Getting several different errors when using MO2 that I don't know how to fix.

Leorlev

Question

Let me preface this by saying I am not good with computers, I usually rely on guides and without them I get confused easily.

I have used Mod Organizer 2 before months ago and I had no errors then, I was able to download several mods and they worked in-game until I had some conflicts and moved onto different games. I decided to try again and am now experiencing several errors that I don't know how to fix. Here are the 4 errors.

"Some of your profile-specific game INI files were missing. They will now be copied from the vanilla game folder. You might want to double check your settings."

This error appeared when I reinstalled MO2 and selected a game.

"Failed to write mod list: failed to open temporary file"

This error appears a lot. When I open MO2, close it, and I have to close the message repeatedly when I start the game (the game still runs).

"Failed to save mod list: failed to open temporary file"

This error appears when I start the game and close MO2.

"An error occurred: failed to open temporary file"

This error appears after I exit the game.

However, the strangest thing is that these errors stopped briefly. For around 2 hours I was able to open and close MO2 and run the game with no errors appearing until they came back.

Does anyone know how to fix these errors? If not do you know where I can help to fix them? Any and all help is appreciated.

4 answers to this question

"Some of your profile-specific game INI files were missing. They will now be copied from the vanilla game folder. You might want to double check your settings."

You're running using instances (selecting a game instead of selecting portable). This means MO2 is using the AppData folder for the user logged into the system. If you've switched from portable mode to using instances or created a new profile, then the INIs may not have been present for the profile and MO2 simply grabbed the default ones to use. Nothing to worry about, but you'll want to run BethINI on the MO2 profile you're using.

"Failed to write mod list: failed to open temporary file"

Sounds like it can't access or write to the file it needs. Where is MO2 installed?

"Failed to save mod list: failed to open temporary file"

"An error occurred: failed to open temporary file"

These are likely the same issue was the second one above.

You're running using instances (selecting a game instead of selecting portable). This means MO2 is using the AppData folder for the user logged into the system. If you've switched from portable mode to using instances or created a new profile, then the INIs may not have been present for the profile and MO2 simply grabbed the default ones to use. Nothing to worry about, but you'll want to run BethINI on the MO2 profile you're using.

Sounds like it can't access or write to the file it needs. Where is MO2 installed?

Let me start by saying thank you for responding, been having these issues for several days now and this is the first help I've got.

Thank you for clearing up the INI, I will try to figure out how to run BethINI on MO2.

I installed MO2 in pretty much the same location as I did months ago, a folder on my main computer area/drive(I forget what that place is called, sorry for my computer-stupidity). It looks like this, "This PC/Windows8_OS/Modding". Modding is the name of the main folder and has 2 other folders in it, the base directory for mods of the game I want to change(I set that up that path when I selected the game), and the main MO2 folder that was made when I installed the program. The only other folder that contains MO2 files is a Local AppData folder.

Your install location is likely the problem then. MO2 (and all other Skyrim related files) should not be installed in a OS Folder or a Program Files Folder, as these are all protected by Windows UAC, which doesn't like other programs making changes to it's files. You need to move them outside of these locations, then give it another shot - you may get better results.

Your install location is likely the problem then. MO2 (and all other Skyrim related files) should not be installed in a OS Folder or a Program Files Folder, as these are all protected by Windows UAC, which doesn't like other programs making changes to it's files. You need to move them outside of these locations, then give it another shot - you may get better results.

Thank you for assistance. I actually fixed the problem earlier today and was coming back to post what I did. I uninstalled both the game, Fallout 3 in this case, and MO2 so that nothing remained on my computer related to them. I then reinstalled Fallout 3 and MO2 and was successfully able to link them with no errors about 'failed to open temporary file' occurring. Downloading and adding mods also work fine.