DynDOLOD causing CTD on launch in Skyrim SE

BetaFalcon13

Question

So my game crashes after the Bethesda logo while loading the main menu. I have narrowed the issue down to something relating to DynDOLOD, as the game launches fine if I deactivate DynDOLOD.esp, and only crashes if that plugin is activated. I'm using MO2, and I have merged most of my compatibility patches into a single plugin. I would like to use the mod, as I've been using it for as long as it's been around and I would notice immediately if it were missing, so i would like to find a way to fix this issue

My load order:

https://pastebin.com/ke468MBV

15 answers to this question

Make all your INIs default as the most basic first troubleshooting step.

Make sure there are no missing masters. Set [General] EnableDiagnostics=1 in SKSE.INI

Check all plugins for errors. Fix errors as much as possible. Most records in the DynDOLOD plugins are created by copying and then modifying records from the other plugins in the load order.

Check the generation log for warning and errors.

Check c:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\skse64.log for errors

Enabled Papyrus logging in Skyrim.INI and check if c:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Logs\Script\Papyrus.0.log for clues

Post the logs if you need help deciphering them.

Check if the load order exceeds the persistent reference cap https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ag4wm7/psa_the_reference_handle_cap_or_diagnosing_one_of/

If none of the above helped we can try selectively removing batches of records from the plugin until only the data causing the problem remains.

Edited by sheson

There are no missing masters, and I already checked the SKSE log for a different reason (MO was telling me that two plugins had incompatible versions, which I have since fixed) Knowing my load order, it's probably that I'm hitting the reference cap, checking now

Edit: Okay, so here are the results, which I must say are both relieving and troubling: "Found 155728 temporary and 105989 persistent loaded references, for a grand total of 261717 loaded references."

So if that's the case, then references aren't the issue, because I highly doubt that DynDOLOD could add 786859 references by itself to my load order

Edited by BetaFalcon13

Okay, so the only thing in DynDOLOD's log file that seems out of the ordinary is that there appear to be a bunch of missing files related to Beyond Skyrim: Bruma. I also realised that there actually doesn't appear to be a patch for the two on the nexus for Skyrim SE, but there is one for Oldrim. So my question here is is that patch necessary to avoid CTD, and if so, does the one for Oldrim work?

While the ref cap does not seem to be reach, count references with all plugins enabled, including DynDLOD.esp.

There is no patch required for Beyond Skyrm: Bruma. There is a mod mod that provides some of the missing LOD assets Beyond Skyrm: Bruma is missing.

There certainly are no patches required to not have CTD.

Even with DynDOLOD.esp loaded, it still only says "Found 179458 temporary and 116469 persistent loaded references, for a grand total of 295927 loaded references." So references I would imagine couldn't be the issue. That said, I'm not that familiar with xEdit, and looking at the log there appear to be plugins whose references aren't listed. Does this mean that these plugins lack persistent/temporary references, does xEdit simply not show everything, or are they somehow being skipped by the script?

Edited by BetaFalcon13

The script for xEdit only lists plugins that contribute to that count.

Looks like persistent reference count is fine. 

Do the remaining check like the Papyrus logging.

If easily possible install .NET Script Framework and post the crash report. That would require to downgrade game, SKSE and DLL mods. If you are not experienced/comfortable doing that skip this.

Install SSE Engine Fixes.

While probably unrelated to the issue, you may want to check why so many scripts are missing from the mods. Lines like

Cannot open store for class "*", missing file?

The name inside the quotes is the name of the *.pex script file. It is possible the mods are just not well maintained after changes have been made and they kind of work OK. 

Since the papyrus messages do not mention the plugins referencing the missing scripts, you can use the attached updated version of the xEdit script "Skyrim - List used scripts.pas" to create a Scripts report.txt that you then can search for the script name. The files replaces the existing one in the xEdit/Edit Scripts/ folder. In xEdit, mark all but the vanilla plugins in the left window, then right click "Apply Script..." It will take a while.

To find the problematic record in DynDOLOD.esp do a binary search:

1. Make a backup of the plugin

2. Remove half the records

3. If problem still happens, go to 1.

4. If problem does not happen, restore backup, remove the other half of records, goto 3.

In the end you should have a nearly empty plugin that only contains the record causing the issue.

Since there a different types of records that rely on each other, start with first removing worldspaces, one by one. Only drill down into the last remaining worldspace if necessary.

In case the problem still happens without any worldspaces left, the remaining types can be removed in any order.

Skyrim - List used scripts.7z

Edited by sheson

xEdits left window shows a tree view of all [+] plugins.esm/.esp/.esl 

You mark a plugin (or any line) the normal Windows way with a left mouse click. You mark several by holding SHIFT or CTRL while clicking left mouse button.

Then right click any of the marked ones to "Apply Script..."

To remove records from [+] DynDOLOD.esp, click [+] to unfold. Then click [+] Worldspace to unfold them etc.

Whenever you have a [+] "group" or even a single record marked, you can remove it (and all its children if there are any) with right click "Remove"

Edited by sheson

Okay, so this is an unrelated question, but if I were to go about making a patch to ensure compatibility between all of my mods in xEdit, would I just go through every record and forward the ones I want to win the conflicts into a new plugin?

The last plugin to overwrite a record wins. if sorting plugins can not be used to ensure the desired plugin/record winning you can create such a patch.

Make sure the load order is finalized before generating LOD. The DynDOLOD patcher uses the data from the wining plugins (highest possible overwrite) to build the DynDOLOD plugins.

Edited by sheson

The reason I because I need to make a patch to get most of my mods that add armors and the like to work with Survival mode (in order to still have needs and cold weather and such without having to use several plugins, since I'm one below the cap anyway) and I figure if I'm doing that I might as well patch everything else anyway, but I have sorted all of my plugins already, so other than that my load order is finalised.

Also, now that that script is done running, what exactly am I looking for in Scripts Report.txt? A missing script required by DynDOLOD.esp?

The papyrus log does not mention anything about DynDOLOD papyrus scripts missing. That's why we checked the log, but it seem fine for DynDOLOD itself.

While probably unrelated to the issue, you may want to check why so many scripts are missing

Cannot open store for class "DLCDwarvenPuzzleWinterFreezing", missing file?

The name inside the quotes is the name of the *.pex script file.

...create a Scripts report.txt that you then can search for the script name.

The report will print a script name and then list all plugins/record using it.

Edited by sheson