Mod Manager 2 and Skyrim LE vanilla only - crash @ start

Oromis22

Question

Hello to all my fellow modders,

First I would like to thank everyone who is involved in the creation of this awesome tool that is Mod Organizer 2. It is super convenient and I still want to use it  ::): . Virtualizing files to keep the install folder clean is such a clever idea ! But as long as this issue is not resolved, I am back to the old system of manual installation of mods  ::):

A little bit of context:

- I was using MO2 with SKSE, LOOT, ESP-translator, Wrye Bash, TesVedit plugins. Installed a few " standard mod" for Skyrim LE like SkyUI and auto-unequip. 

- Suddenly, MO2 started crashing on start, with a q5.dll file error.

- I deleted all mods, MO2, Appdata linked to it.

- I reinstalled skyrim LE properly from steam. 

- I re-installed a portable version of MO2.

- Bug is still Happening

I went through some troubleshooting.

- Windows 7 SP2

- MO2 is not installed in the same directory than Skyrim LE (MO2: D:\MO2 & skyrim: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim)

- MO2 is 2.0.2, Skyrim is LE, last steam version

- No other mods, SKSE, ... installed

- MO2 has admin rights. I did not installed support plugins for other games than Skyrim LE

- VcRedist x64 Installed

Right now I am stucked since it seems that the error has something to do with how MO2 manage its .dll file.  I don't know how to deal with this issue 

I would like to send you my .dmp and .log files from my last attempts but it seems that I can not upload it here. So I uploaded it in .7z format. 

Best,

Oromis

MO2.7z

Edited by Oromis22

5 answers to this question

If you are feeling adventurous you can download one of the release candidates from the Dev-Builds section of the Discord to try.

Just pick the archive version and install it in a different folder. You can then point this version to your 2.2.0 version folders to test without mucking up what you have already have done. 

The Dev-Builds have been vastly improved since the released version.

Thank you for your answer GSDFan. 

I did not post my issue on Discord yet. However, I tried the 2.2.1 version that was recently released on the Nexus. MO2 is still crashing on start :(. 

All the .dll files are there.

Time to poke the devs on Discord I guess :D 

(Sorry for double posting)

I found the issue while resolving bethesda.net launcher black screen bug :confusion: .  I am posting the process here so that it may help people facing the same issue.

Believe it or not (it still makes no sense to me), the issue was related to my display settings. On my Nvidia control pannel (resolution tab), Desktop Color Intensity was set on medium (16bit) instead of Native (32bit). Don't ask me why but I reverted the parameter to 32 bit and both Bethesda.net launcher and MO2 issues were fixed.

Please enlighten me because this makes no sense to me xD

Thank you all for your answers :)