Would it be possible to keep old versions on Nexus? Or maybe delete them after a set period of time?

BelmontBoy

Question

DynDOLOD updates at a breakneck pace (which is awesome), and it's sometimes difficult to keep up with the updates where modlists are concerned.

Would it be possible to keep older versions hosted in the Old Files section of the Nexus in the interim while modlist authors like myself work to update our modlists?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and in general for your guys' incredible work.

4 answers to this question

I definitely understand that perspective, and personally update my own guide (Ultimate Skyrim) as frequently as possible, but we're trying to prioritize installation through Automaton, which currently breaks if a designated file is removed from the Nexus servers.

The Automaton installation can be updated same as a guide, but in cases where we cannot update the install immediately, hosting older versions would at least prevent the install from totally breaking until we have a chance to update. (I know the Automaton dev team is also working to allow users to skip specific downloads in such cases, but until that functionality is available, keeping older versions is the only viable workaround I can think of.)

My thinking is that a working Automaton installation on a slightly outdated version of DynDOLOD is preferable to no working installation at all, but I can also understand how you may not agree and/or have any interest in supporting this installation method, and of course it is entirely your prerogative. I just figured I'd ask!

Older DynDOLOD Resources that have been replaced are not compatible with newer DynDOLOD Standalone versions.

For example: DynDOLOD Resources 2.59 should not be used with DynDOLOD Standadoine 2.60 or 2.61, because a newer DynDOLOD Resources 2.60 has been released, which should be used instead.

DynDOLOD Resources are tied to rules, options and features of the "matching" DynDOLOD Standalone and vice versa.

In the last couple days I had to witness consumers desperately trying to fulfill an outdated third party guide/tool by trying to get hold of an outdated version, which they probably used with the latest DynDOLOD Standalone. Nobody should install or use an outdated and sometimesoften buggy version once an update has been released, even it might just work out in this particular case.

This is a problem the third party guide or tool needs to solve either through a better software solution or updated instructions (manual download).