popping

pickle

Question

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It is hard to tell with the video compression, is this from no trees to LOD trees (that would be normal depending on the object LOD distances of the different LOD levels), or is it from smaller LOD trees to bigger LOD trees (that would be wrong)?

Popping: a model comes into existing out of nowhere

Transition: a model changes to to another

here is the same scene with no dyndolod. the tree lod is there but stays a lod.

https://streamable.com/7z4g0

in the first video the trees look the same (sorry for quality) as this video, they just pop into 3d trees as you move from really far away. if changing my lod levels might help im willing to test

it seems to be smaller tree lod, into bigger to lod, which seems to be wrong.

If 3D trees are correct sizes and match the full models, but the further away billboards used in the higher LOD levels do not, then the billboards dds textures or their optional accompanying txt files are not the right ones for the full models.

The billboards should also be too small in the second video when they transition into the full models, no?

The log lists the 3D models used for LOD4 and the billboard.dds textures used used for LOD8/16 for each tree. EVT Skyrim version should be fine in all these regards if installed right. Make sure there is no other mods overwriting any of the billboard dds or txt files.

i disbaled tree mods and only use evt/billboards. i even tested with evt and kept tree lusness and size vanill, and the trees wouls pop from a billboard into a weird 3d lod like in the video. the 2nd video where there is no popping the billboard or lod just stays billboard/lod at the same distance.

i tried messing with object lod distances ib ini and set them max, but didnt do anything. so does that mean its some issue between lod level 4 and 8?

for lad order i have

evt

evt billboards

srg activator

dyn textures

dyn output

What do you mean "weird 3d lod"?

Either the height and visuals of 3D LOD from the first video matches the full model or the height and visuals of the billboards from the second video match the full model. If both match the height and visuals of full the models, their heights and visuals also should match each other in the distance.

Obviously there always will be a transition if billboards switch to 3D LOD models and 3D LOD switch to full model. But typically the billboards and 3D LOD models should be close in height and appearance to the full model and automatically to each other.

Unless there are LODGen errors and the object LOD is incomplete or overwriten by other mods.

Edited by sheson

sorry by weitr 3d lods i meant that the billboards (not sure if that it, but ill call it that) look the same from a distance as they do without dyndolod installed. both vidoes the intial trees look the same from far away. but in tje dyn video thw trees pop to what looks like a 3d lod, not full trees.

Yes that is what ultra tree LOD is:

Full models in the loaded cells, then the 3D LOD tree LOD models in the nearest LOD level 4, then the usual 2D billboard tree LOD in the further LOD level 8 and 16.

Nothing weird about that.

However, it seems that the second video might not be billboard tree LOD generated by DynDOLOD? Generate that, so you can see if the billboards you have installed match the full models. They probably aren't and that is why they also do not match the 3D tree LOD.

Edited by sheson

i just tested by changing lod 8 from billboard to static lod 8 and there was no pop. 

what  i was getting, was the trees were not matching as i moved back and forth. the billboard/lod was a different size then the one that popped in

https://streamable.com/zlboj this video shows it pretty good, though still blurry. the trees popping in are not the same height

>i just tested by changing lod 8 from billboard to static lod 8 and there was no pop. 

Yes of course, if both LOD level use the same LOD assets the transition will be invisible.

As I already mentioned several times, most likely the installed billboards are used for LOD 8/16 are wrong. 

Since I have to assume by now that you would have mentioned it in case the 3D tree LOD assets do not match the full model trees, which means the installed 3D LOD models must be correct.

As I already explained check if the installed billboards as they are listed in the log are the correct ones.

If you generate normal tree LOD with DynDOLOD with the currently installed billboards, the wrong billboards with the height/visual difference will be right beyond the loaded cells, at LOD level 4 and probably much easier to troubleshoot.

it 

As I already mentioned several times, most likely the installed billboards are used for LOD 8/16 are wrong. 

Since I have to assume by now that you would have mentioned it in case the 3D tree LOD assets do not match the full model trees, which means the installed 3D LOD models must be correct.

it definely looks like my 3d lod assests dont the full tree lod. 3d tree lod are not the same size, or type of tree that the "full" trees are. 

here what it should look like if the 3d trees matched the lod right? 
https://ibb.co/XsyGRc8

but heres what i see with lod 4 static, lod 8/16 as billboard one as i move in and out 

here is my log file. do you see any issues/what went wrong. Im using the right evt/billboards and srg acivator. using the same setup for evt/billboards large,custom lush, vurt 1, snow trees. I dont know where the missing files are. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg8rflo3fh0u729/DynDOLOD_TES5VR_log.txt?dl=0

so comparing images, it seems those billboards do look the same size, shape. just low quality and seem to pop in that exact spot. im going to try and do max quality in texgen and dyndolod. someone had mentioned to me to try billboard 3 instead of just billboard bc that is better quality. is that true?

I suggest to ignore any and all third party guides or opinions until the true issue is actually understood. 

>it definely looks like my 3d lod assests dont the full tree lod. 3d tree lod are not the same size, or type of tree that the "full" trees are. 

It  "looks like" ?

Forget everything else for now. Lets solve and clear up this first.

When the full model tree is switched to/from the 3D LOD model they match in visuals and more importantly in height? 

Yes or No?

OK, now lets check the installed billboards.

To test them and only them, hide/disable your current LOD mod with the 3D tree LOD and generate a new DynDOLOD from scratch without 3D tree LOD so it only uses the installed billboards for all tree LOD.

Do that just by changing the "tree" mesh rule to Billboard for all 3 LOD levels.

Then test if the height of the 2D tree LOD matches the height of the full models. They should be close visually, but obviously with the typical 2D billboard limitations.

Edited by sheson

ok, so i will delete my current dyndolod output/texgen. rerun dyndold and make all lod levels billboard. doing this now

and i till turn treelod=1 in ini to made sure 3d tree lod is off

So, if ran it. 

the 2d billboards match

here is the tree in the middle of the island is lod/billboard

here it is when i get closer and it loads into a full model

they match perfectly. you can see the distant trees look the same as in the video I first posted, that would pop in and out. its the exact same look from the distant trees. so with 3d trees, those distanant trees are the same across 2nd trees and 3d trees. except the 3d trees would pop insta pop at the guardian stone 

the pics are all blurry bc i zoomed in on a screenshot. they look good in game.