to delete everything I did so far with DynDOLOD, to make sure I don't mess things up.)

1. I run TexGen and install its output.

2. I run DynDOLOD and follow the instructions of the "Open Cities Mod Specific Installation".

3. It's finished now already and I ignore the instructions of the "basic" installation.

Is that right so?

Then I have another question.

In the Skyrim.ini under [Archive] I have to make sure that there's a specific line.

However, it looks different in my file. It looks like this:

[Archive]

bLoadArchiveInMemory=1

sArchiveToLoadInMemoryList=Skyrim - Animations.bsa

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures2.bsa, Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, Skyrim - Textures4.bsa, Skyrim - Textures5.bsa, Skyrim - Textures6.bsa, Skyrim - Textures7.bsa, Skyrim - Textures8.bsa, Skyrim - Patch.bsa

So what do I do then? Do I replace the "sResourceArchiveList=..." line with the one from the manual?

Still another question:

In the Archives TAB(!) (nothing to do with the archive line in the ini file above) in MO2, there is no Option "Have MO manage archives" that I could check or uncheck. Can I ignore this step? It's around 18:40 in the tutorial vid.

Alright, so to sum things up in my own words, to make sure I really got it right:

(0. It's probably best to delete everything I did so far with DynDOLOD, to make sure I don't mess things up.)

1. I run TexGen and install its output.

2. I run DynDOLOD and follow the instructions of the "Open Cities Mod Specific Installation".

3. It's finished now already and I ignore the instructions of the "basic" installation.

Is that right so?

Then I have another question.

In the Skyrim.ini under [Archive] I have to make sure that there's a specific line.

However, it looks different in my file. It looks like this:

[Archive]

bLoadArchiveInMemory=1

sArchiveToLoadInMemoryList=Skyrim - Animations.bsa

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures2.bsa, Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, Skyrim - Textures4.bsa, Skyrim - Textures5.bsa, Skyrim - Textures6.bsa, Skyrim - Textures7.bsa, Skyrim - Textures8.bsa, Skyrim - Patch.bsa

So what do I do then? Do I replace the "sResourceArchiveList=..." line with the one from the manual?

Still another question:

In the Archives TAB(!) (nothing to do with the archive line in the ini file above) in MO2, there is no Option "Have MO manage archives" that I could check or uncheck. Can I ignore this step? It's around 18:40 in the tutorial vid.

Instead of running DynDOLOD ones it needs to be run twice with the different options and setting for Open Cities. Everything else still applies.

The GamerPoets video was made for Skyrim. Your sResourceArchiveLists are correct for Skyrim Special Edition.

Manage Archive was an option in MO1. It does not exist in MO2 anymore, so it doesn't need to be deactivated.

I did it! It's working!

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Despite everything working fine apparently (LODs look great, Whiterun glitch is fixed) I get error messages ingame in the upper left corner.

There are three errors, I couldn't read them whole but they were something like this:

1. requires Papyrus Util (which I have installed, so strange?)

2. cannot find master data in none

3. cannot find Tamriel in DynDOLOD worlds

Do you know how to fix this? And why are the LODs looking just fine despite these errors?

As I'm not able to edit my old post, here's an update:

I noticed that I accidently got the Papyrus for Oldrim, no SE.

Switching to the SE version fixed my issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by burgus34